Status: Alive and Kicking!

The Ripple Effect

Acquaintances

It was the first time I was truly able to see Zeya as a wolf, save the time I saw her collapsed by the tree during the ambush... But these circumstances were at least slightly different.

Misa, Zeya’s little black wolf, was scampering about the forest on sure feet. It was immediately obvious to my trained eye that she had a slight limp—yet it was hardly pronounced. Despite Misa’s injury, Zeya had clearly taken the time and effort to get to know her other half. She was comfortable in her second skin, and the wolf was developing phenomenally in terms of maturity. This girl never ceased to amaze me.

Eliana and I, however, chose to remain in human form. I could not speak for the woman, but my choice was greatly determined by the wild nature of my wolf. Sure, he seemed docile enough and without immediate motive to cause trouble... But he could turn with the slightest breeze. He had only been tame once in our entire life—when he saw Sophie. Even then, he was only so docile because he was obviously caught off guard by his kitten-like curiosity...

When Eliana asked me why I opted not to shift, she easily accepted the incomplete truth I told her: my back was still tender, and shifting wouldn’t be so inherently comfortable—however, the deciding factor remained as Iah.

Part of me wished Eliana would shift and run around with Zeya. Heaven knows the two got on better than Eliana and I! But I wouldn’t press my luck and demand to know why Eliana so gently declined Zeya’s request to shift. The girl had puffed her cheeks out in distaste, but eventually she accepted the fact that she would sniff around on her own.

“I’ve heard great things about the Trinity Pack,” Eliana said suddenly, the silence finally falling apart after what seemed like hours. “They are strong and, from what I hear, brave. Very organized, too.”

I nodded quickly. My old pack was known as one of the strongest in the region, but there was something most people didn’t know. Our pack was bizarre in a sense that we lacked the formal structure that most places desired. Our alphas take charge, yes, but for the most part, our pack mates watch out for each other. It frees our alphas to spend time with their family. And what could be better for morale than that?

But people just assumed our pack was so very well structured.

“So... Why’d you leave?”

I tensed immediately, and I could not help it when my eyes darted to Eliana. She immediately bit down on her lip, visibly regretting what she thought would be an innocent conversational piece.

“I—I was just trying to—”

“It’s okay,” I decided with a loud sigh. “You know about the whole criminal thing. But I know it seems strange. I mean, my name was cleared. My brother would have welcomed me with open arms. But I’m still hanging onto the hope that one day my mate will tear out my brother’s heart to be with me. It’s a horrible thing to wish for, but it’s a wish that would only have grown stronger if I had stayed. I think it would have destroyed me...

“I’d rather be a ‘filthy rogue’ than a man who destroyed his own brother.”

There was a slight blush on her cheeks, and she mumbled what I think was an apology.

“They say that a wolf without his mate will go mad with grief and strife,” she murmured, watching the forest ahead of us as Zeya bounced around happily among the trees and rocks.

I smiled sadly. “I can see why.”

Another silence fell over us, but this time it seemed heavier. Glancing out of the corner of my eye, I could see the internal conflict playing across Eliana’s face. She was gnawing her lip to hell, and her eyes were clouded. She was fighting herself over what to say next.

“Eliana, I tell you these things because it is obvious to me that you might know a little something about the things I’ve gone through.” She tensed, whipping around to stare at me with a panicked face. “But I don’t expect anything in return. I said that already, and I meant it. You don’t owe me anything, so stop worrying about that.”

“What makes you so sure that’s what I was thinking about!” she snapped, her speech gravelly and quick. Being harsh was clearly her defense mechanism, and I had hit too close to home.

She clearly hated being predicted. Perhaps she valued her secrets, and I would respect that.

I shrugged. “Just a guess. I can’t know for sure.”

“That’s a damn lie. You’re using your alpha powers on me, aren’t you?” she hissed, an intense scowl taking over her brow. “Don’t use that thing on me!”

I nodded slowly. “Sorry. It’s just a habit.”

“Just...” She sighed loudly. “Don’t be so damn observant.” Her eyes slid away from me.

I sighed internally. What was I to do? I could not speak two words with the woman without upsetting her!

“Luca, I’m not out to be friends with everyone I meet. I hope you’ll respect that.”

And just like that, all possibility of a pleasant trip flew out the window.

“Of course.”

Then she quickened her pace, and I walked alone. But part of me could not help but wonder... If she was so adamant about being left alone, why did she demand to come with us?

A wet nose of my hand pulled me from my thoughts and put a small smile on my face. The little wolf howled up at me before nudging against my leg. She sounded a bit nervous, but her tail was still wagging.

Papa, can we move faster? she whimpered. Just off your right flank, I can smell my old pack. They must have been scouting recently.

Zeya, I can’t afford another fight so soon. Would you tell Eliana what you’ve just told me?

She bobbed her head up and down before bounding off. The scent of the unfamiliar pack had Iah on edge, and he was snarling and snapping in my head demanding to be allowed to investigate. My wolf was always a constant head ache!

But there was also a rippling pain radiating up my spine... And it had me gritting my teeth as I tried to keep up with the two who were now covering ground twice as fast. I had been on my own for so long, it seemed easy. But now, I felt so useless! And that just made Iah angrier, which didn’t help at all.

“Papa, are you okay?”

I forced myself to relax, but the look of discomfort just wouldn’t slip from my face. Zeya was staring up at me through those wide eyes. She looked so worried... I was scaring her.

I reached down to pick her up and assure her I was fine, but a nerve in my back clenched. I hissed, immediately putting her back down and resting against a tree.

“Sorry, Zeya. I can’t,” I panted, closing my eyes and trying to ignore the throbbing wound. The combination of rough-housing with Zeya and running around constantly must have finally caught up with me. But taking it easy wasn’t exactly possible right now!

“Papa, you’re hurt!” she cried, wrapping her entire body around my leg and whimpering. “It’s my fault! I’m sorry, Papa!”

I groaned internally, but I just couldn’t find the words to make her feel any better.

“Luca, what exactly is wrong with your back? You’re walking like an old man without a spine,” Eliana muttered grouchily, stomping up to us. She was the most compassionate person on earth, surely.

“Papa had to fight three wolves who were after me, and he got hurt bad!” Zeya hissed, her face red and covered in tears. “But I thought you were all better!”

“Stitches don’t constitute a full recovery, Zeya,” I forced out between clenched teeth. “It’s nothing. Let’s just keep going.”

I tried to push myself from the tree, but another stitch in my spine stretched and I had to bite down on my knuckle to keep from screaming and alerting everyone within a mile radius.

“They clearly did a bad job with the needle. Let me see.”

I gave Eliana a tired look. “What good can you do?”

She gave me a sour look, so I sighed and carefully slipped my shirt over my head. When the woman circled around me, she gave out a low whistle.

“Wow.”

“What? What’s wrong?”

“Your back... It looks like a baboon’s arse.”

“Watch the language!” I growled, but Zeya was already giggling.

“In all seriousness, that’s a crazy infection. And at least half of your stitches aren’t really...well, stitched. This is some battle wound. I’d hate to see the other guys.”

I couldn’t help the grin on my face as Iah took over and laughed, “They’re dead.”

I shook my head, forcing the wolf back into my head. Zeya was giving me a curious look. But... I already knew Iah and Zeya were a lot alike. Iah’s morality was definitely nonexistent, and Zeya didn’t need to learn his take on killing.

“You can’t keep going on like this. I have to fix it.”

“By fix, you mean—”

“What else could I mean? We’ll have to set up camp tonight so I can stitch you back up. I’ve got the needle and everything.”

I sighed in relief. “So you have a good numbing agent in that bag of yours?”

Her planning was quite impressive!

But then she circled back around me, grabbed a stick from the forest floor, and handed it to me. I stared down at it questioningly. What was this twig for?

“There’s your numbing agent; bite down when it hurts.” The blood fled from my face. “And... It’s going to hurt.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This one was really trying to introduce both Luca and Eliana a bit more. Luca's really...calculating. And Eliana is... Well, you'll find out a bit more. But I think it's obvious by now that she's a really pain in the arse :p

Hope to update soon! Maybe this weekend? As always, thanks for reading!
--Mira