Status: “They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself” -Andy Warhol.

The Warhol Complex

Lunette's Request

In a small town of New England, along the Atlantic Ocean’s coast, there stayed a happy family. Well, to their standards happy. A father and his most precious daughter. Though it wasn’t the traditional structure of a modern day family, they were happy just the same. The Copernicus family believed in many things. Many typical values that you would like to find in a household of two. Hard work, perseverance, love, respect, self sufficiency, faith, hope but most importantly, peace of mind. Mr. Copernicus and his daughter, Lunette, realized a long time of ago that no circumstance was in their hands. No one would ever be to control their future not even themselves. They are grateful for what they have and respectful to those who can help them. If anything stole their happiness for even a moment, they keep pressing on and try to find the meaning of it.

Mr. Copernicus worked for a train company. No, he wasn’t the conductor, or even an attendant. He sold tickets. Mr. Copernicus would never take a job that would require him travelling so much. He couldn’t afford to use his time like that. Not with his daughter at home. That would be selfish and dangerous. He worked in the same station that he had worked at all his life selling train tickets. He knew the business men and their destinations. He had stopped several run aways desperate to purchase a one way ticket. How selfish he thought. He saw many excited family members awaiting the arrival of a loved one. Mr. Copernicus worked a nice 4am to 3pm job. On the weekends he worked the night shift. A lovely 8pm to 5am shift. He worked hard, but he never felt like he did. He always wore a smile and picked up jobs no one else wanted. He was happy to do so. He wasn’t crazy or even selfish. You see, his daughter had severe battles with Lupus. It was a horrible disease that makes the body’s immune system attack itself. Everyday was a little bit different than the one before it. One day she could get up and maybe go to the mall like a normal 21 year old girl. Other days she was bent over in the bathroom crying or just simply couldn’t get out of bed. This was on Mr. Copernicus’ mind all day. He prayed for days that he could come home to a functioning daughter, but most days this was almost impossible to imagine anymore. He had sawdust colored hair, or what was left of it. He wore glasses on the end of his nose and was a fit older gentleman. If he had been given a hat and a pocket watch he could maybe even be mistaken for a conductor. He wore a smile everyday at work and all the way until he was home.



“Lunette?” he opened the door to their quaint two story house. It was deep in the woods; only about 20 miles from the city. He prayed it was a good night. He walked through the house and sighed when he didn’t see her up moving around the kitchen. Instead he set his things down and travelled up the stairs. He smiled hearing music. He walked into her room to see a beautiful 21 year old girl sitting up in bed with her computer in her lap. She had long wavy hair that was a much darker brown than his. She smiled up at him and patted the bed next to her. He wished she could run up and hug him but those days are over. He sat down where she requested.



“How was work? Did Mr. Anderson get to New York on time? Or did you keep him back talking about silliness.” She smiled and tucked some hair behind her ear. She had the personality of her father. She knew there was no reason to be angry about things. There was nothing she could do. There is nothing that anyone did to her. the universe chose this life for her and she decided years ago to just make the most of it. He nodded simply.



“He did, but I’m afraid that Miss Turnmire did not catch the first train to Virginia. I’m not entirely to blame for that.” He joked and rubbed her back and touched her cheek. He could tell by the roll of her eyes that she didn’t expect anything different “Enough of me. What have you discovered today? If I could get you to jeopardy I’m sure you’d will a million dollars.” He whispered.



“I found a new artist. I can’t pronounce his name, but he focuses on wildlife. Exotic wildlife, not just deer and common animals here. Like Zebras, tigers and lizards!!”



“Oh my!!” Her father added and tilted his glasses so he could read her screen better. He smiled seeing some of the man’s work. He scrolled down and then saw the wolf. He paused on the picture and then looked at her, “So a journey into nature. At least you are back on the earth. If I recall you were dancing on the rings of saturn?”



“It’d be more like jumping….it’s nothing more than debris orbiting the planet. The biggest lie that elementary teachers teach you. They make it sound like it is the biggest wedding band you’d ever seen. A never-ending race track! And I thought it was impossible for Miss Warner to lie.” She smirked and then shut her laptop. “Can I make you dinner, papa?”



“No, not tonight. Maybe this weekend. You look tired.”



“Do I ever look well rested? Come on, at least let me make some cookies.” she pleaded. He stared into her eyes and then smiled. He nodded and calmly they walked down stairs. Her excitement was bubbling, but the doctor told her the dangers of becoming overly excited. It was too much physical exertion. She could use that energy to do something meaningful or fun for herself. She held the railing tight and then finally hit the bottom step. She walked forward to the refrigerator. Living with this disease made her take special notice of how she used her energy. She hadn’t left bed except to take a shower so she thought she had a couple more hours of energy left in her. Living with this disease also made her figure out every short cut possible to save energy. One of them being pre made cookie dough. She pulled it out and started immediately on the cookies. Then there was a knock on the door. Lunette’s smiled picked up and she jogged to the door.



“Lunette!!” Her father called out. She froze. She couldn’t do anything more then walk or she would be asleep back in bed in a moment. She walked to the door and tried to calm herself down. She opened it and her wavy brown hair sliding over her shoulder as she walked forward to hug the person at the door.



“Answering the door now? Did you sleep all day, spoonie?” A man walked in and hugged her tightly and leaned down to kiss her cheek. Lunette nodded.



“I only got up once to take a shower and then looked at art the rest of the day.” She paused and then whispered, “Have you talked to my dad yet? Did you stop by the station?” The man shook his head and sighed but with a smile. 



“No, I didn’t have time this morning. I will ask him today.” Lunette looked at the man in a doubting glance but smiled and walked back in the kitchen. Mr Copernicus nodded in the direction of the man as he seasoned a chicken. The man took off his jacket and laid it across one of the kitchen table chairs and then rolled up his sleeves and walked over to help.



“Hey Will, I saw that Princeton sent their baseball team somewhere. Atlanta maybe?” the man named Will had picked up some potatoes laying out as if they were waiting for him. He started to clean them off. 



“Yah, left this morning for training season. It is still too cold up here for them” Will smiled as he picked up his second potato rubbing the dirt and grime off of it. Will was a third year at Princeton. He got there solely by his hard work. His field of study was Biology and Chemistry. When Lunette got sick so many years ago he would take her to her doctor’s appointments and talk with the doctors. His original task was to collect as much information as possible about his girlfriend’s new disease for her father as soon as he got off work. During all these hospital visits and usual check ups helped the young Will Benedict discover his interest in the area. When he was accepted into Princeton he knew exactly what path he would take.



He was a tall, lanky man. He looked like he might be a giraffe if he could transform into an animal. His long neck was hidden behind shaggy brown hair that was parted just outside his right eye. He and Lunette had been together for almost 5 years now. Will was with her about a year before she developed Lupus, but he vowed to her that nothing would stop him from loving her. That commitment brought him here, at the Copernicus house, almost every night. Sometimes he cooked dinner completely by himself or fixed a myriad of different things. Lunette hated being by herself and her father was committed to making sure there was enough money to make sure Lunette was always taken care of and hospitals were expensive. Will was happy to do as much as he could for the small Copernicus family. He was the most bitter of the three in the first months of the Lupus discovery. He was angry and upset, but together the three worked on finding peace in the midst of the situation. 



Dinner was cooked in a matter of moments. Chicken with vegetables. They could have nice dinners like this when Will was able to come over. Some nights he had to work or actually visit his own family, but 3-4 days out of the week he gladly spent with Lunette and her father in the evenings. 



“I am going into Newark and up into New York this weekend.” Will replied. “Lunette I will pick up your medicine before I leave, but is there anything else that you need?” He asked as he shoveled some potato wedges into his mouth and looked between the two. Mr. Copernicus leaned back as he chewed on a piece of chicken. 



“I’d like some things to go to the dry cleaners.” Mr. Copernicus looked at Lunette, “Anything you need?” Lunette was starting to feel exhausted already as she pushed a carrot around her plate. 



“I was thinking that it would be real lovely to get a pony. A pink one. That can sing to me.” Lunette looked at her father and then smiled at Will and finally guided the carrot to her mouth. Will smiled back at her and the nodded.



“I will do what I can, but remember it has to fit in my car. I can’t afford the horse and the trailer.” He winked at her and then his smile faded lightly as he watched her, “Why don’t you go ahead and go upstairs. I will be up there in a bit to say goodnight.” Will watched her smile and then slowly she disappeared upstairs and slid into bed resting her tired bones. Mr. Copernicus looked at his plate and then Will.



“Ok, cough it up, boy. What is it that she wants.” Will sat up straight and looked at Mr. Copernicus a little shocked. Mr. Copernicus put his fork down and then laughed. “What? You think because I am old and gone so much that I don’t keep up with her? I’m guess I know what it is already. She was looking at wildlife portraits today. I know it’s on her mind. It’s very rare that YOU dismiss her to bed unless you need to talk to me.” Will couldn’t help but smile lightly and he wiped his mouth off and then looked up at him. 



“You think we’d know better by now” He smiled and then nodded, “It’s the same thing. I was suppose to stop by the station this morning, but a professor held me up. I think she is starting to feel better and she has control of her flares more. It might work.” Will suggested with a hint of hope in his voice.



“She can’t leave the house, she hasn’t driven in 2 years.” 



“What if they came here? I’ve thought about it. If they came here once a week and just gave her something to practice. She would be thrilled.” He looked at the older man and then leaned forward, “Her birthday is close and I will help pay for it. It would be special for her. I will pay for all of it even. Just find someone you are comfortable with and I will pay them in advance for so many lessons” Will pleaded. Mr. Copernicus sat in silence. Silence that was so sharp it could have carved the chicken for them itself. Finally Mr. Copernicus smiled and nodded.



“This goes against everything that I feel is safe for her, but I will permit it. I will tell you when I have found someone. If she’s going to have art lessons, she’s got to have the best art tutor there is.” He whispered and then patted Will’s hand. “You always know what my little girl needs. Always respect her wishes.” He smiled, “I don’t know where we’d be without you some days.” Will shook his head. 



“I made her a promise and I don’t intend to break it now. I will always be here. Nowhere else I’d rather be….” He picked up his plate and then paused looking back at Lunette’s father, “Just don’t tell my mother I said that” he whispered and then winked at the older man and began to clean up when he felt a hand on his shoulder. 



“I will get this. You go tell her.” Will smiled widely and grabbed his backpack by the door and ran up the stairs. He walked in to her room but she was already asleep. He sat down in the chair next to her bed. Mr. Copernicus had bought it for him one Christmas. He sat down in it and rocked in the Lazy Boy type chair as he watched her sleep. He would tell her before he left the next morning. In the mean time he picked up one of his books and did his readings for tomorrow’s class.
♠ ♠ ♠
Subscribe, Rec, comment. Let me know what you think!!!! Worth continuing?

Disclaimer: I do not have Lupus but have known people with it. These character are of my own creation, but most were inspired by musical artists or youtube personalities. For more information on the characters check out their profiles