Status: I can't promise an update within a few days of each other. I'm a very busy person.

Troublemaker

Pasts are a Tricky Thing

She thought better of her manners and managed to say something else. “How are things?” After her question to Nick, Jo and Meaghan got up slowly and walked out without them even noticing.

“Things are okay.” Nick retorted. Zoe was at a loss of what to do, if she ran out of the restaurant, she’d have to get a cab. If she stayed, she had to deal with this attitude. For ten minutes she couldn’t think of anything to say, but they did order food. They ate in silence until Zoe remembered something.

“I found the ring.” She almost whispered, she kind of hoped he didn’t hear her, but he did. He held shock in his face and it was making Zoe mad that he wouldn’t say anything. She put her hand for him to see her wearing the ring on her left hand on the ring finger.

He didn’t know why it made it him angry and ecstatic at the same time. He tried to focus on the latter, but anger is a horrible drug that people get addicted to. He put his napkin on the table and rested his head on his laced fingers under his chin. He sighed heavily before speaking, “Do you like it?” Still focusing on the happiness, his question was a shock to Zoe.

“I love it, it’s my birthstone.” She smiled, thinking it would be okay to crack one at this time.

“I’m glad you like it.” The edges of his lips turned up, slightly, and Zoe felt butterflies taking over her insides.

“I am really so-“

“No. No apologies. I understand why you said what you said.” His thick skin was shattering and making him drop his guard. “I just want to go back to happy us, having fun, being stupid, please. I have been completely miserable.”

Zoe’s mouth dropped in surprise, “Why didn’t you call? Why didn’t you say something?”

“I thought, just…forget it, I want you back. I want you in every way. I am so tired of feeling like this. Without you, I feel like I’ve lost a very functioning limb.”

“I’m gonna try to take that as a compliment.” Zoe smiled, her eyes brightened, and she realized whatever he meant by the comment, it’s exactly what she wanted to hear.

“Can we please go to my house and just lie in bed forever?”

“As lovely as that sounds, I have to work. Jo has been taking my shifts since that night and I think they’re about to fire me.”

“Okay…just till tomorrow, then?” Zoe smiled and took his hand. As they walked out of the restaurant, they noticed Jo and Meaghan standing near Jo’s car, smoking cigarettes. “Do you still need help, Jo?” Nick didn’t realize yet that he’d been had.

“No, I’m good.” Jo looked at Meaghan and they both giggled.

“Where’s Josh, why’d you need Nick’s help?” Zoe asked, just as naive.

“At home on the couch. Ya’ll are dumb. We did this on purpose.” Jo rolled her eyes and got into her car. Meaghan got into her car, leaving Nick and Zoe stranded. They called a cab after discussing the stupidity of their friends and took it to Nick’s large home.

They made love like they hadn’t been together in years. It was almost nine o’ clock at night when their escapades became interrupted by Nick’s phone.

“Answer it.” Zoe told him.

“I don’t want to.” Nick groaned.

“It might be important.” Zoe warned.

“Fine.” Nick picked up his phone and rolled his eyes at what the screen said. “It’s my damn brothers, of course.” He pressed the answer button and held the phone to his ear. “Hello?” They talked for a long time, Nick making ‘blah, blah’ hand motions at Zoe the whole time. She giggled every time he rolled his eyes.

She wasn’t paying attention, but him saying her name in the phone made her perk up.

“Her name is Zoe…yeah I know…fuck off.” Her attention was on the phone call and when he finally got off, she raised an eyebrow towards him. “They’re coming to visit, they’re flying in tomorrow.”

“Why was I brought up in this conversation?” Zoe wondered.

“Kevin was wondering who was giggling in the background. It’s a good thing you’re not an undercover cop, you’d be known in two minutes.”

“Oh…pshaw.” Zoe giggled again. “I just wanted to know.”

“Ah, he doesn’t want me to fuck up anything again.”

“Again?” Zoe was confused. They’d never really talked about past relationships, so she had no idea.

“Yeah…okay, don’t get mad, but, I dated this girl, not too long ago, and we got engaged…” He stopped for a moment. “Let’s just sat it turned out that we had different ideas. My hand was being forced on every direction.” He sat up in bed and looked to the window, like it had all the answers to life.

“Is that why you moved to Augusta?” Zoe asked, sitting up beside him.

“Yes, and looking at you makes me happy I did every day of my life.” He smiled and kissed her sweetly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've got a lot typed up, it's just a matter of having two minutes to post them =P

-HammiSanz

<3