Status: “They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself” -Andy Warhol.

The Warhol Complex

Dark Connections

Will woke up the next morning and was able to tell Lunette goodbye. He drove just a bit back to Princeton from Trenton. He made it to his classes in plenty of time. Will was not one to just show up and get the class over. No. He was attentive and thorough in all of his lectures. He was at the top of his chemistry classes. He used Lunette as an example many times and talked about his knowledge of her medicine and the molecular break down. Biology wasn’t as natural for him, but he was always an A/B student. He was expected to graduate with top honors. He didn’t do much with the university outside of his classes due to his dedication to Lunette. Sometimes he didn’t mind, but sometimes he did. The only way to make it not sting as bad is to remind himself that in a year it will be gone and he wouldn’t be able to do those other activities anyway. Lunette would always be there for him. Will was a strong person and didn’t let things get to him too much. He couldn’t be a weak person and support Lunette at the same time. It was emotionally exhausting and nearly impossible for a man like Will.



He watched the clock. He knew he only had a certain window to get Lunette’s medicine. The last time he was late he was questioned by the police and had a gun pointed at his chest. If at all possible, he tried to avoid that experience again. If her father knew what went down every time he went to go get his daughter her medicine he would probably be very upset. Will didn’t care. He had a purpose to everything he did. The purpose for this risky adventure every month? Money.

Will got in his car and drove about 6 blocks from the university. He had done this hundreds of times but his heart always pounded within his chest. He stopped just short of the 5th block and parked. He slipped out of his nice looking sweater and button up shirt and threw on a black hoodie pulling the hood up. He changed his shoes and then grabbed his back pack and walked the rest of the way. Looking nice in these parts of town was like a billboard. If they even thought for a moment that he was one of Princeton’s best, they would be on top of you in a moment. Because where there is Princeton kids, there is money. Will knew that his road to Princeton was paved in scholarships, but the kids in this area didn’t know that. Will had maybe $1,000 to his name at most. Most was in savings. In case of an emergency, in case of a hospital bill, in case of anything. Will swallowed hard as he passed a group. They looked him up and down and realized he had nothing to offer than the next hobo. Will pressed on. He got to a boarded up pet store and turned the corner slipping into the alley right before it. He stepped in puddles and avoided glances and stares. Some of them smiled because they knew his story. The fact that he always came back gave them a sign of hope. Hope that they will make profit off Will’s purchase, and hope that his truest love was still fighting the spoonie life. Will pushed inside of the back door of the pet shop and walked through the towers of boxes that once acted as either a storage area or more likely a puppy mill breeding area. He made it to the back room where the aquariums used to sit.



“A day early?”



“I was in town and I thought I’d just get it over with. You know this area freaks me out. The sooner I can get it over with the better. I don’t belong around here, no offense.” 



The other person laughed and pointed to a drawer. “It’s already in there. We split it last week. Four weeks worth. We even threw in an extra day. We have a tiny surplus, but it’s not expected to last too long.” The other stood up and walked to Will. He wore his chestnut brown hair long and it was golden at the tips. His beard was wiry but cut short against his chin. His eyes that pierced anyone’s soul with an icy blue tint. Will swore they glowed sometimes. Will also noticed a tattoo looking mark on his hand. It was in the shape of a capital D. No one really knew what it meant. Jared claimed he was born with it. He said it was his proof that he was meant to be a dealer. Will wasn’t sure how much he believe it, but he knew Jared could afford more than just a D tattoo, so it had to have been a type of birthmark. The other had calm mannerisms and a soft voice. He resembled more of a hippie than he did a gangster, but Will knew better than to think he was that innocent, loving and free spirited. Will also knew that he was safe around the other. He wasn’t trigger happy or trying to prove a point to anyone. Will even doubted that this guy even had a gun. He knew for sure he didn’t keep girls in the back either like a grungy dealer might. He was just a guy trying to make it like anyone else born into this world and this is how he chose to do it. A dealer. 



“Hey Jared, I meant to ask you something.” Will pulled his hood down as he went to the drawer and pulled out a bottle that was marked “Lunette/ Lupus/ October”. Will slid the bottle in his backpack and then reached in his backpack to dish out some money. He always gave Jared a few extra bills if he had them. Jared did a lot for the Copernicus family and they didn’t even know his name in return. Jared turned his head as some of his locks fell over his shoulder.



“Yah?” 



“Hey….that new back medicine. You haven't been using it much right? I heard the death count is up to 20.”



“23 to be exact.” Jared said with a sigh. “The FDA will never approve it and with a number like that….I just can’t afford to bring it into my practice. I had one guy who asked me to get my hands on it and he takes it, but when his supply is gone, I’m not getting any more” Jared nodded. “However, if you hear anything on the new joint supplement let me know.” Jared walked over to a desk and pulled out a gel capsule. “kids are smearing this on their foreheads or behind their ears to get a pretty decent high. If I got the right deal we could have the new purple drank” Jared smiled and winked at him and then tucked it away. “I just want to make a profit, brother.” Jared whispered and then crossed his arms, “You are the closest thing I will get to the FDA itself….or even a true licensed doctor. So, please keep your ears open? If anything please keep them open so you can still get that discount.”



“I know….I don’t mind helping you with the legal drugs, but this illegal shit, man, you are playing with fire.” Will warned him and then leaned against a counter. “There are always reasons why the FDA doesn’t approve medicine.” 



“And there are really dangerous drugs that they do release. Some drugs just can’t compete with name brands. They know it! So why approve them for failure? Those are the shipments I can get cheap and help out all these guys.” Jared pleaded as he paced a little. Will nodded and smiled. 



“You always have my word. I just wish you were the robin hood of these thugs. Buying the expensive LEGAL drugs and passing them around. Like you do for Lunette. It would be safer. I’d be more eager to fight the cops and FDA than the goons outside your door.”



“You and me both.” Jared responded. They both looked up as a door opened. A slightly muscular man walked in. His hair was perfectly gelled straight up in the front and combed down on the sides. Will asked himself how the guy got in here looking like that without the thugs attacking a pretty boy. Will looked down at his shoes. The man waved at Jared and then travelled to another room of the pet shop. “Listen, I gotta help this guy. He’s got the old school Los Angeles S.W.A.G. things going on and contracted some not so lovely stuff. Because of how underground he is, he can’t really prance into a doctor’s office. So he found me and hopefully we can get rid of the number two killer of homosexuals.” Jared rolled his eyes.



“I’m assuming you are talking about Aids. What is number one then?” Will said confused trying to go over his lessons in disease history in his head. Jared laughed and started to walk into the other room.



“What is number one? Public humiliation.....from mismatched socks. Took out 4 last week in the Hills.” Jared winked and then Will watched as he greeted the other man with a hug. The mysterious man sat on a table and stared at the ceiling in exhaustion, fascination or disbelief. Will was never good with reading emotions. Will instead packed up his things and then slid the backpack on his back and walked out of the pet store’s back entrance like he came in. He passed a few of the street’s shadiest characters. In no time he was in his car and headed back to Trenton for dinner with Lunette and her father. 




++++



Mr. Copernicus had been at work all day as usual. When he wasn’t selling tickets from his big window inside the station he spent looking through the newspaper for the obvious, news, and also any advertisements for an art tutor looking for work. Sometimes He would put it down and convince himself that this was not a good idea. They would be inviting someone in the house. It would cost too much money. So many factors to think about. He looked at the framed picture he had on his desk next to his rolls of tickets. A sweet pre-lupus Lunette smiled back at him from behind the glass. He then thought about how much she meant to him. She was the only family he had left. No matter how much it scared him, she deserved this special treat. He closed the newspapers in desperation for an answer to this search, even though it was barley a day old. He looked at his computer a few times and then sighed. He wouldn’t even know where to start, even if he could figure out how to start it up.



He had mentioned to a few people what he was trying to do for Lunette and they were eager to give him numbers or places to check. One of his colleagues had even given him an extra art magazine that they no longer needed. He poured over them. His realization: if they were able to afford a magazine advertisement, they were probably far out of his price range. Part of him reasoned that it wouldn’t be money thrown away. The realistic side, that was always the reigning champion. Reality always won using the argument that Lunette’s flares were unpredictable and if something had happened and he couldn’t afford it, there were far worse consequences and decisions he would have to deal with. The thought made him sick at his stomach. So he did the smart choice and threw away the numbers that would lead him to a professional art instructor. He did his job in silence but always with a smile for the rest of the afternoon. He would start a new round of searching tomorrow.




It was just before Mr. Copernicus was to be off work when the crowd started to thin. He began to pack up as he was waiting for the clock to get to the next half hour. He could hear the faint low hum of a train engine as it was ready to take off. The 5:15 train was almost sold out and ready to depart the station. It was the last train that Mr. Copernicus would hear each day before he left his shift. Today though as he was packing up he heard running footsteps. 



“Mr.!!!! Mr.!!!!!! Can I get on that train?!” 



Mr. Copernicus looked up to see a long-haired, raven headed boy with pale skin come flying up to his window. He turned his whole body to him and scrambled to get the correct documents and he looked over a digital screen. 



“There are only 10 more seats. It’s leaving in 10 minutes. You can ride it, but it’s going to be a tight call.” Mr Copernicus fumbled through papers and got together a ticket for the other. He looked up and saw the man lay down a sketch book as he got out his wallet. Mr. Copernicus’ eyes grew twice the size. He looked up at the younger man. “Are you an artist?” 



“Yah I am, my art gallery show in the capital today went way over. I was suppose to be out of there half an hour ago. I guess I shouldn’t complain, I picked up new patrons.” he said and shelled out some bills for his ticket. Mr. Copernicus multi-tasked as he finished the sale. He was thankful that this job was second nature to him. It allowed him to give half his attention to the younger man. 



“Do you give lessons?” The raven haired man wiped some bangs out of his face and then looked at the other and smiled nervously. 



“Nah, just an artist. Went to Ithaca and now back home in Newark trying to make my way to the top, or as close as I can get.” He smiled at the older gentleman. “Why do you ask?” He said as he tucked his wallet away and collected his ticket. 



“I’m looking for a tutor for my daughter. She’s out of high school and she’s wanted to learn to paint and draw for decades and I’ve been to scared to let her do it.” he rubbed his hands on his jacket trying to dry off some of the sweat, “I’ve been pouring through ads all day. I haven’t found an artist I liked…or could afford. I was just wondering, sonny. Go ahead catch your train!” Mr. Copernicus waved and started to turn. The artist stood there and looked at the counter where he had just picked up his ticket and then raised a brow. 



“I might be available. Here.” He reached in the ticket booth and grabbed a piece of paper and pulled a pen out of his pocket and jotted down his name and number. “Give me a call tomorrow. Maybe we can work out some details. Thanks for the ticket. Hope to talk to you again soon.” Gerard gave a warm smiled and then turned on his heel and ran towards the low humming noise that Mr. Copernicus had been hearing for the past 20 minutes. He never saw the boy for the rest of his time at the station that night, so he assumed that the other had made it aboard just fine. He picked up the piece of paper and read it over and over. By the time he had driven home he almost had the number memorized.



“Gerard Thompson” written in hurried handwriting. “207 247 8923”
♠ ♠ ♠
There was a time that thought "Swag" was a Hollywood Acronym for "Secretly We are gay". Some LGBT circles utilize the term, but there is no historical evidence proving that this term was actually used.

Please keep reading, sharing, subscribing and sharing your opinions!!! Your feedback let's me know where I should focus my talents. If this story is doing well, then I will keep adding to it!

Thanks for reading!