‹ Prequel: Hurricane Jenny

Hurricanes in Pittsburgh?

019:

Chapter Nineteen
“Thanks for watching her, Geno,” I said as I handed Candy over to Geno and scratched her head.

“Does anyone know that you going?” Geno asked as he moved out of the way to let me into his house. I looked at my watch and saw that I had a little time and walked in. It was early in the morning, way before sunrise, both Geno and I still had sleep in our eyes, but I had to be up.

“No, just you,” I said as Geno closed the front door and placed Candy on the ground, and I followed him into his kitchen.

“You no tell Beau?” Geno asked and I sighed and shook my head, “Just me?”

“Just you, well, you and Coach,” I said and then sat at his kitchen counter, “I got permission to miss tomorrow’s practice, but I’ll be back for the game on Wednesday.”

“Where you go?” he asked and I sighed and shook my head, “Secret?”

“The guys are going to ask you where I am, I don’t want you to lie for me, so just say that you don’t know,” I said and he looked at me.

“But I no know,” he said and I smirked.

“Then you won’t be lying,” I said and he chuckled and nodded his head, “Thank you Geno, I really appreciate this.”

“You need break, you need big break,” he said as he sat down next to me and patted my leg, “I help, that what friends for.”

“You’re a good friend,” I said as I stood up and kissed his cheek, “I have to go.”

“Ok,” he said and then stood up with me, “I walk you out.”

“Thanks,” I said and then bent down to kiss Candy’s head, “You be good for Geno.”

“She like Jeffrey, he lazy dog, he no bother her,” Geno said and I snickered and nodded my head, “Good luck, Jen.”

“Thanks, I’m gunna need it.”

“Something tell me, Sid need it more,” Geno said and I sighed and nodded my head, “He in trouble?”

“With me yes, with the league,” I sighed and rubbed my face, “No.”

“You no report him?” Geno asked and I shook my head, “Why?”

“Because he’s the Captain and the team needs him-“

“But he-“

“I don’t want it to go public that Sid royally screwed up! We both have reputations, and I don’t want to mess with any of ours,” I said and Geno sighed and nodded his head.

“Even after everything he did, you still looking after him,” Geno said and I nodded my head.

“I’m just that screwed up,” I muttered and then turned around only to feel Geno’s hand on my shoulder.

“You no screwed up, you just good person,” he said and I looked back towards him and gave Geno a sad smiled.

“Thank you,” I said and Geno gave a tired smile and nodded his head, “You can go back to bed, she’s gunna want to sleep with you, don’t crush her.”

Geno chuckled and nodded his head, “Be safe, Jen.”

“I will,” I said and then left Geno’s house and walked over towards my jeep and hopped in.

-Geno-
“Ok! I’ve looked everywhere!” Beau said as he stormed into the locker room, “Her place, the coffee shop, the park, the bookstore, any place that she would go,” he said and sat on the bench, “She’s not there!”

I managed to get three more hours of sleep after Jen dropped Candy off, I would have gotten more if Coach hadn’t have emailed everyone, announcing that there was an emergency team meeting. Jen said that Coach knew that she was going somewhere, so he must know that she was not going to be at the meeting.

Most of us were already here, dressed in sweats and t-shirts, we were told that we didn’t have to dress up. I sat in front of my locker and listened to Beau talk to Tyler about how he couldn’t find Jen and she wasn’t answering her phone.

When everyone was here, well, everyone except Jen, we just waited on Coach. People were wondering what was going on, we all figured it was about yesterday’s incident. Sidney was sitting in front of his locker, staring at the ground, he knew that people were mad at him, I wondered if he knew that he wasn’t going to get in trouble with the league.

“You think she was dropped?” Brandon Sutter asked and Beau shook his head.

“Some of the guys would be texting me, I would hope she would at least tell me,” Beau said and I looked at the ground, trying not to seem obvious that I know something, “Her jeep was gone and Candy was too.”

“Wait, you were in her place?” Cooke asked and Beau nodded his head.

“I have a key.”

“Good, you’re all here!” Coach said as he walked into the room and saw everyone.

“Jen’s not here!” Beau said and Coach nodded his head.

“Just wanted to introduce some new teammates,” Coach said as he drug a chair over and sat at the head of the circular locker room.

“Who?” Kris asked and Coach sat down.

“Douglas Murry, Jussi Jokinen and Brendon Morrow,” Coach said and we looked at him.

“Is Ray still fighting for Jarome Ingla?” Marc asked and Coach shook his head.

“No, we think he’ll choose Boston, so Ray let it go,” Coach said and I nodded my head, “But you’ll meet them later,” he said and then sighed, “We need to have a little talk about boundaries.”

-Jennifer-
“Jen? What are you doing here?”

“Wow, great to see you too,” I muttered.

“Well no, I mean-“

“Its fine, I know,” I said and then sighed.

“What’s wrong? What happened?”

“Marc,” I said and then looked at my brother, “It’s really good to see something familiar.”

Marc looked down and saw my duffle bag and then looked at me, “You know you’re welcomed any time.”

“Yeah, I’m calling in that welcome now,” I said and Marc smirked and nodded his head. He walked out of his apartment, picked up my bag and wrapped his arms around me.

“I have a game tonight,” Marc said as he walked me into the apartment, “Lindsey’s out of town, sorry, you probably would like some female company too.”

“Right now, I need my brother,” I said as I collapsed onto his couch, exhausted.

“Well, Jordan and Eric are in town, I play them tonight,” Marc said and I smiled and Marc chuckled, “I thought that would put a smile on your face.”

“I miss you guys.”

“We miss you. You looked exhausted, how did you get here?”

“Cab.”

“How did you get here?”

“I flew in, my flight was at six.”

“I wish I knew you were coming, I would have cleaned-“

“It’s fine Marc, I didn’t plan anything until last night anyways,” I sighed and looked at the ground, playing with my fingers.

“What happened, Jenny?” Marc asked as he came over and placed his hand on top of mine, “You know you can tell me anything.”

“Marc,” my eyes were tearing and I bit my lip.

“Who’s making you cry Jen? Is it that Bennett kid?” he asked and I shook my head, “Who?”

“There’s something you need to see, before you know the story,” I said and Marc nodded his head, ‘…I’m probably going to regret showing this to my brother, but, it’s something that needs to be told…’

I sighed and then stood up and walked over towards his sink, took a paper towel and wet it. I started to rub off my makeup and Marc’s eyes grew wide as he saw the black, blue and purpleish mark on my cheek. He grew angry and then grabbed my face and looked at the mark, “What happened?”