Status: Work-In-Progress (Being updated)

Abeyance

Abeyance - Chapter 9

The weather that day was overcast. It looked like it was going to pour on us any second now.
But surprisingly, throughout the day, not a single drop of rain fell. It wasn't until night time that we were in for a major storm.
We first got food, then continued searching for people. Survivors. We needed more survivors!
We spent all day searching for people, and as usual, got nowhere. We were all pretty bummed.
I realized that Vic and Jaime weren't too bad of people when they were sober. They were pretty helpful, and gave us a good laugh every once and a while. And more importantly, they stayed away from Lights.
I wasn't sure what time it was, but after most of the day had gone by, it finally started raining. We all ran for cover at the nearest building we saw. It was a pizzeria. Empty, of course. And all the food they had out had gone bad by now.
Since it smelt disgusting, Jack and I cleaned up a little. We took the old, disgusting foods and threw them away into a bag, which we dumped in the back by the dumpsters.
It smelt a little better after that.
"So we're just gonna crash here?" Jack asked unsurely.
I shrugged. "I guess we have to."
Vic and Jaime smirked at each other and sat on the floor, then opened up their bags.
They removed of a few things. All the beer, a few packs of cigarettes, and a plastic bag with weed and rolling paper inside.
I sighed. "We have to be on high alert, we can't be doing this stuff!"
"Come on!" Vic tried persuading me, "It'll be relaxing. You said you've been non-stop for days now, you can use a break."
Jack sat down with them.
"Come on, Kellin. Lets take a load off." He cracked his back.
I looked to Lights, who shrugged.
"I guess... This can be okay..." She said unsurely and sat down.
I sat next to her, and Vic and Jaime quickly rolled a joint. I took out my own pack of cigarettes. I didn't want to use up theirs.
We all grabbed a beer and started drinking. I'll admit it, the beer felt nice. The cigarette was nothing new. But the weed was. I hadn't smoked that stuff since high school.
Given an hour, and we were all high. Well, I wasn't really. Neither was Lights. But the two newcomers and Jack were. It was a nice change, just for the night.
Vic reached back into his bag and pulled out a box of condoms.
"We don't want to repopulate the city yet, do we?" He chuckled.
I looked over to Lights. I can see the insecureness and worry in her eyes. I realized we were on the same page. We took a few puffs of the blunt and had a beer or two. Nothing crazy. So we both were having the same sober thoughts. Thoughts that this wouldn't be good.
She was the only girl here, so that must have made her very uncomfortable. She shifted oddly without a word.
Vic took a packet out of the box, then handed it to Jaime. He took one out too, then tossed it to Jack. Jack wasn't sure what to do, he was out of it.
"What are we doing?"
Vic chuckled and told Jack to lay in the kitchen and go to sleep. He listened and did. So Jaime tossed the box to me next.
I looked over to Lights, who looked at me, her eyes begging me not to do it. I wasn't going to do it anyway, but after seeing how frightened she was, I tossed the box aside.
"Not participating?" Jaime chuckled.
I shook my head. "No."
I hoped that if I wasn't, they wouldn't either. But apparently, they didn't stop.
Vic crawled over to Lights and kissed her roughly as my eyes widened. What the hell?
She didn't kiss him back, she was in a state of pure panic and even distress. She put her hands on his shoulders and tried to push him away, but he pushed back down, grinding against her.
I stood up. This wasn't right.
Jaime moved over to them next and slipped a hand inside her tank top.
"Please stop..." She whimpered.
I did the first logical thing I thought of. I kicked Vic in the side.
"Get off of her!" I yelled at him, then kicked Jaime, "You too!"
Vic removed his lips from Lights' and his waist from hers, as Jaime removed his hands from under her shirt.
"What?" Vic asked, like nothing was wrong.
"I'm feeling very uncomfortable. And so is poor Lights! I don't agree with any of this going on in front of me, and neither does she!"
"We're just trying to have fun!" Jaime piped up.
"Yeah? Well we're not into what you're all about."
Lights crawled over to my feet and clung to my legs. I bet she felt terrible. Violated.
"You're not into getting naked with chicks? Making out? Doing things?" Vic asked, almost surprised I was stopping him. I didn't get how it was surprising.
"I think it's disrespectful." I voiced my opinion proudly, "And so does she."
If Lights wasn't clinging to my legs, shaking, I wouldn't have spoke for her. But there was no way she would speak for herself right now. Not after that.
Vic and Jamie both sighed at the same time. I watched as they stood up and stumbled over to us.
"I'm sorry, Lights." Vic slurred his apology and pat her head. She didn't look at either of them, just the floor.
"I'm sorry, too." Jaime slurred just as badly.
"I think you two should get some sleep, it's late now." I felt like their parents. But I guess I had to be.
They nodded and walked away to find an area to sleep in. But they were wasted, they'd pass out anywhere. Kind of like Jack did.
I kneeled down next to Lights, and she looked up at me with a few tears streaming down her face.
"Don't cry," I whispered soothingly and held one of her hands in mine, "You're too beautiful to cry." I used the other hand to wipe the tears from her face with my thumb.
"I'm sorry... But it was scary... I didn't know how far they were going to go..."
"They went too far." I told her protectively.
She leaned her head on my shoulder. "Thank you, Kellin."
I wrapped my arms around her. She needed a good hug.
"You're welcome, Lights."
She hugged me back, and we stayed there like that for a few minutes. Then, when she pulled away, she told me she was going to try to find a place to sleep.
I nodded and said "So am I."
We found a carpeted floor in the dining area. It would be better than tile and stone.
I lay on one side of the room, her on the other.
"Goodnight, Lights." I yawned.
"Night, Kellin."
I slept fine. In about 10 minutes, I was out cold. But about 3 hours later, I was woken up.
"Hmm..." I yawned as my eyes slowly opened. I didn't expect it to be Lights waking me.
"Can I sleep over here with you?" She asked me quietly, "I can't sleep... I'm scared of... Them..."
I nodded and moved over a little for Lights. Where I was, was a tight squeeze. I was underneath a table. But we fit.
I sleepily wrapped my arms around her body and held her close to me. It was staring to become more normal when she relaxed into my arms.
"Sleep tight, Lights. They won't hurt you. Not if you're here."
There was no way those two drunk hooligans would take her out of my arms.
"Thank you. Good night."
"Good night."
I tightened my grip around her, and the two of us fell asleep instantly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 9/? of my fanfiction 'Abeyance.'
Lights and Kellin are staring to get cute *cue the 'd'awww'*
HOPE YOU'RE LIKING IT!:D