Status: Alive and Kicking!

The Ripple Effect

The Messenger

“Of course you heard that,” I muttered, closing the distance between us. “I apologise for attacking your guard. I’m not in my right mind, apparently.”

You are weak; a disgrace!

You are insane, which is even more disgraceful, I growled back to my wolf, but he just spat at me.

“It’s a normal thing, for Alphas to struggle with their wolves,” the seemingly young woman said quietly, sighing. “It was something I, too, had trouble with. Arcia likes a good fight now and then. But that’s why Alphas are strong: our wolves have no sense of boundaries.”

“Seems like a curse to me, honestly.”

“You are obviously a sweet man. But I cannot convince you to stay, can I?”

I smiled. “I need my own pack. I would just cause too much trouble here.”

She laughed. “I suppose you would. Okay, Alpha Luca. I cannot keep you—”

But the doors suddenly barged open, and the Alpha jumped onto her feet, in a fighter’s stance. Her eyes widened and flickered to an intense blue colour, the tell-tale sign of her wolf's emergence.

“Alpha Lori!” the messenger panted, gripping the wall. He wore the insignia of the Crescent Pack around his neck, and my interest was immediately captured. “We need your help! It’s the Shadow Pack! There is word of a planned invasion!”

My blood ran cold, and Iah itched at my skin. If they invaded...

They would kill Mark and Talia.

“Alpha Lori, I recommend contacting the Trinity Pack. Mark and Talia are allies, and my brother will not hesitant to send aid,” I barked quickly, turning my back to the messenger. “Alone, you cannot hope to beat the Shadow Pack.”

“If Alpha Orion is willing—”

“He is,” I said quickly, turning to the Crescent Scout. “Tell Mark that I’m going to see my brother. We’ll help in every way we can.”

“Alpha Luca, our fate is in your hands,” the scout whimpered, and my heart clenched.

Failure was not an option.

I immediately ran out of the grand hall, skidding around the corner and rushing back to the campfire where I had left Zeya. The girl was braiding some woman’s hair, chatting happily. But I grabbed her hand and pulled her away from her bliss.

“Papa! Stop it!” she growled, but I turned to her with urgency in my eyes.

“I don’t expect you to understand or agree with me right now, but we have to go. Do not fight me on this,” I barked, trying to ignore how tears welled up in her eyes.

“Papa, you’re being mean!” she cried, breaking my heart.

“Mark and Talia are in danger, Zeya! We don’t have time for this!”

Her sniffling stopped. “Talia and Mark?” She looked down at her dress. “Okay...”

“Luca! What is going on!” Eliana demanded, grabbing my arm as I tried to storm away.

With a low hiss, I told her, “The Shadow Pack.”

Her eyes darkened. “What about them?”

“They’re planning an invasion of the Crescent Pack. If they take hold there, they’ll make their way northward. We won’t be able to stop them. Now I have to go!”

“No.”

I growled at her. “It wasn’t a question.”

“No, you can’t go yet. I’m coming with you.”

“What!”

“I either leave with you, or I will catch up to you within a few minutes. It’s your choice. Don’t question me on this; we don’t have the time.”

I gave her a hard look, but she just returned the same determination. So I gave her a curt nod.

“Be ready to leave in ten minutes. And pack light.”

She gave me a harsh look. “I know about missions, Luca.”

Then she turned from me quickly and stormed the pack house. Zeya was whimpering beside me, and I groaned. Her sniffling had picked back up, and she was now rubbing her teary eyes.

“Love, I’m so sorry that you got caught up in this.”

“But Mark and Talia! They’re going to be hurt because of me!”

“It’s not because of you,” I promised, gather her in my arms and walking slowly and calmly toward the pack house. “It’s because they want more territory. They don’t even know you were there.”

“How do you know?”

“They probably think you’re long gone.” Her eyes bugged out of her head, and I kicked myself for my horrible choice of words. I was talking to a little girl, not one of my soldiers! “I just... Normal girls wouldn’t last two years on their own. But you’re not a normal girl, are you?” She shook her head slowly. “It’s going to be okay, Zeya. Do you trust me?”

She buried her head in my chest, and a tiny movement of her little head was all I needed.

The messenger came running out of the hall, but he stopped when he saw me.

“Alpha Luca, you left so quickly that I didn't get to tell you! The invasion is planned for two months from now, under the full moon.” I let out a sigh of relief. That gives us some time... “So try not to give your pup a heart attack. I know it’s easier said than done, but try to ease up on worrying. Mark and Talia know what they’re doing.”

“I know...”

He gave me a quick smile before shifting and running back toward the thick forest. I had obviously freaked Zeya out, and that wasn’t going to help in the long run.

“Did you hear that, sweetheart?” I murmured, kissing the side of her head as we started walking. “We’re going to get back to my old pack, and then we can have a mini vacation while the warriors prepare. Everything is going to be okay, love.”

“Are—are you sure?” she whimpered into my shirt, gripping the fabric tightly.

“I’m sure.”

“Luca.” I looked up quickly. Eliana was standing before me, carrying only a backpack. Her stern frown was further emphasized by the scar on her cheek that trailed down to her lips, making the purse of her lips even more pronounced.

“We’re ready,” I told her, nodding. I gave her a knowing look, shifting my eyes between her and Zeya. She nodded minutely.

“Zeya, how about you tell me how you learned to braid hair like that?” she cooed, grinning to the little girl.

I threw my head back in relief when Zeya started chatting away, a smile on her face so bright that little dimples formed on her cheeks. But as I watched Eliana, I knew one thing for sure.

This woman was going to make this trip ten-times harder. And I would be walking on eggshells the entire time.

Oh...joy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well... I'm out of immediate chapters again! But I suppose I'll just have to sit down and hash some out with the ol' noggin :D But I have some ideas swirling around for this book ;)

Thanks for reading, recommending, commenting, and subscribing! It means the world :)
--Mira