Status: Work-In-Progress (Being updated)

Abeyance

Abeyance - Chapter 17

A few days passed like that. Just Lights, Valerie and I. We found a survivor! Her name's Jenna. Jenna McDougall. She's Australian, only 21, in New York for college.
Lights and Valerie were still asleep. It was a rainy morning, and we had stayed in a Radio Shack, just for protection from the weather.
From what I picked up over radio, the President isn't sending troops or doing anything to help this. They assume all are dead. But we're not. They're blowing up the city Thursday. Whenever Thursday may be, I lost track. I've yet to tell any of the girls this. I don't want to scare them. I know Valerie wouldn't get it, but Lights would. And she'd panic. She'd realize we're all going to be blown to pieces if we don't find some way out of here in the next few days.
"Good morning." a spunky blonde said from behind me. I turned around on my heels.
"Good morning, Jenna."
"It's rainy today, what do you plan on doing?"
I shrugged, "I dunno, honestly. Maybe we'll just stay here."
Jenna put a hand on my shoulder.
"Take a break today. You've been stressing."
I nodded. "I think I will."
I turned back to the window just in time to see the group of four newscasters get knocked off their feet and swooped up by more of the snake like extraterrestrials.
Oh yeah, I don't know why or how, but there is an abundance of extraterrestrials lately compared to when we started. My guess is they're all cornering in the survivors instead of being on the outskirts of the city where there's no people and they're dying.
Jenna gave me a smile and started rubbing my shoulders.
"Just take a load off," she said softly. I smiled.
Lights woke up next, and my guess was she wasn't too pleased with the sight, because I saw her give Jenna a glare. But that didn't stop her from rubbing my shoulders. Lights tried to play it cool with me and walked to me with a smile.
"Sleep good, Baby?"
I nodded. "Decent, yeah."
She smiled wider and kissed my cheek. That's when Jenna let go of my shoulders. And once she did, Lights wrapped her arms around my back and started kissing me. I kissed her back with a grin. I really loved Lights. I feel we would have went farther if Valerie didn't wake up.
"Good morning, Val," I grinned.
"Morning, Daddy."
I picked her up and explained the plan to the three, no longer two, girls.
"It's rainy, infested, and too dangerous to go out now. We'll have to wait here until the rain stops."
"But what do we do for food?" Lights asked. "We don't have much."
"Then... I'll go get some."
"But you just said-"
"I know what I said, but you girls need food and water," I slid on my holster and put my backpack on my back. "If you see anything suspicious, shoot. At this rate, if you kill a survivor, does it really matter? There's hardly any, anyway. If something happens, I don't care what you say, you get Valerie to safty first, you hear me?" I was being strict with them. I knew Lights knew what to do, but I figured Jenna would try and boss everyone around. She already tried that with me. I said there was no way I'd tolerate that. The two women nodded, and Lights took Valerie out of my arms after I kissed her head. I kissed Lights' nose, then said, "If I'm not back in an hour, check the market two blocks back. It's where I'm headed. If I'm dead, I want you to take my weapons."
Lights nodded and gave me a quick hug. "Stay safe."
"I will."
Lights backed up with Valerie, Jenna behind them, and I nodded.
"See you soon."
I cocked my gun and left the store. Immediately, a four legged, dark purple, big extraterrestrial popped out at me. I quickly shot it down before it was able to attack and I started running as fast as I could. I had to get back, safe and unharmed. For their sake.
I reached the store after about 25 minutes. It probably would have only taken ten or fifteen, but I got sidetracked by aliens attacking again. I killed about ten, just on my way to the store two blocks away. When I rendered the store clear, I reloaded my gun. Then I threw a variety of foods and 6 water bottles into my bag. After snagging batteries and a new pack of cigarettes, I left and headed back to the girls.
It was ridiculous, I shot down another 10 just on my way back!
The looks on everyone's faces shouted relieved once I walked back in to Radio Shack. Lights quickly ran up to me and jumped into my arms, wrapping her legs around my waist.
"We just saw someone get killed outside. I was worried it was you."
I kissed her head. "Don't worry, I'm just fine."
She smiled and we started kissing again. I really loved Lights...
We pulled away from each other to distribute the food.
Valerie was laying down on the ground with a blanket wrapped tightly around her.
"What's wrong, Val?" I asked and kneeled down next to her.
"I don't feel good," she pouted.
Lights felt her head. "She's burning up, Kellin."
The baby's sick! Lovely! If only I knew, I would have gotten her medicine when I was getting food. It was a downpour now, I couldn't go back out. I wouldn't make it back at this rate.
I opened my bag and gave Valerie a half of an Advil pill and a water bottle. "Take this, it'll help until morning, okay, Love?"
She nodded and put it in her mouth. I had to help her with this part, but she eventually got it down.
I gave her a box of cereal, and Lights and Valerie sat down together and ate.
I took one too and sat by the window and watched the rain as I ate. Jenna sat next to me with hers.
"That was brave," she started and ran a hand slowly down my back. "What you did."
I chuckled a little uncomfortably. "Thanks."
"We would have starved without you. Thank you."
"It's nothing," I shrugged.
She moved a little closer to me. "I think, if we didn't have food, I would have ate you first." She brought her lips closer to my ear and whispered. "You're the sweetest and the hottest."
I smiled a little, but was still uncomfortable. "Thank you."
She kissed the side of my neck. "No, thank you for saving me."
"Like I said, it's nothing..."
"No, it's everything. I owe you big time. What do you want?"
"Nothing Jenna," I smiled. "It's fine!"
She slowly brought her lips up and they graced mine softly before she pressed them together. Force of habit, and because a little part of me wanted to, I kissed back. I've never kissed an Australian, and something about the way she was speaking to me was kind of a turn on...
Our lips moved together until I heard Lights gasp. I quickly pulled away.
Fuck! I'm so stupid, I forgot Lights was- UGH! This won't be good. Lights glared at Jenna, who was smirking back at her. Women were weird.
We all finished eating in an awkward silence, aside from the baby and Lights talking.
After the baby ate, she laid down again. She didn't eat much, either. She was getting sick, and it worried me a lot. Lights and I put Valerie to bed, then Jenna announced she was going to bed too. I nodded, and she got into her tent.
That left me and Lights, both wide awake.
"We need to do something about Valerie," I said as I laid down in Lights, the baby, and I's tent. "She's still burning up, I don't want her to get any worse."
"I'll pick something up tomorrow," Lights said quietly. Her still beautiful brown eyes were planted up at the top of the tent.
I tried recalling what day of the week it was. I was pretty sure it was Tuesday. That didn't give us long. I decided it would probably be smart to tell Lights what's happening.
"They're blowing up the city Thursday. That's it, Lights. The end." She was silent for a minute, then she said, "Oh..."
"There's no way we're going to get out of here. I'm pretty sure it's Tuesday. Night," I took her hand. "I'm going to spend as much time as I can with you now. Because I don't know..." I trailed off.
I went to kiss her, but she pushed me away.
"You claim you wanna spend time with me, but you were kissing Jenna. Yeah. Logical," she sat up. "Would you have asked to spend time with her? Or did she reject your offer for sex or something?"
She crawled out of the tent and to God only knows where.
I laid down again and closed my eyes. Well... Now what? Lights is pissed at me, and that was the last thing I needed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 17/?
I'm estimating there will be 2 or 3 more chapters to go, then Abeyance will be finished. Thanks everyone for reading, sorry I haven't been updating as much as I'd like to. I'll try my best to get the next few chapters up ASAP!:D