Status: “They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself” -Andy Warhol.

The Warhol Complex

The Selection

Mr. Copernicus was the kind of man that you would absolutely love. He was sweet and charming, but when it came to his daughter he was a different man. He had suffered through heartbreak time and time again. He didn’t welcome strangers or strange situations quickly. The kid seemed nice enough. Successful enough to have a gallery in downtown. Mr. Copernicus laid awake four nights in a row going over his meeting with Gerard Thompson in his head. He analyzed every word. He analyzed every facial expression. He analyzed every action. Nothing jumped out at him to be suspicious. He accepted that this guy probably was just fine, but he wasn’t going to settle for his gut feeling.



He left the house that day and stopped to get a bagel like usual. He walked into his box office. He shared a few words with the man currently working about the weather and how busy the station had been in the past shift. Nothing more than small talk. As soon as the other left, Mr. Copernicus looked over the station with a curious glance. It wasn’t as busy now that the morning crew had gotten to work already. He knew that he had roughly 30 minutes before the next train was ready to be boarded. During his sleepless nights he had found a number for the art department at Ithaca. He dialed it quickly and switched the sign on his window to let passengers know of his inability to fulfill ticket purchases at the moment. he walked to the back part of the ticket box office and stared at the wall as he listened to it ring. 



“Hello, Ithaca Fine Arts department, this is Brandy”



“Brandy, hello, my name is Mr. Copernicus of Trenton New Jersey. I just recently ran into one of your alumni a few days ago. I was wanting to employ him as an art tutor and I was wondering if I could speak to someone about his reputation with the college and things” Mr. Copernicus pushed his glasses up on the bridge of his nose and smiled to himself pleasantly as he waited for an answer.



“We can not release information about his academic success here at Ithaca, but I can transfer you to one of his references. Did he list one of our professors or doctors on his resume?” 



“I’m afraid, I didn’t collect a resume from him. Surely there is a professor there that would remember Gerard Thompson and could pass on a few words to me.”



“Gerard?” She paused and you could hear a smiling tone in her voice from that point on. “I should not do this, but I will transfer you to someone who can give you some information about one of Ithaca’s finest.” Mr. Copernicus’ face lit up at her words. Finest. That was a compliment indeed. 



“That would be splendid. Thank you for your help.” Mr. Copernicus waited for a moment before he heard the line pick up again. A much rougher male voice came on the phone. 



“Hello, philosophy department.”



“I’m sorry. I think they connected me incorrectly. I was looking for an art professor. Terribly sorry.”



“Maybe I can help you. What is it that you are searching for?”



“I was looking for information on a Mr. Thompson.”



“Well I…..I…..Who do you say you need info on?”



“Gerard Thompson?” Mr. Copernicus looked at the window and saw just one person standing. He hated to make people wait at all. His shift was known as the quick shift. He turned to face the wall to get his mind off of the waiting customer. He heard another laugh and then the older gentleman about the same age as Mr. Copernicus cleared his throat.



“I can assist you. I can see why they transferred you to me. What is you would like to know Mr…..”



“Copernicus”



“Mr. Copernicus. What questions can I answer?”



“I…well…I don’t know if I have questions, but I just would like to know what he is like before I extend an official job offer.” Mr. Copernicus said a little nervously with a frail arm wrapped around his torso. 



“Some would call him lazy, some would call him hardworking. Some call him a punk, some think he is a professional. Do you mind if I ask what the job is for before I continue?”



“I would like to hire him as a private art tutor for my daughter.” There was a pause and then a breath came across the phone line.



“He is very good at his skill. One of the best artists I know, but I might be biased. I would like to think his technique would come across as impeccable to art enthusiasts everywhere.”



“I don’t mean to sound nosey or come off as bothersome, but I was hoping for more about his personality. I actually don’t care about his skill so much. If he can draw a recognizable bird, he would have the job in my book. In this situation I am taking into HEAVY consideration the candidates personality. It’s far more important to me as a father.” Mr. Copernicus said a little anxious. 



”Gerard is a quiet, very introverted soul. He can be mistaken for being a punk and up to no good, but in all the years I’ve known Gerard he has been honest and compassionate. He could never stand up and teach a class like I do. The pressure would get the best of him. Maybe over time he could get to that point. That is why he excels in art and not in my classes, Mr. Copernicus. Philosophy takes communication. You have to be able to observe, think and report. Art is usually, in most mediums, an activity that can be spent with massive amounts of alone time except for an occasional art gallery. Really any human interaction with someone he doesn’t know would freeze him in his stride.”



“He said he might be able to tutor. You are saying, however, that he doesn’t like strangers?”



“No one really understands Gerard sometimes. If he is up to it than let him! The kid has more passion than a member of PETA. If he sets his heart to it, he will make it happen. It’s when he is in an unfamiliar position that I have seen him kind of crawl back into his shell. If the passion is there then you will have everything else. He is very responsible and will put his best foot forward. If he looses the passion, it will be noticeable. You will know if it happens.” Mr. Copernicus smiled and nodded as he thought about everything he had heard. He seemed like a hardworking kid. Mr. Copernicus had heard everything that he needed to hear. Any other questions the professor wouldn’t be able to answer most likely. 



“I really appreciate your help. I think I’ve made a decision. He seems like a perfect fit for what I’m looking for. Thank you.” He smiled as he looked back at the window noticing three more people had lined up at his window.



“Mr Copernicus, I know that this may seem strange, but if you have any problems with the young Mr. Thompson, any at all, would you mind calling back the philosophy department? We like to keep tabs on former students.” He said a little bit quieter than he had been speaking before. 



“Who shall I wish to speak to?” 



“If I don’t answer, then tell someone it is about Gerard Thompson. He was a frequent student of mine. They will know where to direct the call. We are not a very big campus, Mr. Copernicus.”



“I will be sure to call then. Thank you for your help” With that the call ended and Mr. Copernicus left his thoughts with the phone until the line was taken care of. Every free moment he would go back to sit next to the phone and pour himself over the conversation he had had with the professor from Ithaca College. He was ready to make Lunette’s dreams come true.



++++++



“Will, did you know that Leonardo Da Vinci was planning on making a giant bronze horse? There were so many problems with his project but he worked really hard to overcome the problems. He even designed a special oven for the horse.” Lunette said as she looked up from the vegetables on her plate. 



“Where is it? Maybe we should try and go there one of these days.” Will smiled at her directing some cornbread to his mouth. He was pleasantly surprised by her level of energy tonight.



“He was never able to create it. He made the clay version to make the mold off of, but the Romans invaded and destroyed it before he could finish it. Another man tried to create it a couple of decades ago, but died of cancer before it could be finished. A group of men finally made it a reality just a few years ago, but I don’t know where it is. I fell asleep before I got that far.” She smiled and looked back down at the plate as if feeling guilty. Will reached next to him and rubbed her back smiling widely as he finished his mouthful. 



“My little spoonie; my little sleeping beauty” Will whispered. He looked up at Mr. Copernicus and winked. Will found out while he was cooking dinner that Lunette’s father had found a tutor. Will pulled his hand back and looked back at his plate, “Seems like the little princess can’t get art out of her mind, Mr. Copernicus. Any updates you would like to share?” Will smiled and looked at Lunette. Her eyes were directing laser beams into her roast. Will knew she never got her hopes up anymore. He wished she was just a little hopeful, but regardless he knew her mood would change in a few moments. Mr. Copernicus set his fork down and dabbed at his mouth and then looked up his daughter and took a deep breath and a slight smile crossed his face.



“Baby, I think… I have found you a tutor. I haven’t called and confirmed it. I wanted to run it by you first.” Mr. Copernicus smiled wider as his daughter’s face lit up. She looked across the table at him and held Will’s hand tightly at her side. She smiled and her eyes watered with joy. 



“Who is it?!” She demanded



“His name is Gerard Thompson. He was a student at Ithaca. He’s gotta be just a few years older than you, pumpkin. He looks like he could be a villain from a Grimm Brother’s fairytale with his dark hair and pale skin, but he was very friendly when I met him.” He paused and looked at her, “Being your father and always trying to protect you, I called Ithaca and tried to get as much info as possible about him. He is very good at what he does. He has a ton of skill and is passionate about art. When I met him at the station he was getting a ticket back to Newark from one of his own art shows. He doesn’t do well in large crowds but it’s just my daughter he has to worry about, so I think that shouldn’t be a problem.” He whispered with a smile and then looked down at his plate as he prepared another bite with his fork, “I’m going to call him tonight. If there is anything you want me to tell him, let me know now, so I can make sure he knows exactly what he is jumping into.” Mr. Copernicus said with a straight face. Lunette’s hands had covered her mouth in excitement. She wanted to jump up and hug her father, but her body was losing energy so she tried to show it on her face.



“Daddy, you have no idea how much this means to me.” She smiled and then looked at Will in excitement and then looked back at her father. “I don’t have any supplies…he might need to know that.” She smiled and looked at Will and then her father, “Maybe he should know I can’t go many places.” Her face started to sadden, “Maybe…well…it might be good for him to know that I can’t do things like regular people.” Will took her hand. 



“You aren’t going to go play soccer with Manchester United. You are picking up art lessons. Don’t limit yourself so quick. It will be just fine.” Will smiled and then sat back. Mr. Copernicus smiled and took the bite of food of is fork and nodded in satisfaction. 



“I will make the call after dinner.” Mr. Copernicus informed and then smiled as the three of them continued dinner talking about the new lessons and many other things. 



Lunette went to bed quickly after dinner. She ran out of energy quickly and a rash had appeared on her shoulder that worried Will. He treated the rash and then supplied her with her new medicine and then did his readings, as usual, in the chair next to her bed. When she was asleep and he had finished his homework for that evening, he got up and made his way down stairs. Mr. Copernicus was at the cleared off table staring at the little piece of paper. Will went and sat across from him and looked up at the older gentleman. 



“If you don’t call, I will. You got her this excited, you can’t back out now.” Will smiled. 



“I know that. I’m just thinking if there are any other rules or restrictions that I wan’t to set on this kid.” He chuckled and then shrugged, “I know he is a good match and she will enjoy it. I guess I’m just being a dad.” He shook his head, “I feel like I’m picking someone to be apart of our family.” He whispered and shrugged, “I’m overthinking it I suppose.” Will smiled at him and nodded. 



“A little bit.” He patted the man’s hand. “Just call him.” Will smiled and then stood up. “Do I need to stick around for emotional support?” Mr. Copernicus shook his head,



“Nah, go home, get some rest. I will call you in the morning and let you know the details.” He smiled and then pulled out his cell phone and placed it on the table. Will nodded and grabbed his backpack and made the drive back to his house only about 15 minutes away.



Mr. Copernicus sat there for a minute or two more thinking of what he was going to say. Soon he dialed the number. No going back now. 



“Hello, this is Gerard.” said a soft New Jersey accent.



“Hi, this is Mr. Copernicus, I was the man who asked you about being an art tutor for my daughter?”



“Yah, yah, yah. I remember.”



“Well I would like to go ahead and extend the opportunity to you. She’s very excited. I just have a couple of things to warn you about before you really choose to accept.”



“I’m still very interested. It sounds like a great way to further my career, earn some extra money and to share my passion.” Mr. Copernicus smiled at the other’s words. 



“That is fantastic. Here are some things to think about though. My daughter has Lupus and even though it doesn’t really limit her too much, leaving the house is a VERY big deal, so we would ask that lessons be conducted at our house in Trenton.” Gerard listened and nodded. 



“I’m sorry to hear about your daughter, but no, that should not be a problem. If there are any pieces that I would like for her to see, I can get a digital copy. There are plenty of amazing artists that have their own personal struggles.” 



“Good, also, There might be days we will have to cancel at a moment's notice. I apologize for any inconvenience. Due to her disease, she has good days and bad days. We will keep in close contact with you. I know it will be a drive for you….well or a train ride. I would hate to….”



“Don’t worry. If you called back I was going to research an apartment. I need to be closer to the capital anyway.”



“Wow, that would be great. Well, I guess as long as you are ok with all of that, the job is yours.” Mr. Copernicus smiled. “I know my Lunette will be happy. Shall we talk details of payment and other things?”



The rest of the conversation was talk of supplies and trading of information. By the time Mr. Copernicus had hung up he felt confident in his selection. Gerard only asked for $15 a lesson. It was a good price. For more reasonable than Mr. Copernicus originally figured up. Gerard accounted for the fact that he wasn’t a real tutor. Mr. Copernicus already figured he would give him a raise if things went well in 6 months. Mr. Copernicus walked up the stairs humming to himself and checked on his daughter. She was sound asleep. Seeing her peaceful face reminded him that he would do whatever it took to make his princess happy. This would be good for the whole family. A new hobby, a new face, a new distraction from their daily struggles. As he laid in bed he thought of what information he was going to pass on to Will tomorrow morning through the phone. He wasn’t a son-in-law yet, but Mr. Copernicus felt like he already was a member of the family. Without Will their lives would be completely different and Lunette’s dreams would not be happening. Mr. Copernicus closed his eyes and rested easy with a smile as he counted each of his blessings.