One in a Million

Painful Memory

Zach’s POV:

I walk into school the next day and see Lyssa, Emma, and Jordan.

“Hey, Emma, Mikey’s really excited about taking you to the dance next week.” I tell her and she beams.

“He doesn’t have to be; I’m sure it’ll just be a dance then nothing after.” She says trying to act cool about it.

“No, I don’t think so, he really likes you after the short meeting you had yesterday.” It was weird seeing them there.

“Oh, yeah, that, I almost forgot about it.”

“No you didn’t.” Lyssa says, not letting Emma lie.

“And this is why I like you.” I tell Lyssa and she smiles.

“Don’t say that at school; this isn’t where I want to die with a goofy grin on my face.” Lyssa says and I laugh at her.

“You’re really funny, Lyssa.” I say and she blushes then covers her cheeks.

“Sorry about that.” I move her hands from her face making her blush even harder.

“Don’t be sorry; I think it’s really cute when you do that.” I tell her and she starts to relax a little more.

“Okay, you’re not the only two here. Stop before I puke.” Jordan announces. This is twice now that Lyssa and I have been in our own world.

“We need to stop doing this, Zach, not that I mind. I just don’t want to sicken my friends with whatever we have.” Lyssa jokes.

“Yeah, we probably should cool it down.” I agree with her and then put my arm around her. “Is this okay?” I ask her.

“Sure it is, we are friends. Who are going to homecoming.” She says and I’m not sure how she’s making me feel this way. I have never felt this way about anyone, not even Andrea.

“Yes we are.”

“Zach, what are you thinking about?” She asks me and her friends walk off. “I can tell you’re thinking about another girl because you’re acting like my uncle. He cheated on Chloe’s mom.”

“Oh, that’s terrible.” I say in shock.

“Don’t change the subject. Who is she?”

“My ex-girlfriend, Andrea. I was just thinking the way I feel for you isn’t how I’ve felt about anyone, not even Andrea.”

“That is so sweet. Tell me about her?” Lyssa asks and I go back to the night she left me.

*Flashback*

“I’m sorry, Zach, okay? I just can’t be here anymore and no one understands it.”

“No, Andie, don’t leave me.”

“Maybe it’s best if you stop with the nickname for now.” This is when my heart really shatters.

“Are you serious, Andrea?”

“Zach, always have faith, even if life tells you it’s wrong. If we are meant to be together then we’ll find our way back. Goodbye.”

*Real life*

“And then she got in her parent’s car to leave.” I finish and Lyssa just stares at me.

“Oh, wow, that’s a lot. And you were only freshman?”

“Yeah, we were. She wasn’t happy and just needed out I guess.” I tell her and it’s like my world is ending again.

“I will never do that to you. If we work out.” Lyssa tells me and it’s like my world is coming back together. She makes everything better.

“We will work out.” I promise her and I walk her to first hour.

****************************************