Status: Alive and Kicking!

The Ripple Effect

A Lifetime Spent Sleeping

A man was standing in the shadows, but the moon provided just enough light to show his shining, ravenous, white incisors. Then he stepped closer, and his blue eyes appeared. He was like the Cheshire cat with that disturbing grin... A disembodied face, surely.

But then he stepped closer, and I back-peddled. He lashed out, grabbing my wrist and jerking me to him.

"Miss me, my love?" Luca cooed, dragging a repulsive finger over my bottom lip.

"Get away from me!" I screamed in his face, spitting on him, scratching at him... Anything to get away from this shell of a man! "I know what you did to Lorena!"

"Yes, but she just... She wasn't the one, Sophie. I thought she was, but the spark disappeared. How could I have stayed with her? And the sparks... They disappeared the day I saw you. But I was more careful, wasn't I? I waited until you came of age, until I knew for sure. You're mine. I have no doubt this time, not after that wonderful night we shared. And our son—"

My hand swung out and made contact with his cheek, a sickening slap that stung my own hand like Hell. Luca rolled his eyes even as a handprint appeared on his skin.

"You shut your mouth," I hissed, my voice breaking with each syllable. "He is not
our son!"

"Sophie... Don't play stupid. You're mine, and Rein is mine. I'm coming back for you, so you had better break it to my little brother gently. He's a good kid, and I don't know if he could bear it if you just keep stringing him along like this."


Air rushed into my lungs, and I gasped, choking on the onslaught on my scratchy throat. Arms immediately restrained me no matter how I fought.

"Sophie, please stop!"

I stilled in the instant that Orion's soft, blue eyes met mine.

"That's better," he murmured with that voice like warm honey as his fingers brushed delicately over my cheek like I was the most fragile porcelain doll he had ever held. "Baby, you really gave me quite a scare. I thought I... I thought I lost you forever."

"Where are the boys?" I rasped, cringing at the sound of my own voice.

"My mother is with them in the waiting room. You know how rowdy they get, they might have jumped all over you. And... I don't think that'd be a good idea."

I glanced down at myself. My entire torso was wrapped up. No, maybe it wouldn't have been a good idea.

"But Jonathan is okay?"

"He's fine. A bit shaken up, but he'll be okay when he knows that you're safe."

"But that bullet... Where did it hit me?"

He looked down, and he whispered, "Your heart."

"Fine, don't tell me. Then who shot me?"

"I heard you cry out... I panicked. He got away, but you were more important. But I have his scent, so he won't be a problem again... But there's something we really need to talk about."

I pushed myself toward the headboard of the bed, shaking my head. No.

"I was lucky. That's great. When can we check out?" I babbled, glancing around the hospital room. "Tell them to let Rein and Jonathan in. I'm ready to see them."

"Sophie."

"Don't use that growly voice on me!" I snapped. "You can't order me around like that; I'm not one of your dogs!"

"Just let me—"

I shirked away when he tried to grab my wrist.

"Get away from me, Orion! Just back off!" I hissed, pushing at him and ignoring the snarl that formed on his lips. "Don't you dare touch me!"

"Don't test me, Regina."

I snorted, ripped out the I.V. in my arm, and rolled carelessly onto my feet. Rex narrowed those intense eyes of his, his lip twitching into that snarl again as his entire face was twisted and contorted by that unattractive scowl on his face.

"What do you think you're doing?" he growled, watching me much too carefully.

I reached out, my finger only just grazing his chest.

"You don't own me, Rex," I mocked, watching my finger through hazy eyes as it trailed up his jaw and rolled over his lower lip. "If anything, I own you."

His eyes darkened, and he tried to grab me. But I leaned back just far enough that his lazy pawing was all for naught. I turned my back to him and started for the window, my hips rocking exaggeratedly from side to side.

"Rex," I murmured, throwing open the glass. "Why are you so easy to play?"

"Stop this. She's not ready."

I pouted. "You like her more than you like me. I thought we were going to take over together. But instead you want that...human," I drawled, rolling my eyes at the thought.

"I could never want anyone but you, you have to believe me. But Sophie isn't ready to shift yet."

Sophie... Please come back to me.

I tried to smile, but... But where was I! I couldn't find my own mouth! It was like...I had stopped existing!

Orion, what is going on? How am I... How am I even talking? Am I talking? Where am I!

Just...breathe, okay? I tried to tell you, but you became way too hostile. And that brush with death... It stirred her up.

Stirred who up? What are you even talking about!

Regina has spent her entire life asleep, unaware of her own existence... But your wolf finally awoke.


"Tell your mutt to shut up!" I hissed, slamming Rex against the wall and snarling in his face.

But no... No, that wasn't me, was it?

"Regina, please," Rex whimpered, his eyes softening incredibly. "Orion didn't even think you existed. But I've waited so long to meet you. I didn't want it to be like this... I love you."

She stumbled backward, and I caught sight of her reflection in the mirror. She looked like me. But her eyes were that horribly bright blue, and her teeth were much too sharp...

Oh, God!

Sophie, you have to calm down. Okay? If you don't you're going to—


This weird feeling washed over me, and suddenly there was this intense warmth... I sighed, leaning into it completely, giving myself to this new shelter. I was vaguely aware of the reflection of the woman, the woman who had been knocked to her knees, her back arching as a silent scream filled her throat. When the wonderful feeling passed, I felt completely relaxed. Without a care in the world, I returned to the situation at hand.

But the woman was gone! Then there was a loud howl... My eyes were drawn to the small, shaking wolf. She looked afraid: her legs were wobbling beneath her, and her eyes were shifting around the room. Rex took a step towards her... And she crashed through the window.
♠ ♠ ♠
Some of you may be thinking I'm all sixes and sevens here... But I hope this chapter made sense! Basically, Sophie only survived because her suppressed wolf--henceforth known as Regina--was awoken by the fear of death. So Regina took control over Sophie's body while Sophie was predisposed with trying to make sense of how she was still alive, which is why Sophie was completely unaware of the fact that her actions were not her own. The wolf took over right after Sophie finished waffling about Rein and Jonathan, which I tried to convey with Sophie's sudden agitation and snapping at Orion. If not that, her sudden seductress act was meant to show a complete 180 shift in her behaviour.

Long story short, looks like Sophie isn't quite as human as she thought! So hopefully that clears up the confusion, existent or otherwise! If there's any other questions, just drop them in the comments and I'll address them in the next instalment :)

Another thing: my take on werewolves if the idea of two different people sharing one vessel, so the wolf and the human can have completely different personalities--which is the case with Sophie and Regina.