Status: Hope you enjoy it!!!

Dreams

Cleansers aren't the only thing to look out for

I knew roughly where Zandra lived, on the other side of town near the forest. I did know where her Dad’s garage was, so I headed there instead. It was a rundown old place, the rusty sign swayed precariously in the wind and the corrugated iron roof rattled, only a few rusty bolts securing it in place. The street itself was filthy; the stench of rooting rubbish filled the air. I feared the worst, what if the Cleansers got him?

“Mr Forrest, are you here?” I called; I tread carefully amongst the rusty tools that littered the floor. I heard a grunt from the corner of the room.

“Who wants to know?” he said in a slurred voice, he was definitely drunk. How was I going to convince him to come?

“Something happened at school, Zandra…” I wasn’t able to finish. As soon as I mentioned her name, he tore across the room, his hand at my throat.

“What have you done with her?” he screamed, lifting me off the floor.

“She is fine,” I managed to stammer, trying to conserve every breath. He released me, sending me crashing to the floor. He was aggressive and vicious; did I want to be locked in a sealed metal container with him?

“Where is she?” he growled, advancing further.

“On the other side of town in a safe house, she wanted me to bring you there, and to bring some of your stuff.” I managed to say, this guy was scaring me to death. How could such a friendly person like Zandra have a Dad like this?

“I’ll go to Zandra, give me the address now!” he shouted, impatient and imposing.

I frantically searched for a piece of paper and pen, hand shaking as I wrote the address. He snatched the paper from my hands, tore it in half and scrawled something on the other piece.

“My address. Go into the kitchen cupboards and get the large red box. Don’t go snooping around. I will know.” He ordered, and stormed out of the garage.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I had managed to escape that confrontation unscathed. Except for a few hand marks on my neck that is. I began to walk towards Zandra’s house, 31 Peace Street.

The whole world changed after The Glow, and to boost morale, streets were given different names to make the residents happier. It was just confusing. Honestly, the world became like something out of 1984, cameras everywhere, mention something that could allude to you being a Cleanser and no one sees you again. People even report suspects to the government and it’s terrifying.

Peace Street was anything but peaceful. The houses all looked the same, bungalows with bars on the windows. Wire fencing surrounded the houses to prevent intruders.

After The Glow, some people decided that the government couldn’t deal with Cleansers, but gangs could. Gangs kidnapped people, killed them and 100% of the time they had done nothing wrong.

They ruled Peace Street and everywhere in a mile radius, those who could afford to moved out. Those who couldn’t were attacked, paying the gangs for the ‘protection’ of their houses. I had never been here before; I wasn’t going to stick around for long.

I arrived at number 31, unsure of how I was going to get in. Mr Forrest had forgotten to give me a key. I jumped over the wire fence and into his garden, the kicked down the back door. It was actually pretty easy, surprisingly. I ran to the kitchen and looked through the cupboards. The red box. I grabbed it and ran. I could hear voices in the house. I wasn’t going to stick around and wait for them to see me; the gangs gave most Peace Street residents guns. I ran down Peace Street as fast as my legs would carry me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoy it, it's a bit short, but the next chapter is going to be really different, I have big plans for this story! x

Please comment x