One in a Million

New Year, Same Problem

Alyssa’s POV:

“He’s happier with Chloe and Andrea falling all over him.” I say on the first day of senior year. My life has just fallen to crap and I spent the rest of the year avoiding Zach and crying. I miss him so much.

“Why don’t you just talk to him?” Emma asks me. She and Michael are doing amazing of course.

“Yeah, maybe you could let him explain it and then you two could pick up where you left off at.” Jordan tells me. She and Cameron couldn’t be happier.

“He has two girls now.” Chloe and Andrea have gotten in five fights over him.

“And he doesn’t love either of them. Do you not understand how much he loves you, Lyssa? Think of the card he got you for your birthday.”

“He just said he really appreciates our friendship and if I ever need to talk, he’s there for me.” I tell them. It means absolutely nothing.

“It also said he misses what you two had. Lyssa, he still loves you!” Jordan yells at me and I really do want to believe her.

“I just can’t right now.” I tell them and head to first hour. Great, Zach’s here.

“Good morning.” He says with a smile.

“Hi.” I say. I don’t need him; we can be just friends and everything will be okay.

“Are you ready for our last year?” He asks me and I look at him.

“Yes, because I love school so much.” I say and he laughs so I do, too.

“You’ve always been funny, Lyssa.” He moves a piece of my hair back and I push his hand away. I’m falling for him all over again.

“Zach, we’re friends, remember?” I ask him and he blinks a couple of times.

“I remember, absolutely. We’re just friends.” He says and he takes a breath. Somebody still won’t give up. Make that both of us now.

“Good morning, everyone!” I turn around when I hear the voice.

“No.” Zach and I say at the same time.

“Hello, lovelies.” Andrea says and sits in front of me. “How are you two doing?” She asks and I grab my stuff.

“I’m sitting over here and neither of you follow me.” I say when I see Zach reach for his stuff. This is going to be a horrible year.

“Sorry I’m late, I was getting a schedule change.” Emma announces half an hour later.

“You’ve already missed half of the class. You’re lucky it’s the first day.” Our teacher tells her. Emma sits by me.

“You are a life saver.” I tell her and she smiles.

“Anything for my best friend.”

“Sorry, I had to get a schedule change.” Jordan yells and Cameron runs in after her.

“Let me guess, schedule change?” Mr. Robbins asks and they both sit near me. Cameron looks at Zach.

“You can sit by him; he is your friend.” I tell Cameron and he moves to save Zach from Andrea.

“This is going to be a great year.” Emma promises me.

“It will be as long as I have you both by my side.” I now have every class with both of my friends.

********************************