Status: for The Magic is Music contest

Scream for Me

Stone Cold Crazy

I walked down a quiet bend and looked into a window. I saw my reflection in the glass, a faceless creature. In the moonlight the people inside danced in movements that reminded me of the muse. Liquor and watered-down beer circled the drain at my feet and impaired the rats beneath me in the sewers; my lifeblood. Though the dreamy waves caressed my mind I knew that this was reality.

Wailing children woke me and I heard the shouting of men and the cocking of metal. I shot out of bed and rolled onto the stone floor, hitting myself as I did. Pounding fists hit the door and raised me from my daze. I grabbed my effects and hauled myself out of the window, landing in the garbage heap and getting covered in flecks of things that used to be.

I ran, jumping over fences and running past homes in tornado-like speed. I was so familiar with the route it was as if I was playing an instrument and was bloody good at it too. Soon I reached the center of the hive of the city. People walked past me slowly, walking through their own daily grind like mice in a maze. I see figures passing me by. I freeze as one of them moves through me as if I wasn’t there. I looked at them closely. I wanted to scream as I saw the features in their eye but what scared me was they looked like mine. Their faces as white as snow, their lips as red as blood; they barely noticed me or the dark rivers running down their chests from the bullet holes. They just walked on as red splattered the pavement like rain and they didn’t even stop to look. As I pass people on the street I feel them move around me I smell the blood that it was running down their faces. I want to ask them if they can hear the screams but the voices tell me not to. Blood laps at my feet in the pool that is forming around me. My head started to pound I felt the need to run. Looking behind me, I saw them chasing me. I gotta get away.

The next morning I shot out of bed and felt as if I was invincible. I was the queen of the world and no one can touch me. As I got ready for the day I keep hearing that there was someone out for me. I brush it off. The rain pounding on the window made me want to run. Now I'm walking down this street seeing the blood, hearing the screams once again and I hear someone telling me to stop. I turn around. It’s him and I turn and I run. The chase is on they sound the alarm, letting the real screams tear like the red sea, I couldn’t out run them but I can’t go to heaven yet so they’ll put me in hell. As I felt the sting of sleep I have a feeling that they think I'm crazy.