Status: Hope you enjoy it!!!

Dreams

Recruiting

I stood in the line of trembling young people. They were wringing their hands, talking to themselves and regretting volunteering. But I stood unfazed, staring straight in front me. The boy in front of me stepped up to the desk and was moved to a different room.

“Name,” said the recruiting officer, not looking up from his computer.

“Cole Hailer,” I replied.

The recruiting officer typed a few things into his machine and looked up.
“You may proceed.”

I was led to a changing room where everyone was changing into a uniform, preparing to train. There was a strange logic to this situation. Become a soldier, high ranking and impress Kadence, just like the dream. I just had to keep myself out of too much trouble, and everything would go to plan.

I went to take off my jacket when hands grabbed me from behind, dragging me out of the room. The hands covered my eyes and I was consumed in a terrifying darkness. I threw my arms backwards and kicked my legs wildly, hoping to deter my captors, but they pressed on. I wrenched the hands from my eyes, and I was blinded by the room’s light. I was forced through a door where a woman walked towards me, brandishing a large needle. I threw a punch, my clenched fist colliding with the stomach of one of the men and I ran as fast as I could along the corridor. I grabbed the handle of the door at the end of the room, but it was locked. I twisted the doorknob wildly, throwing my head over my shoulders like a mad man. I could see the woman looking through her bags, not taking notice of the situation. The two men had disappeared; I did hit him quite hard. I went to run towards the woman and the door when I saw a gun in her hands. It was silver, glistening in the artificial light and pointed straight at me. I saw her finger hover above the trigger and then she pressed her finger down. Though it was silent, it was as though I could hear the trigger move and the boom as a bullet left the barrel, aimed for me. It was the sound of my end. I felt a sharp pain in my stomach and I keeled over. My eyesight became blurry and darkness flooded my vision. So this was what it felt like to die. I saw Kadence’s face before me and I slipped from life.

I woke up with a start. I was alive. I was seated in a chair in the middle of a bright room, the walls were gleaming white and there were only two chairs and table in it. My side stung and I was still drowsy from what I assume was a tranquiliser. As the men locked the door I ran up to it, pounding my fists against the door trying to break free. It was no use. I looked around desperately, trying to figure out an escape route when the door opened and a man entered the room. I ran at him, trying to shove him out of my way but he held my shoulders and turned me to face him.

“Dad?” I asked in disbelief.

“Hello Cole,” he said, plainly. “Sit down.”

“What’s with all of the drama? Being forcefully dragged out of there? A tranquiliser! I thought I was going to die Dad, how could you do that to me?” I asked desperately.

“We needed to make it convincing that you wouldn’t be going to war,” he said as he stood up and began to pace. I was very confused.

“But I’m part of the army, I’m starting my training…” I began.

“You are not to join the army!” he bellowed. “I told you this when I left, was that not clear? Stay at home and look after your mum and sister, those were my orders.”

“Orders!” I yelled back. “Who do you think you are? You can’t order me to do anything!”

“You aren’t capable of being in this army!” he shouted.

“Neither are any of the boys here!” I replied. Then it dawned on me. “These guys aren’t here to fight, are they?” I asked. “ They’re a distraction, aren’t they?”

“This is none of your concern,” he roared.

“It is! I could have been one of them! That’s why you’re here, to stop me from being killed while you send the rest of them to die while you fire some missile. If the Cleansers are so busy with the army they won’t even notice. Am I wrong?”

He didn’t answer.

“I’m leaving and I’m joining this army.” I began to storm off, but he blocked my way.

“While I am living and breathing, no son of mine will be in this army. Do I make myself clear?” he boomed.

“Crystal.” I said sarcastically. I couldn’t win this fight. I went to walk out the door but I turned around: “Don’t bother with that visit next week, I’ll find a way to tell Niamh and Mum, it’s not like you not being there is a new thing. For the sake of Earth, I hope you’re a better soldier than a Dad.”

And I didn’t look back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you especially to my reader ebw who is so supportive and amazing! Thank you to everyone who has read this far, it means the world to me!

Please comment xxx :-)