Status: Hope you enjoy it!!!

Dreams

The Music

When Cole came home, the feeling was indescribable. He was greeted with a tearful mother, a best friend, a sister and a hopeless lover. I couldn’t imagine myself with anyone else, but I didn’t think he felt the same.

He was silent as he came in. Not one word passed his lips. He ignored the hugs, the tears of joy and went to his room and sat alone. I used all my strength to push myself from the bed. This was the first time I had walked since I’d had my injury. I hobbled towards Cole’s bedroom and knocked on the door. The pain was furious, but he had helped me, so I had to help him.

“I don’t need any help,” he muttered.

“I just wanted to see if you were ok.” I said quietly. I could hear him stand up from his bed and move towards the door.
“Come in,” he said as he opened the door.

His room was dark, dull and grey, the same as the rest of the bunker. However, unlike the living room, there were no furnishings, nothing to brighten up the place. It was small, and only contained a wrought iron bed. There was little room for movement and no room for comfort.

“You don’t seem yourself,” I began as I sat on the bed. I could hear the metal creaking underneath me and the springs of the mattress dug into my legs, it wasn’t a pleasant place to be.

“You could say that,” he mumbled as he twiddled his thumbs.

“I didn’t think you were one to give up,” I announced, much to is annoyance.

“Do you think I would be here unless I didn’t have a choice?” he shouted. That stung.

“Fine,” I got up and began to leave.

“Wait,” he called. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. I meant that I have to join the army; it’s just something I have to do. If I don’t, I’m scared my life won’t turn out the way I want it to. “

I knew exactly how he felt, except I wanted to join the army to fulfil my dream.

“So, what’s stopping you?” I asked, moving towards the bed next to him.

“My Dad won’t let me.” He stated blankly.

“Go behind his back! Sneak in! I’ll do it with you!” I exclaimed excitedly.

“Its not that easy,” he replied gravely. “But I wish it was.”

Now I could interpret that statement in two ways. One: he wished it were that easy to join the army. Two: he wished it were that easy for us to join the army together. My heart sank as I realised he was probably talking about option one.

He knelt and reached under the bed, pulling out a large, strange object.

“What’s that?” I asked, eying the object with caution.

“They don’t have these where you’re from?” He asked, surprised.

I shook my head silently, not taking my eyes off the mysterious thing.

‘It’s called a guitar,” he explained, placing it on his lap. “You use it to play music. Listen.”

His fingers began to glide over the strings and beautiful music ensued. He played the guitar with ease, manipulating it to do his bidding, harnessing its beauty and channelling it to melodic sounds. I sat mesmerised, living in its and his glory. He played the guitar like he could play me. I was at his mercy, a slave to his rhythm. With every strum he could make me feel beautiful music, but quickly change the music to something more depressing and mellow. And he could cast me aside as easily as he could put down the guitar, ending the music abruptly and swiftly. His life would go on and he wouldn’t spare a thought to the guitar, lying still, gathering dust in the corner. But the guitar would always yearn for him, waiting eagerly to be played again. Waiting eagerly to be loved.

“What do you think?” He asked as he put the guitar beside him.

“I’ve never heard anything like it before,” I said, still struck from it’s beauty.

“I don’t get time to play it anymore, ever since the Glow my mind is always on other things. I haven’t been able to focus on one thing, to be passionate about one thing ever since. Until I met you.”

“I’ve helped you with the music?” I asked, perplexed.

He laughed, smiling widely. He reached out and held my hand. “I’m passionate about you.”

My eyes widened in surprise and I couldn’t help myself from smiling.

He leaned in slowly and those seconds felt like hours. I could feel his breath on my lips and I leant closer. I was engulfed in his kiss, mind, body and soul, my entire being. I lifted my hands, gliding them through his silken hair and I could feel his velvet hands caressing my cheek. And as we pulled away I gazed into his sky blue eyes and became lost in paradise. For no moment could be happier than this.

Then we heard the screams.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's been so long since I updated, thank you for sticking with it! I'm rewriting this for NaNoWriMo so it should be finished by the end of December fingers crossed!

Please comment xxx