Status: Alive and Kicking!

The Ripple Effect

Alpha Duties

Orion had been less than pleased with me when I showed up at the meeting with his counsel, but he couldn't exactly order me away (though he did tell me, through the link, that he would be having a stern talk with his father for directing me to the grand hall).

But this meeting was punishment enough! I nearly nodded off five times, and the only thing that kept me awake was Orion's booming voice that filled the entire room. Daniel offered encouraging smiles from across the large, rectangular table. Of course, I smiled back.

That is not to say, however, that I would not welcome being shot again.

"Alpha Sophie, you look a bit under the weather this morning."

I shot back into full awareness, and I smiled.

"I'm just a bit tired is all. This is a lot to take in."

The councilman frowned.

"Are you sure? You look a bit ill." He glanced to Orion. "Sir, is it morning sickness?"

I sputtered, and Orion's jaw dropped. Was this seriously up for discussion?

"E-excuse me?" Orion gawked, his wide eyes bolting to me. "My mate is not—"

The table suddenly broke out in murmurs, and Orion gave me an apologetic look. I shook my head and rolled my eyes. Honestly, were they that desperate? I could only imagine how they would react if they learned that Orion and I hadn't actually...mated.

"Would you all kindly belt up!"

All eyes shot to Daniel, whose face was scrunched beyond recognition. He let out a long breath before looking to me.

"Sophie, you're not expecting." I shook my head. "Now, can we move on to more pressing matters than the personal affairs of our Alpha? What about the border? Are the new patrolmen well versed in their duties this morning?"

I mouthed a "thank you" to Daniel, to which he only nodded curtly, and then the humdrum soon returned. Orion's hand fell to my thigh, effectively making me jump in my seat. His smile was light as Daniel's conversation with the counsel slowly faded into the background.

Sophie, I was hoping to talk to you tonight.

About what?

About...
His grip tightened on my leg, and my face heated. I love you, Sophie.

Before I could even think to response, he cut the connection and resumed paying attention to the dull discussion before us.

The only good thing about accompanying Orion to his daily...festivities...was the fact that we only had to suffer for six hours. So by three in the afternoon, the counsel adjourned. I let out a sigh of relief when I pushed open the large doors and sunlight poured inside.

"Did you enjoy your first taste of leadership?" Daniel snickered from behind me.

Orion chuckled beside him before joining me at my side. Daniel picked up the pace until he was on my other side.

"You are a bunch of jerks, thinking you're all big and bad because you're male. Well do you want to know what I think? I think being Alpha is really boring!" I bemoaned, leaning against Orion. The smile on my lips could not be helped when his arms wrapped around me.

I'd waited much too long to have him by my side again.

"Daniel, do you think you could go and get Rein and Jonathan? Rein's been nagging at me to go for a run, and I don't think Jonathan will like being left out—"

"Could you get Brian, too?"

Daniel groaned.

"What am I, a personal slave?"

"That's the loose definition of 'Beta,' yes," Orion teased, waving Daniel on as he grumbled.

As soon as Daniel's figure had retreated in the distance, the air seemed to get twice as thick. I knew I needed to tell Orion about last night, but... But that urgent look on his face made my tongue falter.

"Sophie, while we have these few minutes to ourselves, can I ask you something?"

I swallowed a painful breath, forcing out, "Shoot."

He glanced to me out of the corner of his eye, and he bit his lip.

"Is there...something you don't like about me?" Whoa! "I mean, I understand that Rein came to you in the wrong way, at the wrong time... I know that's not something you can just get over—I do, so don't think I'm trying to force you into anything. It's just..."

"Orion...Stop it," I mumbled, grabbing his hand. "Just stop."

"Is there something I'm doing wrong?"

"I don't know how this mates thing works, Orion. I grew up human. As a human, my mother always said that marriage is a sacred thing; a child out of wedlock was... Well, it ruined my relationship with her. I just need to get used to the whole mate thing first, okay? So stop it."

"So one day—"

"You'll have your pup, you oaf," I grumbled, kissing his cheek softly. "Just...not now. Dummy."

He smiled. "You treat me so well."

"Oh, hush." I kissed him quickly, just before Rein rammed into my stomach.

"Mama, do you want to meet Aster?" he whispered, grinning like a buffoon.

"Who is Aster?"

My pup. My beautiful pup, Regina cooed, a smile in her voice. I want to see my pup, Sophie.

Brian shuffled awkwardly beside the beaming Jonathan, and I smiled to him.

"We'll do this together, honey. What do you say?"

A timid smile formed on his lips. And he nodded slowly.

Breindel is being a good pup. He's very gentle, you know. I want to meet him, too.

"Daniel, would you like to join us?"

He grinned.

"Of course I would. We'll make a day of it. The family, all together."

My solitary run last night had been meant to clear my head, but really... This was much better. Having my mate by my side, my mate's best friend frolicking with my pups, and my little brother coming out of his shell...

This was enough. Even if the stupid nightmares kept testing me, and even if I would always have the lingering fear of Luca coming back...

This was enough to make it all worth it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sure it seems like nothing important is happening right now... But I promise it's all building toward something! So thanks for reading, and I hope you all enjoyed it :)