One in a Million

New Friendships

Zach’s POV:

“We’re engaged, Chloe. I told you I didn’t love you or Andrea.” I say when I see her. Why is she even here right now?

“Please don’t get into this right now. We need to talk to both girls and I guess you can stay, now, Zach. This kind of involves you.” Mrs. Thornton says and we all go sit. Chloe sits by two people and I guess they’re her parents.

“What is going on?” Lyssa asks and her parents look at her.

“Chloe got accepted to New York University like you did. If you two decide to accept then we’re all moving.” I squeeze Lyssa’s hand.

“I also got accepted to San Diego University which allows me to stay near Zach.” Lyssa says and her parents look at Chloe’s parents.

“Do we really want to be separated?” They ask.

“Yes.” Lyssa, Chloe, and I all say at the same time.

“But honestly, who ever said I was going to New York? Lys and I wanted to go there when we were kids. We’re older now and dreams change.” Who is this girl talking because it’s not Chloe?

“Where do you want to go?” Chloe’s parents ask.

“Honestly, I don’t want to go to college.”

“But you’re really smart.” I say and everyone looks at me. “Can I not call my fiancé’s cousin smart?” I ask.

“No, we just didn’t expect that from you.” Chloe’s mom, stepmom, says.

“She may have been horrible to me and part of the reason Lyssa hated me for so long, but she’s also the reason I got Lyssa back.”

“You knew I was planning it, didn’t you?” Chloe asks.

“I like to believe you had a plan.” I tell her and she hugs me which is really weird.

“Should I be worried about this?” Lyssa asks.

“No, it’s okay. I’m hugging my cousin’s fiancé.” Chloe says and she smiles.

“Chloe, I would be honored to have my cousin go to college with me.” Lyssa says and Chloe actually starts to cry.

“Are you sure? After everything I’ve done to you?” Chloe asks.

“We used to be close friends until you became too popular for me.” They hug and I smile.

“Well this is all beautiful, but if that’s going to happen Chloe needs to start enrolling because she’s about to miss a hundred deadlines.” Her parents drag her out.

“Now, let’s talk about this engagement thing.” Mr. Thornton says when the door shuts.

“Please, dad, we really do love each other. I trust him.” Lyssa says and I look at her.

“Are you sure?” I ask and she smiles.

“Yes, Zach, after everything we’ve been through. You are always the one to make me smile when we’re together. When we were apart I needed you but I couldn’t swallow my pride enough to tell you or I would see you with Chloe and Andrea.”

“You were jealous!” I yell and she rolls her eyes.

“Of course I was. Love makes you jealous.” She says and I kiss her. Her parents clear their throat.

“We tend to go in to our own world.” I say and they smile.

“Let them get married.” Her mom says and leaves the room.

*********************