Listen to Your Heart

1

Somehow I had managed to pull my ass out of bed this morning for the first day of my senior year. I was still jetlagged as I’d only got home at midnight last night, and no matter how much I tried to convince my parents to give me the day off, they were having none of it. Apparently it was my fault for choosing to stay there the extra two weeks. I’d been in England my entire summer, and it was the most amazing summer of my life. I really didn’t want to come home, but I missed my family and friends, and I honestly didn’t have the funds to stay there any longer. It had taken me years to save up for that trip, and even though it meant I had no money I couldn’t regret it. However, this morning I was regretting not coming back earlier.

By the time I had reached the car park, it was already nearly full. I’d decided to walk to school this morning; I thought the fresh air would do me good. Boy was I wrong. I guess I’d forgotten how hot and humid it was in Tempe. Even when England was hot, it didn’t even reach half the temperature that it was at the moment in Arizona. I was sweaty and sticky and on top of it all I stank and it wasn’t even 9am. Today was looking to be good…

Home room was pretty much empty when I got there as the bell hadn’t gone. The last thing I wanted was to face anyone looking the way I did. I lay my head down on the cool desk, letting the cold wood refresh me. I’d begun to doze off when the bell rang and people began entering the room. Clare and Francesca rushed in first, spotting me in the corner and hurrying over to me. I could feel myself being tackled and I couldn’t help but let out a scream as I felt the air knocked out of my lungs.

I hadn’t seen them since before summer started and I hadn’t even told them I was back. I did plan to surprise them this morning, but I didn’t really have it in me.

“Why on earth did you not tell us you were back?” Clare squealed and it was clear she was so excited.

“I was going to surprise you! Oh god, I’ve missed you two so much!” I chuckled as I gave them both a hug.

“You’ve missed so much this summer.” Francesca admitted smugly.

“Someone finally got a social life?” I mocked. Francesca was the least sociable person I knew; she hated everyone.

“Oh ha ha you’re so funny. Well I guess I won’t be telling you about it then.” She smirked.

“That’s fine, Clare will tell me, won’t you Clare?” Clare was looking nervously between us, unsure who she should side with.

“Ugh fine, I’ll tell you anyway. Now does your brother know you’re back? He’s been annoying us for weeks.” She rolled her eyes in mock annoyance, but I knew she had a thing for him. Most girls did. Even as his sister I could admit Kennedy was an attractive guy.

“Yeah he picked me up from the airport last night. That’s why I’m so tired; he kept me up half the night talking. I love him but really it could have waited.” I lied. It couldn’t have waited. I’d missed my brother the most out of everyone. He’d tried to leave me an hour after getting home, but I wouldn’t let him go. I must have fallen asleep at some point though because when I woke up, he was gone.

“Well if it isn’t little miss Maria Jane Brock, back from across the pond I see.” Came a very familiar voice. While we’d been talking the room had filled, and stood not a meter away from me was the very reason I had chosen to spend this summer away and not the next.

“Fuck off Luke.” Francesca snapped. I merely rolled my eyes, if he thought he was going to get to me this year he was wrong. I was better now, and there was nothing he could do to change that.

Clare hadn’t said much, but I knew she was worried. I could see it in her eyes. She didn’t believe I was better, but she was wrong. I’d never been better in all my life, not even before.

Home room ended soon enough, and we were all given our new timetables. I had History, English Literature, Psychology and finally Biology. I had a full day - oh the joy. I honestly just wanted to go home and sleep.

When I got to History, Mr. Edwards was welcoming everyone back from their holidays and getting ready to talk through the syllabus for the year. I grabbed a seat next to Dan and got my stuff out ready to work. I was searching for my notebook when Mr Edwards called on me.

“Maria, I hear you’ve just come back from England, did you manage to find out much about the time periods we’ll be learning about?” Mr Edwards was originally from England and when he found out where I would be spending my summer he was overjoyed. He’d asked me to find out some things about the Pitt to Peel era of English history, which I had gladly done so.

“I did, sir. I visited Drayton Manor!” He seemed thrilled and it made me so happy. Mr Edwards was a good teacher who genuinely cared about his students. No matter how awful my school work was last year, he still supported me and pushed me in a way no other teacher had.

History ended quickly as we didn’t really do any work, just looked at what we’d be studying and handing out books. I made my way to my locker before English to drop off the textbooks so I didn’t have to carry them around all day.

In the halls everyone was whispering about some new hot English teacher. I was kinda looking forward to seeing what he looked like; we needed some eye candy around here. I made my way to English in anticipation. When I arrived he wasn’t there, but the rest of the class was, well the females anyway. I took my seat near the back so as not to seem too eager.

I sat down and began to doodle in my notebook. A few moments later the door swung open and the last person I ever expected to see walked in through the door.

“Hello class, welcome. My name is Mr O’Callaghan and I’ll be your English teacher this year. This semester we’ll be studying Romeo and Juliet; any questions?” At that moment he caught my eye and gasped. I couldn’t believe it was really him. I didn’t think this day could get any worse, but in that moment I was proven wrong. My life was about to become hell.
♠ ♠ ♠
For Maria. Who wanted a Student/Teacher fic!

Subscribe/Comment/Recommend.

Let me know if you spot any mistakes no matter how small! :)

Thanks for reading! :D

*EDITED*