One in a Million

There It Is

Alyssa’s POV:

“Who was Zach talking to a couple of minutes ago? He looked really mad at her.” Jordan asks when the guys leave.

“I’m not sure; he said it was no one and I believe him. Zach wouldn’t lie to me this early.” I assure them and myself.

“Does he have any exes?” Emma asks me and I can’t believe they don’t trust him.

“Yeah, he does, and she moved away two years ago. She broke his heart after he really fell in love with her but he doesn’t love her anymore.” I tell them.

“Okay.” They both say.

“Are you going to tell us about her?” Emma asks me and I laugh.

“Her name’s Andrea and they dated his freshman year. He said they were really in love but then she just couldn’t handle something. She asked her parents if they could move away or something. I don’t see how anyone could leave Zach.”

“Wow, that’s a lot for anyone to go through.” Jordan says when I’m done talking.

“Yeah, I know, I feel bad for him but he told me he’s moved on and that’s what I’m going to believe. We all get our hearts broken eventually.”

“I wonder where the guys are.” Emma says changing the subject.

“I know, they’ve missed two songs. I’m sure they’re just being guys or something.” Jordan says as I look for them.

“They’ll be back eventually.” I say and we go back to dancing.

“Hey, sorry if I interrupted anything, I just thought I knew your boyfriend.” The girl that was talking to Zach walks up to me.

“He’s not my boy- it doesn’t matter. It’s cool, you didn’t interrupt anything.” I tell her and she smiles.

“Okay, good, you two seemed to be having a really good time.” This girl seems really nice.

“Are you new here or have I just not met everyone yet?” I ask her and she laughs.

“No, I’m new, well sort of. I lived here for 14 years then I moved away to Boston to get a fresh start and now I’m back here.” She smiles.

“Wow, what brought you back? Was it a job transfer or something?” I ask her. It must stink to always be moving.

“Uhm, no, there was just something pulling me back here. I guess you could even say I asked my parents to move back here.” I laugh but pieces are starting to fall in to place.

“Well it’s always nice to have more new people so I don’t feel left out.”

“What’s your story of moving?” She asks and Emma slaps me.

“Be careful, something seems off.” She whispers and I nod so she knows I get it.

“Just a warning, avoid three blonde girls. One of them is named Chloe and she’s my cousin. We moved because my uncle’s job transferred and my parents wanted to live with my mom’s brother.”

“Is Chloe mean?” This girl asks. Emma, Jordan, and I laugh.

“She’s beyond mean.” Jordan tells her.

“Her dad cheated on her mom then married the other woman.” I tell this girl. “I’m Alyssa, by the way.”

“Nice to meet you. I’m Andrea.” And there it is.

*******************************