Status: Work-In-Progress (Being updated)

Abeyance

Abeyance - Chapter 12

I wasn't afraid to wake Lights up with a kiss that next morning.
"Morning, Beautiful." I smiled.
She opened her eyes and immediately smiled at me.
"Morning."
Neither of us wanted to get up, so we stayed content with laying down in each others arms for a while.
She kissed me, and I kissed her back. Lights heated up the kiss a little after a while. I was surprised. But trust me, I was fine with it.
By the time we've been awake for an hour, I was making out with Lights. It was kind of unbelievable, in a good way.
We didn't go farther than that.
After a while, we pulled apart and smiled at each other.
"Wanna go get something to eat?" She asked me.
"Why would I when I have something sweet right here?" I smirked. I couldn't believe I said that. What am I, an idiot? But Lights seemed to have liked the pick up line.
She giggled and said "Come on, lets go."
I stood up and quietly whined as I put on my holster and backpack. She got her stuff on as well and turned to me. She put her hands on my shoulders.
"How's your chest?"
"I'm fine."
"Promise?"
I sighed. "Yeah."
"Are you sure? If you're not ready to go out there yet, we don't have to."
As much as I'd like to stay in bed with Lights, and as much as I still hurt, we had to go.
"I'll be fine."
We walked out of the store and into the street, running into trouble. There were small, 4 legged creatures running about.
I snuck Lights one more kiss on the cheek, then took out my magnum and started shooting at them. They only took one shot through the head to kill, not too bad. Lights took out her semi automatic. That one took two bullets, it's not as powerful as my magnum.
Soon enough, the little crawling creatures were dead.
"Job well done." I switched out my magnum for my semi automatic.
"Thanks." She reloaded, then we continued walking down the street. I made a pit stop at some random sports store we passed and put on a Yankee t-shirt. I was still shirtless before then.
"So what do you want to eat, darling?" I asked her and put an arm around her. I bit my lip to prevent myself from wincing. I didn't want to admit to her that my wounds hurt. She leaned against me and shrugged. "Whatever you want."
"Lets see what we can find, then." I held her hand, and we walked down the street.
"How's this?" I asked. It was a small shop that sold a variety of different things. Foods and on the go items.
"Perfect!"
We treated ourselves to cereal. It was a letdown that all the milk had expired, but we lived with eating it dry, with iced tea to drink on the side. We sat down on the floor in one of the isles as we ate.
I smiled at Lights. She was really something...
We've been holding hands, hugging, and kissing. I wondered what we were in her eyes. In mine, we were together. As of right now, we were the only people left in this city anyway.
"So what are we?" I asked casually once my cereal was finished.
"What do you mean?"
"Well friends don't usually kiss and make out with each other." I chuckled.
"Oh, they don't? I'm sorry..." It took me until she started laughing to realize she was only kidding. I playfully nudged her.
"Don't scare me like that!"
"I'm sorry, boyfriend!"
I grinned. "Boyfriend?"
She nodded. "Yeah, well, if you want to be. Cause I'd love to be your girlfriend."
"Lights, I would be honored to be your boyfriend."
I took her hands in mine and pressed our lips together gently at first. We've become used to heating these kisses up. I can say, this was the first time I've made out with someone in the isle of a convenience store. I made a note to myself that I might have to pick up some things before we leave...
The only thing that pushed my lips away from Lights' was something which could have easily been a figure of my imagination. A little girl running across the back isle.
"I think I just saw a little girl."
Lights focused again, and we both ran around the store, me to the back, her to the front.
What I saw was real after all. I found a little girl sitting alone in the corner with a chocolate bar.
"Hey there little lady." I said softly and slowly walked over to her, "Where's your mommy and daddy?"
She looked up at me with frightful eyes. Damnit, what's so intimidating about me? Someone, please tell me!
"Lights?" I called. She came rushing over to me. I asked her to talk to the girl for me. Maybe she'd talk to a woman.
I backed up and let Lights take control.
"Hi, I'm Lights." She smiled at the girl, "What's your name?"
The little girl stayed silent for a moment. She looked pretty clean. Maybe she had only been out here for a few days. She had dirty blonde colored hair and eyes about the same color as Lights'. She was small, probably about 4 or 5.
"Valerie." She said quietly.
I saw Lights facial expression change. Like she realized something. But she shrugged it off.
"Where's your mommy and daddy?"
"One of those scary monsters killed them."
Lights frowned and looked up at me. "Do we...?"
I looked around for any trace of parents to Valerie. I didn't see anything. I looked back to Lights and nodded.
"You're going to come with us now then, we're going to protect you from the monsters."
She nodded, and Lights picked her up. I smiled at the sight. It looked like Lights would make a good mother one day.
"Are you hungry, Valerie?" She asked. Valerie nodded. So Lights walked down the isle and got her a bag of pretzels.
As they did that, I slipped a box of something for my own late night enjoyment into my bag. It was the next step for Lights and I.
Lights opened up the pretzel bag for the baby, then handed it back to her. "There you go, Val. Can I call you Val?"
Valerie nodded and started eating the pretzels. Lights got her a water bottle to drink with them.
"Kellin, she's so cute!"
I smiled. "I know."
Lights looked at Valerie. "So how old are you, Val?"
"Four."
"Wow, four! You're a big girl!"
The baby smiled and continued eating her pretzels.
Having to help not only ourselves and any other survivors we find survive, but a child too, would be hard work. But I'd try my best.
I looked at the baby again. She wasn't even a baby, but she was little. The youngest. Therefore, to me, a baby.
"Hi Valerie. I'm Kellin." I held my hand up to give her a high five. She slapped it back. Now that she was comfortable, we were on good terms. After walking for a bit, we put the baby down and let her walk, letting her hold both of our hands. The ones without guns, of course.
After walking around for most of the day, Valerie said that she was hungry. Lights picked her up.
"Okay, lets go get something to eat."
I sighed. This screwed up our game plan. But the kid had to eat.
We found a store that sold food and found granola bars, then gave her one. She was happy again.
We walked throughout the day. I didn't get to look in every pile. I wouldn't for Valerie's sake. I mostly just eyed them all. I would get distracted from sifting through dead people while Lights and I talked. And Valerie was an adorable kid. I'm glad she's safe with us. Lights and Valerie were slowly becoming my first priority.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 12/? of my fanfiction 'Abeyance.'
I'm sorry this chapter was poorly written, I'm busy with school work on weekdays but wanted to put something up for you guys. I'll make up for it this weekend!:D
ENJOY!:D