‹ Prequel: Hurricane Jenny

Hurricanes in Pittsburgh?

004:

Chapter Four
‘…Is he all right?...’ I was on my feet, face practically pressed against the glass and hoping that my
teammate was all right, ‘…Flower…’

The trainer was in front of Marc, making sure that he was all right. We were playing against the Canadiens, and they were playing rough tonight. The score was two to three, Montreal winning so far. It was the end of the second period, ten seconds to remain in fact. The Canadiens were trying to get the puck past Marc, but he wasn’t having it. Tyler was in front of Marc, trying to show some defense, but someone shoved Tyler hard, he fell back into Marc and Marc looked like he was hurt.

The trainer walked back over, Marc stayed in the net, ‘…Guess he’s all right…’

The game continued and I kept my eyes on Marc, something was wrong, he kept shaking his head, like he was trying to get his vision to work. Luckily the boys kept the puck on the other side of the ice long enough for the horn to blow, the period was over.

I stood up and moved out of the way so that the door could open and the boys could head back towards the locker room. I waited for Marc, wanting to know if he was all right. Coach told me to go to the room and I sighed and nodded my head, disappointed that I couldn’t see Marc.

I walked into the locker room and saw all the guys frustrated and staring at the ground. I found my seat next to Beau and sat down, my helmet on the ground and I was rubbing my face. Coach walked into the room and sighed, said a few words, put in his thoughts on our sloppy plays and then let the room angry. Sidney said some words of inspiration and then we sat in silence.

Coach came back in, looked straight at me, “Get ready?”

“He all right?” I asked but Coach walked back out of the room, “Is that a no?”

“I guess not, you’re being put in the net,” Sidney said and I sighed.

“This isn’t how I wanted my first night to go,” I said and Geno nudged his shoulder into mine, since he was sitting on the other side of me.

“It be ok,” he said and I nodded my head.

We sat in silence for a few minutes, and I tried to think about all the players on the Canadiens, I never played Montreal, I took my phone out and looked at all of the states, the moves, anything that I could absorb with the little time that I have.

Coach came back into the room and had us move out. I wanted to go last, but Sidney said that he and Geno always go last, so I just shrugged my shoulder and moved in front of Sidney, being third to last.

Just as I was about to hop onto the ice, Sidney grabbed the back of my jersey and then placed his hand on my shoulder, “You’re gunna do great,” I nodded my head, not even looking back towards him, just staring at the empty net that I was about to take over, “Just play how you’ve always played,” he said, patting my shoulder and then allowing me to skate onto the ice.

What little Penguins fans there were in the Canadien arena were on their feet and cheering at the sight of my jersey. I skated towards my net and scratched out the ice, stretching out my legs just before the ref started the game. Beau skated over towards me and patted my helmet, not saying a word, just a hand gesture. I took a deep breath and then jumped up and down, ‘...You’ve got this…’
Sidney Corsby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Chris Kunitz and Beau Bennett were on the ice, I took one more deep breath before the puck hit the ice. I adjusted my eyes onto the puck and zoomed in, my puck radar in full swing.

-Beau-
We all leaned over the boards, watching as the shoot out was in full swing. Kunitz scored against Carey Price in the middle of the third period, tying the score three to three. No one scored in the middle of overtime, we were pretty good at keeping the puck by Price, Jen actually looked pretty bored.

Gabriel Dumont went first, easy block for Jen. Kunitz skated onto the ice, headed straight for Price, score! David Desharnais tried to score; Jen caught the puck in her mitt. Geno skated onto the ice, went around the net and landed right into the net, score! Alex Galchenyuk went onto the ice, even if he made the goal, it wouldn’t matter, we won, but just for Jen’s sake, I hoped that he didn’t. I smirked when he didn’t.

The horn sounded, game was over, and everyone hopped over the boards and skated towards Jen, patting her helmet and back. Jen smiled brightly as she propped her helmet on her head and laughed towards everyone. I watched as Sidney skated up to her and leaned in, she smiled widely and I couldn’t help but feel a little twig in my fist.

‘…What the hell is that?...’ I thought, wondering what was going on there.

I finally got to her and gave her a small smile, “Nice job.”

“Thanks,” she laughed and then looked at me, “You all right?”

“Fine,” I said and then turned away and headed back towards the locker room.

Everyone changed of their gear, the guys making comments about Jen’s saves; we showered, changed into our suits and then headed out of the locker room. The guys were hanging all over Jen, and she was letting them. I had to remind myself that she knew that way before me; I had to tell myself that nothing was going on, but I felt a little angry every time Sidney threw his arm around her shoulder, saying something would make her laugh.

“You all right?” I heard and then turned my head to see Tyler looking at me, “We won, cheer up.”

“I’m fine,” I said and he sighed and nodded his head.

We made our way back to the hotel, in the elevator, Geno was talking with her, she laughed and I rolled my eyes. I leaned my head back against the elevator and sighed; my head was snapped back down when I felt someone grab my hand. I looked up again to see that it was Jen. She was still talking with Geno, but she had reached her hand back and laced her fingers with mine. Jen didn’t look at me, but I knew that she wanted to. I smirked and then waited for the door to open.

“You coming out to dinner?” Sidney asked Jen.

“I’m going to see Flower first,” she said and he nodded his and then looked at me.

“Yeah, let me run to my room first,” I said and Sidney smirked and nodded his head, turning around and walking away towards his room, calling back that we would meet in a half hour.

“Beau,” I turned my head to see Jen walking towards me, she looked around, I looked around, no one in the hall. Jen wrapped her arms around my neck and then pushed herself up and pressed her lips onto mine. I wrapped my arms around her waist and smirked against her lips, “I’ve been waiting to do that since we got off the ice.”

I chuckled and then kissed her cheek, moving my hand to her sides, “You gunna change into something more casual?”

“I will, but I want to see Flower first,” she said as she started to walk backwards, “He’s kind of an idol and mentor of mine.”

I chuckled, “Does he call you grasshopper?”

She laughed, “He use to, finally got him to stop.”

“Oh god,” I laughed and then turned my head and headed towards the room that I shared with Brandon Sutter.

-Jennifer-
“You sure you’re all right?” I asked as I sat on the bed in front of Marc.

“Jen, shut up, you’re giving me a headache,” he said and I giggled and then sighed, “I’ll be fine, trainer says I need at least a game or two.”

“Just get better,” I said and Marc smirked, not one of his famous Flower smiles.

“Vero’s gunna kill me,” Marc said and then groaned, “So it might be more than two games.”

I smirked and shook my head, “What’s she like? I’ve never met her.”

“Really?” he asked and I nodded my head.

“You never introduced her to me,” I said and he sighed happily, a bright smile on his face, “Is that all you have to give? A puppy love sigh and a star gazing smile?”

“That’s all I have to explain about her, she’s perfect,” he said and I giggled as he said something in French, but then remembered that I didn’t understand, “You just have to meet her, you can’t miss her.”

“Well, I look forward to meeting her,” I smiled brightly.

“I can’t believe I never introduced you to her,” he said and I shrugged my shoulders, “She definitely knows about you.”

“Really?”

“Yes, mon ami, you almost caused my relationship to break up more than once,” Marc said and I looked at him shocked, “I talked about my best grasshopper a lot,” he shrugged and I sighed, shaking my head.

“Dumbass,” I muttered as I stood up and heard Marc chuckle, “I can’t wait to meet her though.”

“When we get back, remind me to introduce her to you,” he said and I nodded my head.

“If you don’t, I’ll steal your phone and make arrangements to meet her instead,” I said and he smirked and shook his head.

“Bennett’s got his hands full with you, mon ami,” Marc said and I smirked and stuck my tongue out towards him.

“Don’t you all?”

“That we do,” he snorted and then laid back in his bed as I walked towards the door.

“Get some rest Flower,” I said and sighed.

“Bring me back some food?”

“Sure, I’ll text ya the menu.”

“Thanks Gee-Gee,” he said and I scoffed.

“Haven’t heard that name in a long time,” I said opening the door.

“Just remembered it.”

“Well, don’t get too use to using it, I hate it.”

“That’s why I use it,” he smirked and I rolled my eyes.

“Bastard, no food for you!”