‹ Prequel: Baby Steps
Status: Ongoig

Upside Down

Phonecall

Okay, I apologize in advance for this, but it needs to be discussed. Traveling in a bus for long periods of time with a six year old is way more difficult than originally planned. Sure, Tawny is a fantastic kid, but even the best get bored eventually. Plus she’s been awake on and off all morning. She’s been asking questions non-stop for almost two hours and we’re running low on patience.

“Mike if we don’t stop soon, I might explode.” Tony spoke quietly whole Jaime was distracting Tawny.

“We need to get her something else to distract her.” Vic groaned. I lifted my head from my hands. I had an idea.

“Where are we playing first?”

“Flagstaff, why?” Tony looked puzzled. I stood and made my way towards our driver.

“Hey, find the nearest music store.” Our driver glanced up at me momentarily.

“Jason will have a cow, Mike, you know that.” He protested.

“Eitherfind the closest music store or we unleash Tawny on you and Jason.” Ultimatums arealways fun.

“You got it.” He moved to adjust the GPS. As I walked back.

“Man, I really hope this works.” I sat back down by Tony, who had Tawny in his lap. She was playing with his hair, tying it into little braids.

“Tawny, sweetie.” She stopped her hands and turned to me.

“Yes, Uncle Mike?”

“I have a surprise for you.” Her face lit up instantly. “But you have to go play in the back lounge for a little while and give your uncles and I some time alone, okay?”

“Okie dokie!” She hopped off of Tony’s lap and bounded towards the back lounge.

“Finally.” Tony breathed.

“Surprise huh?” Jaime questioned.

“She obviously bored with whatever we have for her here so I figured we would find something for her to focus on at the music store.” Tony leaned over into my side and let out a sigh.

“I don’t care as long as we get a breather.” I chuckled and just stroked his head.

We arrived at a small music store in the middle of town not too late in the day. We took Tawny inside and let her wander around and look at all of the things in the store. My idea was to get her whatever caught her eye the most… except maybe a drum set. I mean, I would be so proud but that’s a lot of noise.

She gazed around at all of the instruments that were hanging on the walls, taking a moment to look at each one. Tony and I followed her around while Vic and Jaime looked through some of the vinyl. As she passed by a small teal guitar, she let out a small squeal and turned to us.

“Uncle Tony!” She jumped a little bit while holding onto the hem of his shirt. “Can I have that one?” Tony looked to me and I shrugged.

“Sure sweetie, but you have to promise that you’ll take care of it and to practice hard okay?”

“Okay!” She threw her arms around the both of us and then ran towards Vic and Jaime. We could hear her telling them about it as I grabbed the guitar from the wall. Her eyes were so lit up with Joy, that even if this were a drum kit, I doubt I would have said no. I’m such a pushover for children.

I took the instrument up to the counter and paid for it, a case, and a stand. The entire time I was being rung up, I kept thinking about how she could bond with Vic and Tony with this. She’s already so attached to me from the time we spent together. And she loves Jaime’s jokes, but I want her to be able to have a great relationship with all of us.

I sighed as I gathered up the purchase and we headed back to the bus. Tawny asked if she could have the guitar then and go sit in the back lounge. I didn’t see a problem with that so I handed it over and she skipped away. The guys and I plopped back onto the couches as we drove off.

“Well that should keep her occupied.” Jaime breathed.

“Until she asks me or Vic for help.” Tony laughed lightly.

“Give her a few hours.” Vic murmured. I chuckled at my brother and pulled my phone from my pocket. I was ringing, but I didn’t recognize the number. Tony eyed me a little as I answered.

“Hello?”

“Mike?” A female voice came from the other end.

“Bree?” I was shocked. We hadn’t heard from her since the night Tawny came to stay with us.
“Hi.” She replied meekly. “Um… there’s something you need to know.”

“Wait, let me talk to her first.” Tony held his hand out and I handed him the phone.

“Bree, is everything alright?” He paused. “No, I’m not mad at you. I was, but I’m over it… She’s been fine… No, she’s behaving… it’s alright.” He gave me an unsure look and mouthed the word crying.
“Here, talk to Mike.” He handed back the phone and stood up. “I’m going to go check on Tawny.” I nodded.

“Bree?”

“Mike, I can never thank you and the guys for what you’ve done for me.”

“It’s not like we would have turned her away.” I ran a hand through my hair. I had no idea what to do. Vic and Jaime were both sitting there watching me and listening to the conversation.

“There’s a reason I called you.” Bree began again. “My ex, Johnny, he… he’s trying to sue me for custody of Tawny.”

“Wait… is he the father?”

“No, but he’s got some friends in high places.” She sniffled before continuing. “But I don’t care about that because it’s not going to matter soon.”

“Wait what do you mean it’s not going to matter?” I stood up and paced around a little. “Bree you can’t say that when you have a six year old daughter who has no idea when she’s going to see you again.”
“That’s my problem… she’s not going to see me again. Ever.” Her voice cracked again.

“What do you mean?” My tone was a little more harsh than necessary, but I was shocked. “Where are you going?”

“Mike… I’m dying…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun dun dun... okay I'm sorry. I don't update this for almost a month and then I drop this bomb? I'm such a terrible person... and I'm not sorry lol

So yeah, who was expecting that huh? I love you guys and thanks for sticking by me! I couldn't ask for better subscribers! You guys are amazing =)