Status: Please don't tell me how predictable or corny it is, i already know.

Losing To Family

Mikey

I make myself get up and head downstairs to the kitchen. I open the fridge and remember that I need to go to the store. I head back up the stairs to my room to get dressed.
I grab my keys and wallet on my way out the house. I’m dreading going back to the diner because that annoying boy will probably be there. He can’t run me out of the diner, though. That’s really the only place I’ve been to in the past year. I’ve noticed him before, but he’s never talked to me. Not like last night. I take a deep breath as I reach the door. I open the door and walk in.
Sure enough, the boy is there, with a big grin on his face, same as last night. I smile at him and take the same seat I had last night. I’m surprised that I get that seat, usually the place is full. The boy comes over and asks me what I want.
“How bout a menu??” I just want him to go away. But he doesn’t. He just pulls one out of his back, like he had one the whole time that was right there.
“Here you go. Thought you might need that. So….are you in a better mood today?” He still has that stupid grin on his face and I give him a mean look and he says “guess not. Are you gonna order anything, Ms. Meanie??” He starts to chuckle. That’s when I know I know him from somewhere. I used to hear that chuckle everywhere when I was younger. He looked familiar to me, but I never took it as something meaningful. Everyone looks familiar to me.
I order my lunch: the cheese sandwich with fries, a diet coke, and a chocolate shake. He walks away grinning still and just before he goes into the kitchen, he turns back around and stares at me. That’s when I know who he is. Michael. “Mikey”, as me and Her used to call him. Now I know why I don’t like him. Mikey used to stalk us all the time and one day he just came up to us and started saying these crazy things about Her. They were arguing back and forth, like some rap battle it seemed like, and then he pushed Her and she fell. I punched him in the face and told him to go away. She started crying and he tried to help her up and say he was sorry. I told him to go away and he ran off. I never saw him again…until now.
Anger starts to course threw my veins and I start breathing hard. It feels like someone took all my oxygen away. When I t couldn’t get any worse, he comes out with his smile and hands me my food. I try to get up as he puts down my food, but he stops me and asks me where I’m going. “I just came out with your food.” His grin turns to a straight face and concern.
This sends me over the edge and I push him out the way. “Move…..Mikey.” his face turns red and he runs away. I head for the door. I push the door as hard as I can, nearly breaking it, and start heading home.