Status: Alive and Kicking!

The Ripple Effect

There, There

I told her the story from the very beginning. I told her about Lorena, the woman with whom I thought I would spend my life. And I told her when I found out she was my brother’s mate, when she swore me into secrecy—a secrecy so deep that I had never told anyone—and refused to let me raise her son. And I told her about Sophie, my mate. The woman I had to give up because my brother was in love with her. I told her how Sophie knew she wasn’t his mate, but she loved him more than she could have ever loved me. I harboured no hatred for my brother. He didn’t know that Lorena was his mate, and he had no idea that Sophie wasn’t.

And he would never find out.

And I told her about my best-friend-slash-brother betraying me for my title, getting me kicked out of my pack and stripped of my title. And I told her about finding Zeya, crying and beaten in a tree. I told her everything about me. Iah howled and screamed at me for forcing the painful memories to flow, but I didn’t hold back a single word.

“But none of that matters. All that matters now is Zeya’s happiness, not my own. I already missed out on my chance, but she still has hope. The only thing standing in her way is her upbringing as a weapon. The girl could be a cold-blooded killer, but I just want her to be a normal little girl. And that little girl wants me to get along with you, and I don’t have the heart to tell her that I can’t give her that. So please, can’t you just fake it? Pretend you don’t hate me?”

She was quiet for a moment, and she refused to look at me. Her eyes stayed on her feet, her hand gripping the bandages on her arm. The only sound in the forest was our quiet breathing. She finally looked up to me, and her eyes were red.

And not like “red with seething rage.” Her eyes were bloodshot. Like she had been crying.

“I didn’t mean to upset you!” I whispered quickly, unsure what to do. “I just mean—”

“It’s not you that I hate,” she muttered quietly, sighing. “I don’t particularly like you, but you could be worse.” Gee, that’s super. “I live in a predominantly female pack, Luca. I’m one of their top warriors. There’s a reason for both of those things, and your sex is a major factor in that.”

“I had a feeling.”

She gave me a tired look. “You’re not what I expected. You do know that every woman in this place has been ogling you, right?” I blinked twice. “You’re serious?”

“That’s very nice of you to say.” I looked down, feeling even more uncomfortable than I thought possible. “But stop.”

“What? You batting for the other team?”

I gave her a strange look. “I’m not after a mate—male or ...otherwise.”

“Zeya is going to need a mother, Luca. Don’t be selfish.”

“I know that I’m not enough for her. But it’s been two years, and my wolf can’t look at a female without remembering her.” I swallowed a difficult breath. “I know I’m selfish. And I’m not going to justify it. I just... I just can’t. Even if I believed you, that any one of those women found me remotely acceptable, I still wouldn’t be ready. Not yet. ”

She was quiet then, before she looked up at me with an awkward look on her face. Her lips were pursed, and her eyes showed horrible discomfort before she reached out and patted my shoulder twice.

“Uh... Sorry.”

I smiled uncomfortably, not even sure what to do next. Did I just walk away? Did I thank her? Did I laugh at the fact that we were both standing here, shifting awkwardly between our feet? She probably wouldn’t like that...

“Luca, I’m sure you expect me to give you a story, but—”

I shook my head quickly. “No, don’t do that. I don’t despise you with every fiber of my being, so you don’t owe me anything. I just wanted us to be on...better terms. Are we?”

“I guess.”

“Okay... Then I’m going to get Zeya and tell her we should get going.”

She nodded quickly. “You should probably see Alpha Lori before you go. Where are you going anyway?”

Oh, it was always so embarrassing to answer that question!

“I...don’t know yet.” She gave me a weird look—that scrunched up gorilla face. I looked down quickly before I could laugh and enrage her again.

“I’m not even going to ask. Just...Go back the way you came. Jess should be at the post.”

I groaned. “Is Jess the one with the skimpy shirt?”

An amused look crossed her face.

“Jess likes to think with the two brains attached to her chest,” she told me, smirking with a mischievous look in her eyes. “I’ll leave you to defend yourself.”

I tried to protest, but she just started walking away. With no better choice, I dragged myself back into their pack house. This Jess woman was waiting by the entrance, and her eyes flickered over me before she smirked. I didn’t like that smirk. It was...not as innocent as I once thought.

“Come back for the tour, did we?”

“I need to see the Alpha,” I told her quickly, glancing around. “Where is her grand hall?”

She stepped forward and caught my wrist. I smiled uncomfortably as she stepped closer, so close that her body brushed against mine. Iah growled in my head, and I was in agreement with him. I may not like the chase, but I also didn’t like being chased!

“I’ll show you,” she breathed, nipping at my ear. My face scrunched up, but I forced a smile.

She led me down a few winding halls, slipping her hand in the crook of my arm. The woman clearly did not understand that I just wasn’t here to mess around; but I just didn’t know how to tell her that!

“You’re leaving so soon, then?”

“Zeya and I need to get going,” I said quickly, suppressing a growl when she pulled me to the wall, pressing her back against it. I turned my head to the side, sighing. Clearly being passive wasn’t going to work. Obviously this woman did have a slight crush on me, but that didn’t mean I was interested—even if she was the only woman on the planet to not spit at me.

“Maybe you could stay? Just a little longer?”

I started to decline politely, but then my skin tightened. This woman was nuts! She grinned up at me as her fingers trailed over my arm. Then she leaned closer, her eyes glued to my mouth.

I backed up quickly. “Jess, no.” Down, girl! “I’m not looking for that right now.”

That’s how my mother had taught me to turn down women, anyway. I smiled inwardly. Thanks, Mom.

But she just smiled. “You’re broken? You need fixed?”

“No, I don’t need fixed. I need—”

She smashed her lips against mine, and my eyes widened. Seriously! Iah started snapping and snarling inside my head, and my skin crawled with distaste. Revolting. Unacceptable! My eyes narrowed into slits, and I couldn’t stop Iah from taking over.

He whipped around quickly, slamming her against the wall with little care for her comfort. Her eyes were wide, but Iah didn’t much care about sparing feelings.

“I did not say you could touch me!” he snarled, a growl rumbling in my throat. “You do not touch an Alpha without permission, and I don’t remember giving you any permission! The last thing I want is whatever disease you carry! I swear if you ever touch me again, I will rip out your very tongue so it has to stop!”

She shrunk against the wall, and I immediately felt bad. But Iah was just grinning and laughing that harsh, mocking laugh that had made me cringe since the very first time I heard it.

Zeya and my wolf had a lot in common in terms of having the making of perfect killers. That was why I tried to stay in my human form unless I was in a fight... He just couldn’t be trusted.

I ripped myself from the woman and groaned loudly, shaking my head as Iah ranted about being in captivity and threatened a ten-year takeover of my body. But the beast only made a mess of everything!

“I’m sorry, Jess. My wolf is still in mourning of my mate. Please do not touch me again,” I said quietly, unable to make eye contact with the poor woman.

I stepped around her quickly, slipping into the grand hall. The woman sitting at the end of the room watched me with a knowing smile.

“Eliana said you’re a rogue, but your wolf says you are an Alpha,” she told me, a slightly amused smile on her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Maybe now Lorena's firm refusal of Luca makes a bit more sense to everyone? Sometimes I think I'm too harsh with Luca... But then I think, nah! :P After all, he has a no-nonsense, B.A. wolf to watch out for him, right?

Until next time! (Hopefully I can update this weekend sometime amidst my studies)
--Mira