Gaijin No More

Prologue

Cody's POV

What a perfect way to start Monday: waking up half an hour too late, not finding my camera, no time to comb my hair and on the top of all, putting my t-shirt inside out and noticing it after I had left the house. As you can see, my week started perfectly. (Please note the sarcasm.)

Besides me being late from school, the rest of the day was normal. I went to my lessons, dozed of in most of them, went for a walk during my lunch and took photos of random things and people. All the usual stuff I do.

I guess you already noticed one tiny, unimportant fact. I didn't say anything about friends. And I have a good reason for that. It´s because I don't have any friends. Not here in Wilmington at least. Nobody at school ever talks to me if it's possible to avoid it. To all my peers, I'm just that invisible little emo kid that no one talks to.

Yeah, emo kid... That's one thing I hate being called. I mean, sure I have this typical emo hair and I do wear eyeliner, but that doesn't make me an emo, does it? I don't cut myself or cry over every little hardship that life throws at me. And I'm not depressed. Actually, I'm pretty cheerful person and optimistic. I just don't show it.

What's the point in labeling people anyway? Who cares if someone is goth, emo, prep or geek? We are not some items that need to be put into a categories. I believe in individuality and not all the goths or preps are the same. I can name a quite many preps in my school that are cool and interesting.

But unfortunately my school is quite much into that whole labeling thing. It would be a disaster if a prep hung out with a geek or something along those lines. That's why I hate almost everyone in my school and don't bother making friends. I want to have friends that are their own individuals, not some brainless puppets that just flow with the stream.

It sounds like I'm a complete loner, right? Well, I'm not. I do have friends, but they just don't live in Wilmington. My three cousins live in Raleigh, which is only a few hours drive from here. I go to see them often on weekends and sometimes they come here.

And then I have the people I've met on the Internet. I have made several friends through MySpace and I talk to them almost daily. So, I do have social relationships with other human beings. In fact, I met my best friend Timothy on the Internet. Too bad he lives in Boston so we rarely have a chance to meet in person.

Ever since I started in high school, I've been an outsider and that´s how I thought it would be until I graduate. But unfortunately, I've never been able to predict the future.