Status: I can't promise an update within a few days of each other. I'm a very busy person.

Troublemaker

I Ain't Nervous

She lay back in the chair…looking out of her balcony onto the city. It hustled and bustled by as she and sat and though about meeting his parents tomorrow. It was late night and her glass was teeming with bubbles from the jack and coke she had made.

She took a big gulp, letting the jack settle in her throat and make her head start to swim.

Zoe sat and wondered if they would like her, if she would like them, if she’s moving too fast with Nick. She still felt like she didn’t know him, but on the other hand, she felt like she’d known him for years.

Her phone pinged, bringing her out of her drunken state of mind. It was Joanna from work and she was happy to hear from her. Jo was asking if she was nervous about tomorrow and if she wanted her to come over. Zoe replied a quick ‘yes’ and hit send.

Ten minutes later, Joanna was knocking on her door. They hugged when the door opened and Zoe quickly invited her inside.

“So, nervous?”

“Incredibly. How did you feel when you met your husband’s parents?”

“I honestly didn’t care; I knew they were messed up people so I just let things happen. What do you think they’ll be like?” They went to the balcony to take advantage of the cool, summer night.

“Well, I told him one time he was too buttoned up, basically, and he told me if I wanted to see buttoned up, I should see his parents.”

“Yikes, wow.” Joanna made a shocked face and then looked at Zoe, “I mean, it shouldn’t be too bad, you’re only the most outgoing person in the world!” She laughed hard at that. They both lit up some cigarettes and started smoking through the conversation. “Where are you guys going to eat and meet?”

“La Maison. His mom wants nothing less than the best. I’m fucked, aren’t I?” Zoe looked at her best friend and frowned.

“Considering the last time we went there, you got kicked out for getting drunk off the wine samples and told the chef he was an old coot who didn’t make proportions big enough, very.” They looked at each other after that statement and started laughing.

“Oh, I forgot about that. Good times, good times.” Zoe chuckled.

“None of the rest of us forgot that, we don’t feel welcome there anymore.” Joanna kept laughing. “Look, the best advice I can give you is, be yourself, if they don’t like that, fuck them. Nick will still like you all the same, I’m sure of it.”

“He told me he loved me.” She whispered out, hoping Joanna didn’t catch it.

“He what?” She smiled while moving closer to her friend.

“He told me he loved me!” She almost shouted, excited now that someone else knows.

“What did you say? Please tell me you said the same thing back, this dude is a fresh keeper.”

“I said it too! Geez, you think I’m dumb? Of course, he’s a freaking God. I don’t deserve him, I know, but I’m keeping him so I don’t have to think of some bitch having him.” Zoe stuck her tongue out and Joanna giggled.

A few hours into the night and Joanna decided to head home. Zoe wanted to go to bed but at the same time her mind was racing so badly she didn’t think she could sleep.

After receiving an ‘I love you’ text from Nick, she found sleep quite easily, though.

Zoe looked in the mirror and spoke to herself.

“Why today, of ALL days, does my hair have to go whacko on me?!” She yelled it, she knew no one would hear, but it made her feel better.

She took a deep breath. There was four hours till Nick picked her up, so she decided to call the hair shop she always goes to. They worked her in in 15 minutes, good thing it only takes 15 minutes to get anywhere in Augusta, GA.

She drove there in a baseball cap, embarrassed at what her hair had tried to do. It looked like she had made love to a light socket.

She grumbled all the way to the shop, but the lady at the shop made her worries leave for a moment while she worked her magic.

“I swear, Becky, you have magic tools.”

“Girl, you know I just know what the hell I’m doing.” Becky put the brush to her mouth, blocking her mouth from the rest of the store “I’m the only one here who does!” she whispered.

Zoe chuckled, gave her a tip, since she didn’t ask for any kind of payment and left. She drove home with 2 hours to spare, so she stopped by Krispy Kreme and grabbed a donut and coffee to calm her nerves.

Make up was tedious, she was shaking from nerves so every time a little eyeliner went on, a little too much went on and she looked like a raccoon, forcing her to start over.

“Get it together, you’re losing it.” She told herself in the mirror.

She finally made it to the point where she could relax for a minute and the doorbell rang.
♠ ♠ ♠
FYI- I HATE Lil' Wayne. I just wanted to use that title, it fits.

-HammiSanz