Status: Hope you enjoy it!!!

Dreams

The Orion

I reported early for duty that morning. All of my training had prepared me for this day. I was to be part of the first invasion fleet. It was more of an experiment really, to test of our crafts could get us to Earth safely. Our top engineers had been working on them for decades; there was no doubt in anyone’s minds as to their safe landing on Earth. Our mission was then simply; take our false form, the one we know the humans fear.

We spent years trying to find a way to intimidate the humans, and we decided upon ghosts. We would take on a ghost-like form, wispy blue. It was just a cool bit of technology that did this, we look just like humans, but we are nothing like them.

My mission, when I reach Earth, is to create as many false dreams as possible. The sorrow and despair from failure will power the ultimate weapon, which will wipe out the human race entirely. Everyone gets his or her own dream-maker, a Cleansers ultimate weapon.

When the enemy falls asleep, you implant the new dreams in their head. They no longer care about fighting you, just their new obsession. And when the dream fails, they die, that’s the new part that has been added to the new dream-makers.

The Orion was beautiful. It was a pale blue, shining, gleaming craft. It was enormous; I was intimidated by the vast size.

“Stop gawping Kadence, or we’re going to miss take off!” shouted Iris, my best mate. “You can stay here and watch me fly away in it, or you can get on!”

Our team was the most talented of the young Cleansers. This was the first ever team of Cleansers to be sent to Earth, all others have travelled alone. They rarely come back. Our Team leader, The Manager, says this is because their duties are so extensive; it will take years before they are completed. I don’t think so.

“Come on Kadence, it’s even better inside!” shouted Cayden.

To say that I loved Cayden was THE understatement of the century. When we first met in basic training 5 years ago, I knew I was going to love him until I died. Lucky for me, he felt the same way. I loved everything about him, his beautiful, dreamy brown eyes and his messy flop of brown hair.

He was kind, generous and at only 18 years old, I wanted to marry him. However, my Dad, who happens to be the leader of our kind, doesn’t agree. See, we needed permission from our parents to marry before we were 25, crazy! There was something about Cayden that he hated, what was there to hate? I guess he just hated that he was different. Cayden’s eyes sometimes changed colour to blue, which is really unique because Cleansers have dark purple eyes. They never change. Dad had never noticed, but he was always so weird around Cayden, like he could sense something about him. He was special, and he was mine.

I boarded the Orion and sat with the rest of the crew. Alpha was the pilot and his twin brother Elite plotted the course. Under Elite’s guidance you would never get lost. Our on board doctor was Twisha, she was a bit eccentric, but was great at her job. Then there was the ground team, me, Cayden and Iris, specialists in combat. Then there was Zaniel. He was quiet; shy, but a tech genius. That was the team.

“I’m really excited Kadence,” Cayden whispered in my ear. “We can spend as long as we like on a different planet, we could do anything we want together. And your Dad will never know.”

I loved where this was going; he was always so sensible, more than any other guy I had ever known.

“Kadence, do you know what your Dad actually wants us to do when we get on the ground, I haven’t really been told anything much.” He asked, curiously. Not what I was expecting, I couldn’t help but hide my disappointment.

“Oh, just using the dream-makers on a few humans, nothing much. He wants us to make ourselves known to the community, or something like that.” I said it with venom; he could be such an idiot some times. How could he have not been briefed? I always knew Dad didn’t really trust him, but I didn’t think it was this severe.

“I’ll be one minute, I just need to use the bathroom,” he said, kissed me on the cheek and moved swiftly on.

I went to my room in the Orion and started unpacking. That was when I heard voices coming from the bathroom. Cayden was talking to someone. Either someone was in there with in, or he was using a communications device. Zaniel is the only person on board authorised to use one, and you can only use one if you are a communications specialist or a member of The Cleanser High Council.

“Take off is in ten minutes, we should be on Earth in two hours.” Cayden said. He spoke with such an authoritative tone; he was always such a casual guy.

“All the equipment is in place should activate two minutes before entering the atmosphere. I will leave five minutes before detonation, I will be at The Cage in no time.” He then spoke in a more hushed tone: “What about the other members of the resistance, have they managed to get out?”

There was a long pause.
“I understand sir, over and out.”

I didn’t understand. What was going on? What was the resistance, what was he talking about?

It was beginning to scare me. Then, from out my window I saw our army, running towards the Orion. There were about 20 men, advancing. Cayden ran past my room. I followed him to the control room, where Alpha sat relaxed; take off wasn’t scheduled for another ten minutes.

“We’ve got to go!” Cayden shouted, sprinting towards Alpha. “I was just talking to The Manager, he wants is out of here now!”

“But…” Alpha didn’t have time to finish.

“Get this thing in the air now!” Cayden ordered. Now he was scaring me.

“Of course,” Alpha stuttered, and the Orion was in flight.

Cayden rushed out of the control room and I peered out of the window. There were more army officers, sprinting towards the Orion, shouting, jumping at the craft. They waved their arms high above their heads. I was so confused. Then the hanger door began to shut, trying to keep us here. But with inches to spare, the Orion squeezed through, into open space.

“Going to full speed,” Alpha announced.

“What was that all about?” Isis screamed. “What the hell is wrong with Cayden? We’re contacting The Manager, this isn’t right! Get
on it Zaniel!”

“Of course,” he whispered and began to type the message. “I can’t” he began to stutter.

“What do you mean ‘can’t’? You’re the communications guy, aren’t you?” Isis shouted.

“The communications have been disabled, there is no way we can contact home. We’re all alone.”

The silence that rang throughout the Orion was deafening. Everyone was stunned. Sure, we were the best of the young Cleansers, but we were about to land on a planet full of the most evil beings, what would we do? That was when Cayden strolled in.

“What is wrong with you?” Isis shouted. “Your fun and game, now we have lost all communication with home. Thanks a lot!” she stormed out of the room.

“No communication, none at all.” I don’t know if I was just annoyed at him, but he didn’t seem that upset.

“Why did we leave in such hurry?” Alpha asked, irritated.

“The army needed to use the hanger, there was a problem and they needed all their crafts ready to fly. They told me we had a few seconds before it was to be closed so any human drones couldn’t see our crafts. Happy?”

Everyone else was satisfied. I wasn’t. Cayden was lying, I could feel it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope the introduction to Kadence properly has made the story more interesting :-)

Please comment x