Status: Alive and Kicking!

The Ripple Effect

Nightmares

I sprung upright, immediately whipping my head to the side, searching for her. Eliana was sleeping soundly at the base of a tree, and Zeya was curled up with her head in her lap—just as they had fallen asleep. I shook the remnants of my dream from my thoughts, and I stared into the red embers that remained from the fire.

It was just a dream... Just a dream, nothing more.

My eyes flickered to Zeya and Eliana once more. The two looked perfectly at ease, both with the most serene looks on their softened faces.

But it was just a dream. Just a stupid, nonsensical dream that meant nothing. Nothing. I sighed deeply and threw myself back onto the grass.

Her voice was incredibly soft and hoarse as she whispered, “Luca, is everything alright?”

My eyes captured hers immediately, and I muttered, “Yeah.” I kept the eye contact for a moment too long, and she closed her eyes quickly, obviously uncomfortable.

I turned onto my side. It was just a dumb dream, a stupid nightmare. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing.

But my eyes popped open, and I groaned in frustration as I stared into darkness. Just a dream!

“Luca! Stop playing around and come here!” her beautiful voice called, and I fell in love all over again.

“I’m coming, sheesh!” I groaned playfully, hurrying up the hill after the minx waiting for me.

“You’re going easy on me, aren’t you?”

I reached out and grabbed her hand the second she was within reach. Her soft laughter filled every part of me, and I couldn’t help but grin.

“I love you, Sophie,” I murmured, flicking my eyes across every inch of her face.

“I love you, too, even though you’re a terrible hiker,” she whispered, smiling so gently. “Now, come on. We need to get going if we want to get back before dawn breaks.”

I allowed her to drag me across the winding trails of the cliff that surrounded my pack’s land. This was what completeness felt like...

“Luca, do you hear that?”

I was about to question her, but... I did hear something. It was really faint, almost a whisper in the breeze. But it was...my name. Someone was screaming my name.

I ran toward the panicked voice until I saw someone running toward me. Squinting, I was able to make out who it was.

“Eliana!”

“Luca, help me!”

But everything went black. And suddenly I was walking down the winding path, heading toward Daniel’s old squatting grounds. But then I saw hands on the cliff, like someone was struggling to hang on. I hurried over, grabbing the hands and pulling as hard as I could.

Eliana flew over the ledge, and I groaned loudly as she collided against me.

“Luca...” I leaned closer to hear her. “Help me.”

“Luca, who is this?”

I turned quickly, sputtering as Sophia gawked down at the scene. Oh, what did this look like?

“Uh, Sophie, this is Eliana. Eliana, Sophie.”

“Luca... There just isn't enough room for us both here.”

I squinted at her. “What are you talking about? Sophie, you’re my everything.”

“Am I?”

“Luca, you said you would help me,” Eliana whispered, grabbing my chin and forcing me to look at her. “Help me!”

Everything went black again, and I was getting so dizzy! But now two voices were calling out my name. I hurried to the cliff. Two pairs of hands were clinging for life this time. I tried to grab both of them, Sophie and Eliana, but I just couldn’t hold on!

“Luca, you said you loved me!” Sophie screamed, tears rolling down her cheeks.

Eliana stared up at me with that spiteful glare, like she knew everything. And maybe she did.

“You can’t love anyone but yourself,” Eliana growled, immediately letting go.

I didn’t think, but all of a sudden I had jumped after her. Sophie just seemed to disappear.

“What are you trying to prove?” she hissed, fighting to push me away as I scrambled to wrap myself around her.

“I’m going to save you. So stop making it so damn difficult!”

“I don’t want to be saved!”

“But you need my help!”

Her eyes darkened, and the world just seemed to freeze. We just kept falling...falling, falling... She kept pushing, but I held tightly to her.

“I promised I would help you find your way again, Eliana,” I growled, clinging to her.

“And just how are you going to do that?” she scoffed, rolling her eyes despite our...situation.

“By helping you find Aylin.”

“That’s a lie. You’re doing this for your own stupid reasons.”

“What reason could I possibly have!”

Her eyes softened, and her body stilled. This switch... She kept flipping this switch, and I hated it! I scrunched my face up.

“No! You’re going to do that thing where you’re almost likeable, but I know it’s just an act!”

“You’re the one who jumped after me, Luca.”

I froze. I... I did. I had jumped after her, but why the hell did I jump? She was hardly a prize! Her hand grazed my cheek, and my entire body jolted in shock.

“Eli—”

“You think you can help me find my way, Luca; you’re crazy if you think you can change me.”

My eyes flickered across her face.

“I’m crazy,” I agreed. “I’m crazy because I don’t want to change you.”

“What are you saying?”

I watched as the ground approached, but I didn’t brace myself. I was going to die here, plummeting with the psycho whom I had been crazy enough to want to protect. And for the first time in a long time...

I was happy.


A heavy breath filled my chest, and I rolled onto my back. Unable to help myself, my eyes sought out Eliana’s sleeping figure.

She was snoring softly, unaware of the absolute hell she was causing me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love dream sequences because they don't have to make sense: they're dreams! Just in case there is any confusion, the random two spurts of darkness that Luca talked about was just his dream transitioning to something else, an erratic kind of thing.

Anyway, thanks for reading!
--Mira