Status: Alive and Kicking!

The Ripple Effect

Lunch Date

"Thanks for lunch. This is really nice."

"I'm sure you needed out of that house. And I'm sure I needed the company anyway."

I smiled to Melissa as I sipped at my tea. Yes, getting away from that house was definitely a nice change of pace. Daniel had taken the boys out for a run, but I just hadn't been feeling quite up to par. Regina wasn't fairing much better either. I didn't even know how I'd gotten here; it was like I had just stumbled up to the front door and knocked without any conscious effort.

Times like these made me wish I still had a family. Sure, there was Clarice, and there was Nate. But they didn't know the circumstances behind Rein. Not really. Melissa already knew. And having a mother—if only for a day—was really nice.

"Orion told me about Luca's..." She shook her head. "He's probably just scared about the punishment he'll get. Don't think for a second that he didn't recognize you, that he isn't dying to meet Rein."

I shook my head. "That's the thing. I was screaming at him for pretending like it never happened, but he just looked... He didn't look remorseful or like he didn't care; he looked confused and pained. Like he almost cared." I let out a long breath. "I guess I just keep praying this will all turn out different than I know it turned out."

She smiled gently, placing her hand on my shoulder before taking the empty plates from the table. Over her shoulder, she called, "I hear that Daniel took him out."

I smiled. "Yeah, knocked him right to the ground the second he touched me."

A warm yet slight smile formed on her lips.

"He's a good boy, that Daniel."

"Speaking of Daniel, he says you're his mother?" I asked her warmly, smiling.

She stopped what she was doing.

"What?"

My smile faltered. "I... I mean, he says you raised him, after his parents died."

"Oh." She returned to the sink, dropping the dishes into the soapy water. "Yes. Stephen and I took him in. He was just a young boy at the time, hardly able to take care of himself. Luca and him were very close... That's why we offered him the Beta position over our own son." She smiled again. "Orion just didn't seem too interested in the politics of it anyway."

"So Orion didn't really want this?"

She frowned. "How could he? He grew up as the second son, the one who didn't have to worry about taking over. He was raised as a carefree child. The only serious thing he ever had to worry about was his mate and family." She scratched determinedly at a dirty dish. "I always told him stories about mates, about how Stephen and I met. Orion was always a sensitive little boy, but the way his eyes lit up when he talked about his mate—a woman he didn't even know..."

She grinned to me, a soft glow about her. My face burned.

"I'm glad the universe rewarded him with you, Sophie. I know you're exactly what he dreamed about for all these years. And you already know he'll be the most doting father to your pups."

I smiled, but it was only half-heartedly. Surely he didn't dream about damaged goods, about a mate who would already have a child with his brother and who would pull away any time his kisses became too meaningful. Surely he didn't want a mate who was terrified of that glazed look in his eyes whenever he whispered "I love you."

Surely he didn’t want a mate who made him so insecure about himself that he began to ask what was wrong with him. Orion needed someone to love him unconditionally, but I was just damaged. He deserved so much more.

"Why are you crying, Sophie?"

I stumbled with my tongue for a moment before swallowing the rising sob, throwing on a fake smile, and choking out, "I just love him so much."

What kind of mate was I?

"Melissa, I really need to talk to him," I mumbled, pushing away from the counter and hurrying to the door. "This was lovely, really, but I need to see Orion. I just—"

I cried out in disorientation when I was knocked backward, but a hand reached out and gripped my wrist. The arm jerked me roughly back onto my feet, propelling me forward until I slammed into my "savior."

"Careful, Sophie," Daniel muttered, giving me a stern look.

He looked tense, clearly on edge. I ripped myself away from him.

"What's wrong?" I whispered, peering around him. Something was wrong.

"You need to come with me for—"

"Daniel?" Melissa's voice seemed really stern. I glanced between the two of them. Daniel was forcing a timid smile, but Melissa didn't appear to be buying any of it. "Sophie is keeping me company, actually. So I don’t think she'll be coming with you."

"Sophie, you need to come with me."

"What exactly for?" Melissa demanded, reaching out and grabbing my shoulder.

"Orion wants her," Daniel told her, his eyes narrowed.

"For what?" she countered.

He sighed, closing his eyes and throwing his hands into the air.

"It's a surprise. I promised not to ruin it, and I've already said too much." Daniel opened his eyes again and held out a hand. "Sophie, you shouldn't keep your mate waiting. It's something important, I can tell you that much."

Melissa looked like she wanted to protest further, but I placed my hand on hers.

"I'll be fine, Melissa. Really. I wanted to talk to Orion anyway. How about we have dinner at the pack house tonight?" I offered, smiling to her. "I'll fetch you when its ready."

"I—"

"We have to go," Daniel told me regretfully, pulling firmly on my wrist.

"Oh, okay. Bye, Melissa!" I called over my shoulder, waving absently. "Now, can you ease up, Daniel? You're pulling my arm out of its socket!"

"Oh. Sorry," he mumbled, releasing me. "He told me to fetch you as quickly as possible."

"Can you give me a hint?" He shook his head. "Is it about Luca?" Daniel sighed but shook his head again. "Is it business? Or is it more like...private stuff?"

"Private," he said quickly, pushing a branch out of the way as we ventured into the thicket.

"Is it lovey-dovey stuff or more talks about babies?" I grumbled, still feeling a bit overwhelmed from my time with Melissa.

Yes, I wanted to be a better mate—but I just wasn't quite there yet. It was nothing against Orion; it was everything against Luca.

"I'm not saying any more, Sophie. It's a bit of a walk, so I brought you a water bottle." He dug into the bag on his back and produced said bottle. I took it gratefully and sipped at it. "It's closer to the edge of the territory. Did you know there are cliffs here? So stay close and pay attention to where you step. We wouldn't want you to fall."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the delay! But I'd like to think that things are about to get mighty interesting in the next few updates to come ;)

So hopefully you enjoyed the chapter! I'll try to update within a week :)