Status: Updates every Sunday.

Quiet Actions

Astrid

"You guys were too amazing," Astrid said for the tenth time.

Of course, she had seen them play live before. It was just with every show she saw, they would get even better. Tony slung a sweaty arm over her shoulders. She made a face and pulled away, laughing. She walked ahead of the group, weaving through the crowd. Astrid was having a good time. Until someone decided to smack her ass.

She turned quick on her heels, grabbing the man's arm before it was out of reach. "What the fuck is your problem?"

He laughed at her. "What?"

Her green eyes narrowed. "What the fuck is your fucking problem? Do you want to fight right now?"

A woman came into view. "Oh, hey. He doesn't know what he's doing."

Astrid smelled the alcohol on their breath. She made a face, letting the man's arm go.

"I don't give a fuck if he doesn't know what the hell he's fucking doing," She raised a fist. "Don't you ever touch a girl like that, you shit wad. I'll deck you in the face right now."

The woman covered the man's face. "No. No, no. Please. No. He doesn't know what he's doing."

The man laughed and staggered forward. "What're you gonna do about it? Hm?"

"If this is your fucking boyfriend, I feel so sorry for you," Astrid sneered at the man. "You are disgusting. Did you honestly think I wouldn't say anything?"

Astrid soon realized Pierce The Veil were swamped by fans and couldn't see what was happening. The woman was covering the man's face with her arm, afraid Astrid was going to beat him bloody. But, she didn't have time for any of this bullshit. She had a great day - a wondrous day. Then, this happens. Only to her. Astrid turned away and walked as fast as she could.

"Have fun in high school!" The man yelled behind her.

She stopped mid-stride and turned her head. "Have fun being a fucking rapist, you damn pig."

Astrid continued walking. Her hands were clenched and she was seeing red - literally. Someone had stepped in front of her wearing a red tank top. She stopped walking before she bumped into the person. Astrid looked up and nearly cursed. It was Austin. He wore sunglasses, but she could tell his eyes were most likely on the man who'd touched her ass.

"Are you good? I heard you yelling from our booth," He tried to lighten the mood with a laugh.
It didn't work.

"No, I'm not alright," She crossed her arms over her chest. "I hate men. I'm going to stay single and celibate forever. And, what kind of 'man' touches a chick's ass and tells her to have fun in high school? Does he not know how bad that sounds on his fucking part?"

"Whoa there, cowgirl. Calm down a little, why don't you?"

"No! Because, I feel violated. I swear, if I see that piece of trash again, I'll beat him to a bloody pulp. And, his girlfriend or whatever the hell she was, was fine with it. She didn't even do anything. She was trying to protect him. Ah, this is why I don't go out."

Tears were welling at her eyes. Astrid shook her head. Now all she wanted to do was go back to the bus and sleep. That's all she needed. Or, some coffee. Coffee did sound a bit better.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'll beat him up if he comes anywhere near you or me," Austin lifted off his sunglasses. "How about I take you back to…"

"Oh! Pierce The Veil's bus. I think I got it myself," Astrid moved around him.

His hand caught her shoulder. His warm hand pressed a bit harder to turn her around. She looked up into his brown eyes and sighed. What was it with brown eyes that made her weak in the knees?

"Fine, be my bodyguard," She mumbled.

Austin smiled and began walking with her. Astrid noted that he kept his head low and pushed his beanie down further. His sunglasses covered his eyes again. She wanted to say something, but didn't bother. It wasn't her business. So, why care? She clasped her hands behind her back to keep from playing with her fingers.

"You're really feisty," Austin said, looking down at her.

Astrid craned her neck. He was a head and a half taller than her, basically the same height as Mike. She didn't know what to say to that.

She shrugged. "I don't like it when guys treat me like that. I'm not going to let anyone treat me that way."

Austin's smile faltered. "Really?"

Her green eyes narrowed a bit. "Really."

The walk to the bus was silent after that. The two kept their distance from each other, but Austin's eyes were all on Astrid. He watched her from the corner of his eye, thinking she wouldn't notice. Normally, she wouldn't. But, today wasn't a typical day. Astrid turned her head and looked him dead in the eye.

"Is there something wrong with my face?" She asked, bluntly.

Austin's eyes widened. "What? No, why would you say that?"

"Because, you keep staring."

"Maybe, I'm staring because you're beautiful."

Astrid stopped walking, keeping her eyes on Austin as he walked ahead of her. She felt her cheeks burn a little. He turned, walking backwards. He held a smirk on his lips.

"See you, Astrid," He spoke louder as the distance grew between them. "Come watch Of Mice & Men play tomorrow. Hope to see you there."

Astrid realized she was in front of the bus when Austin's figure faded out. Her cheeks were still hot by the time she got onto the bus. And, it wasn't because of the heat. It was because of Austin Carlile and his stupid words. She crossed her arms over her chest and went to the back lounge. She sat alone and hugged herself.

Austin was trouble. Nothing good would come of it. Friends is all they'd be - if that.

Yeah, friends.

Image

"How can you not have a boyfriend? Are you still a virgin or something?" Casey asked Astrid as she grabbed a beer from the cooler.

She rose a brow. "Excuse me?"

"I didn't mean it like that," He rose his hands in surrender. "Just, you're gorgeous. How are you still single?"

Tony butted in as he rested his arm on her head. "She never leaves the house."

Astrid rolled her eyes. "You guys are my only friends. And, all of you are basically gone three-fourths of the year or more. So, excuse me for not leaving the house."

She moved from under Tony's arm and toward the grill. She popped open her beer can and stood next to Vic. He smelled like pot and alcohol. Astrid bumped hips with his and laughed.

"Ooh, is our little angel drinking?" Vic teased, rubbing his fist on her head.

She laughed harder. "Oh, shut it."

Vic smiled at her. He turned away and busied himself with the grill. Astrid stepped away, drinking her beer. It seemed like everyone was out of their buses, enjoying the cool night air. In three hours they would be on their way to the next date of Warped. Astrid didn't know how she felt about being on the road for days upon days. She wondered how all these people dealt with it - to be away from their families for so long. But, as she watched as they all conversed she realized they were all part of a big family.

This was their family.

Astrid looked at her hands, holding the can. She really needed to paint - her fingers ached for the feel of her spray cans. She just needed to do something than just stand here with people she hardly even knew. She had a feeling her actual friends wouldn't want to be bothered by her while they were talking to their other friends. Astrid placed her half empty beer can on the floor and walked away.
No one noticed as she left. She tucked her hands into her sweater pockets and walked around the lines of buses. There was so many, along with trailers. Astrid walked slow steps, wanting to be away from the others for as long as possible.

She heard music coming from a bus. As she walked by it, lights were flashing on the inside. Astrid smiled. They were having a party of their own. She heard a door open and slam shut.

"I told you I'd see you soon!" Austin's voice broke the quiet.

Astrid stopped walking and turned on her heels, a smile on her lips. "So you did."

The generated street lamps did little to help her see Austin as he walked toward her. She smelled the alcohol from his breath before she saw his face.

"What're you doing out here alone?" He asked.

Astrid looked down. "Honestly? I don't really know. I guess I needed some time to myself."

"Are you done with 'you-time' yet? I want you to meet my band. Tony didn't introduce you to them for some reason…" His brows knitted together.

She glanced at him from underneath her dark lashes. "Yeah, I'm done. It's pretty chilly out here, too."
Astrid didn't mention why Tony didn't introduce her to Of Mice & Men. It wasn't because he didn't like them. It was that he totally forgot. She didn't want to mention the band to Tony either. So, the blame was on the both of them.

Austin didn't seem to noticed her silence as she just stared at him. He had already wrapped an arm around her small frame and pushed her to the door of the bus. Once the door opened smoke poured out of the bus. Pot - it smelled like straight marijuana. Again, Austin didn't take notice to anything. How drunk was this guy?

Astrid stepped up the short stairs and stood awkwardly in the bus. She chewed on the inside of her cheek as the men stared at her. She wanted to bolt out of the bus and not come back. But, she couldn't do that. A ginger walked out from the back lounge, shirtless. His eyes were just as red as his hair.

"Hi!" He gave her a hug. "I'm Alan. You must be Astrid."

Everything smelled like pot. It was getting her a bit lightheaded. She had been around it a lot, but not to this extent. After Alan introduced himself the other men must have felt a bit better, because they introduced themselves.

"Do you smoke?" Alan asked as he packed another rimmer.

Astrid shook her head. "Not pot. I live the sad grit life."

He nodded. "How long have you lead this sad life of yours?"

"Since I was fifteen," She frowned. "It's been ten years. I should probably quit or something."

She watched as Alan snapped the bong. Astrid looked away at her hands. She hadn't smoked since high school. And, it was a bad time for her. She'd done all types of drugs. She didn't really remember why. Maybe, it was to rebel against her parents, to see if they cared. They didn't notice. So, the drugs took over her life for a few years. Tony was the reason why she stopped.

The look of disappointment got her. She would have handled anger, but how was she supposed to deal with someone she loved disappointed at her. She slowly waned off the drugs until she didn't need them anymore.

"You good?" Tino put a hand on her knee. "You're shaking."

Her head snapped to her left. "Uh, yeah. Just reminiscing my high school days."

Phil laughed. "I hated high school. Those were the worst years."

Alan butted in. "I was stoned half the time. I don't remember half the things that happened."

"Yeah," Astrid agreed. "I was too doped up to even go to school most of the time."

"So, you used to smoke," He concluded. "What else did you do?"

She listed them off with each finger. "Ecstasy, adderall, acid, shrooms, and I did coke once or twice. I was a fuck up during that time. But, I'm good now. Drug free, save for the occasional drink."

Astrid didn't care about what people thought. She spoke her mind when she could without sounding like a complete bitch. She spoke about her life the way she wanted to and didn't care if she didn't make any friends.

"Damn," Austin spoke up. "That's crazy. I don't do any drug. Just drink."

She watched as his fingers unconsciously rubbed the center of his chest. She looked away. She remembered being told about his heart surgery.

"I should go," Astrid stood. "Either Tony is freaking out and looking for me, or he's too drunk to remember I even came along and they're leaving. See you guys."

She left in a hurry, not waiting for them to say anything. The bus door slammed behind her, fresh air rushing to her lungs. Astrid walked a few buses down before Austin called out to her.

"Hey," He came jogging over. "I don't want you to walk alone."

"I'll be fine," Her eyes kept straight ahead.

Austin kept talking. "Come on. You really don't want to be alone, do you?"

Astrid went quiet at that. No. She didn’t want to be alone. She also didn't want to be around a drunk man she barely knew. So, her pace quickened. His warm hand clamped on her shoulder, twisting her around.

"Okay, maybe you don't want to be around me," Austin began. "You basically don’t know me. So, let's get to know each other. I'm Austin Carlile, I'm 24 and Star Wars consumes my life. Your turn."

"Astrid Drakos, 24, and Lord of the Rings is better."

Austin gaped at her. A smirk tugged on her lips as she brushed his hand off of her. Astrid turned back to her destination, feeling a smile creep onto her lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm SO sorry. I feel absolutely horrid. :( My internet is shit, but I think we're getting it checked out soon! So, here you all go!