Status: Alive and Kicking!

The Ripple Effect

Would You Take Her Back?

Zeya rammed into my stomach, wrapping her small arms around me and smiling up at me. I could not help but grin in response. My little warrior...

“Look at my wrist, Papa!” she squealed, following her own orders. “Ellie helped me like she helped you. We’re like...battle-scar brothers!”

“You’re ridiculous,” I teased, catching her arm and bringing the unsightly stitches to my lips for a chaste kiss. She giggled up at me, but then she squirmed and wriggled her way right out of my grasp. “I still want you to take it easy, Zeya.”

She waved her hand dismissively as she walked away from me, and I sighed loudly. Stubborn girl.

We soon packed up camp, but this time Zeya had to walk on two feet beside both Eliana and myself; though she did voice her disapproval rather loudly. The girl had all of her energy back, so she rarely walked with us; rather, she took off, sprinting back and forth as Eliana and I walked at a comfortable pace.

“Eliana, can I ask you something?”

“That wasn’t part of the deal,” she mumbled, cutting me a curt look.

“I know. I just... That locket. You clearly treasure it, so I was just wondering—”

“You’re too observant, Luca,” she reminded me again, but then she sighed in defeat. Eliana carefully removed the locket from her neck and stared at the small heart in her hands. “It’s a family heirloom, I guess. My grandfather gave it to my grandmother, so she gave it to my mother. My father gave it to me on my fourteenth birthday, because he said he promised my mother that he would. It was empty when I got it, but I put two pictures in it. Of course my Aylin is in there, but there’s also the one family photo I have with Calin and Aylin.

“I know I hate the man now, but there was a time when normalcy seemed almost obtainable. It’s back when things weren’t so ruined and dark.” She ran her fingers along the metal, sighed, and clasped it around her neck. “I would throw the picture out, but I only have so many photos of Aylin.”

I nodded, not sure what to say. What had I expected? I guess a part of me was bothered by the fact that she still seemed to hold on to her mate, just like how a part of Zeya still seemed to hang onto her father despite everything. And...just how I still clung to Sophia even though I knew that was over before it even began.

I guess I just wanted one of us to be able to let go, to give us all incentive to finally forget the world of what-ifs.

“I’m sure you understand, don’t you? I mean, even after your mate rejected you, you still cannot just let her go.”

“I suppose. But my mate didn’t hurt me physically.”

“And mine didn’t really hurt me mentally, if you think about it. Yes, I hate him, and I would never take him back. But he didn’t deny me for another woman, really. Yours denied you for your own brother, and I think that would hurt worse.”

I smiled sadly. “I suppose you’re right.”

“If given the choice, would you take her back?”

I froze. If Sophie came to me, crying and begging forgiveness for her terrible mistake...would I welcome her with open arms? I liked to think that a part of me would be bitter, but my wolf would...

“I think my wolf would overpower me to be with his mate, but it wouldn’t be right. Even if she left my brother, I still couldn’t turn against him like that. My wolf could, but I couldn’t.”

“I think we’re not good examples for Zeya,” Eliana sighed, shaking her head. “We’re both prisoners to our own wolves.”

“Why do you think I don’t like to shift? Iah is...only interested in killing.”

She smiled sadly. “Why do you think I don’t like to shift? Ara just wants blood.”

I smiled weakly to Eliana. We were a lot more alike than I had originally thought: we had the same problems, but we were raised to react differently.

“Eliana, I know you said you’re not interested in friends, but... I think we can help each other. If you’re willing to be more than acquaintances.”

She gave me an incredibly tired look, and she opened her mouth to refuse.

“Just hear me out. Zeya needs a stable role model. But she has us. I’m definitely not the epitome of a nicely put-together individual, and you have similar scars. Alone, we’re train wrecks. But if we just stick together, I think she has a chance. So please. Not for me; for that little girl.”

As if on cue, Zeya skipped up to us with her hands clasped behind her back. Her eyes were wide and curious as she stared up at us.

“What are you talking about?” she asked, her eyes shifting between the two of us.

I opened my mouth, but Eliana put her hand on my chest. I shut up immediately.

“Sweetheart, we’ve decided we’re going to stop fighting from now on. We’re all going to be a normal family. Does that sound nice?”

The biggest grin split the little girl’s face in half, and my heart melted like butter. Zeya could rip my heart to tiny pieces, and I would still love her with all that I had. They say nothing is stronger than the mate bond, but I was so sure in that moment that they had lied.

“Really? Honest?” She was nodding her head a mile-a-minute.

I shared a quick glance with Eliana, but she only smiled gently.

So I nodded.

Zeya threw her arms around both of us, squishing all of us together. But Eliana looked to me, and a sly grin crept onto her lips.

It wasn’t that evil grin, but it wasn’t an angel smirk either.

“Luca, I treat my friends worse than I treat my enemies.”

Oh, by the gods...
♠ ♠ ♠
I know my updates have been so irregular and sporadic. And I felt pretty crummy when I saw that I'd been silent for over 20 days. So my peace offering is two updates tonight, and a plan for another update this week. I've got the chapter all typed up, and I love it!

So be on the lookout for that after Thursday ;)

--Mira