Status: “They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself” -Andy Warhol.

The Warhol Complex

Sleeping is my Specialty

The next day, Mr. Copernicus almost floated to work. He was so excited to watch his princess dive into her dream of becoming an artist. He got there moments before he was to take over for Mr. Helioman. He picked up the phone that he had spoke to Ithaca on and dialed Will’s number. 



“Hey! So how did it go???”



“Good morning, Will. It went flawlessly. We have everything sorted out We are good to go for Friday. He will becoming about 6pm. I figured I could prepare a dinner for him to get to know him. Then he can begin their first lesson. “ Mr. Copernicus chirped.



“Sounds great. Hey, are there any supplies that she needs? I kind of wanted to get them for her. Make sure they are perfect. I was going to stop by our art school.” Will paused nervously, gripping his phone and looking back over his shoulder at a window that showed an art class in session. He turned back around and looked at the pavement as he sat on a bench outside of the building. “Actually, I took the liberty of securing a couple of items already, but I didn’t know how much I needed.” He heard Mr. Copernicus chuckle.



“My boy, you are a very thoughtful one. She needs brushes, a sketch book, pencils and some acrylics for right now. He said he can either provide everything else or we can wait. Thank you.” Will smiled hearing the older man’s voice and nodded.



“I’m happy to do it, sir. It brings just as much joy to me as it does you. I will see you tonight.” The conversation ended after that and Will got up off the bench and circled back to the large stone building. Will walked in with all of the confidence of gladiator. He ran up a flight of stairs and then smiled seeing the supply room. It was small but it was perfect. A blonde was working at the time stocking up on some new oils. Will smiled and looked at her and then tapped her on the shoulder, “I’m back….”



“I can clearly see that……what do you need now?? I thought the pencils and charcoal would scare you off enough.”



“Not hardly….I need like a collection of acrylics and some brushes. The best you have.” The blonde turned and went to a different shelf and pulled off 8 different bottles of acrylic paints. Once for each color of the rainbow and then some black and white.



“Whatever she doesn’t have she can easily make by mixing colors. Her Ithaca man can help her figure that out. Do you need canvases? Or is Ithaca man more into flesh canvases?” She smirked and let out a laugh, “Many Ithaca artists are a little freaky like that.” Will shook his head, 



“Would you stop that….It wasn’t on the list so we don’t need it right now. I might come and get some next week or something. Now some brushes, if you wouldn’t mind so I can get out of this place….” Will had his wallet in his hand and then looked at the girl. The girl shot him a glance back and looked over the supply room and then paused in front of their collection of brushes and then she turned her head downward and slightly to the left. She stared at a box for a moment and then turned to look at him. She smiled and tilted her head to the side.



“Well, I have our supply stock room best…..or I have our university’s best. It comes with a price though. Not one that can really be brought with money.” She smiled and puffed her chest out a little and then pressed him against the wall and let her body sink against his as she ran a hand around his neck, “Spend a few minutes here with me and I will let you have them without opening your wallet.” Will took no time pushing her off. He watched as she struggled to gain balance on her heels. She pulled her skirt's hem down and tried to gain her composure again. She waved her blond hair over her shoulder and stood straight. “Fine….you deny that method of payment….I have one more request. If you don’t like this, then you will have to walk out with the bagged brushes we have.” 



“What is so damn special about the box that you are willing to act like a whore for anyway?” Will said completely disgusted now. 



“In that box, lays a set of brushes that are from the Silver Brush studios. Made of camel and ox hair. They are 25 years old and have been used to paint the portraits of our last three presidents of our university. They are not to be used by anyone but the artist himself. However, there has been talk that they will be buying a newer modern set. So, I’m sure they won’t mind them going missing, after all, when you move brushes like these from the president’s office to the supply room. You know they are losing love.”



“Can’t I get arrested for this, Connie?” 



“No….people steal out of here all the time. The university knows that as well. It was bound to happen that these go missing too.” Connie smiled and then looked at him, “So….are you interested?”



“What will it cost me? If it involves physical interaction, I’m out.”



“No….You see, I’ve been missing my creative flow. My sugar ran out of his goods. If you could find me these two pick me ups I would be very grateful and let you steal the brushes.” She took out a piece of paper and jotted down two names for what Will assumed were drugs. He looked at it and took a deep breath. He was sure Jared could get him through this. He took the paper and then without a word pulled out the money for the acrylics and laid it on the counter before scooping up the paints in his arm. When he got to the car he slipped the paints into the same bag that the pencils were in that he purchased earlier. He slipped it into his backpack. He saw something catch the sun and shine back at him. He paused and pulled out the sketchpad. On the front “Lunette Copernicus” was engraved on a silver plaque. He had been holding this sketchbook for awhile. He had been waiting for the perfect time to pass it over to her. Tomorrow would be the day. Will slid it in his backpack carefully and then closed the backdoor and climbed into the drivers seat. Once again he drove a few blocks over and then changed his clothes and prepared himself for his descent into the ugly streets of Princeton. He walked past the same people and into the pet shop where Jared would hide. He walked in and saw Jared sitting in a recliner. He was talking to a couple of men. Jared turned his head and his icy blue eyes stared at Will. He smiled quickly and stood up. The other men sat still. 



“Is this a bad time?” Will asked pulling the piece of paper out. 



“No, not at all. Is there a problem? I’m glad to see you, but I guess I just wasn’t expecting you, bro.” Jared said smiling putting a hand on the other’s shoulder. Before he could say much Will handed him the paper. Jared took it and looked at the street names of the two drugs. “Dude, don’t take this wrong, but I can’t fill this. You are too good of a guy to be getting wrapped up in this. With Lunette and all……” Jared handed the paper back.



“It’s not for me. It’s a long story, but if I can get this for a girl she’s going to trade me for something very special for my girl. Just this one time, I promise, it’s not for me.” Will said and sighed. He just wanted to get this over with. Jared looked at him concerned and then turned slowly.



“One of these is a type of heroin…. She must be some high class shit to be picking this stuff up. The other is just a laced marijuana.” Jared said. He got out a small baggy pulling out the marijuana first and sealing the bag off and laying it on the table in front of Will. He walked into another room and grabbed a very small container and came walking back. “Brother, don’t get caught with this stuff on you. Get rid of it quick.” He whispered and packed it safely before handing over the bag to Will. “I gave you all I have of the heroin. It’s not even the exact stuff, but it’s just a little different. She won’t know, but her body will very, quietly thank me. I don’t sell that Ace stuff.” Jared said and shook his head.



“Great, I appreciate your help. How much?” Will said worried about the price. 



“Bro, I’m gonna take 100 off just cause I like you. I will settle for 80. You helped me get rid of it and you can save your dollars for your usual.” Jared whispered and then looked back at the men who were staring at him disapprovingly. Will thanked Jared and quickly left heading back to the school of art and grabbed the box from the girl. His heart maintained a normal pace as he walked out go to his car. Tonight he was staying home and tomorrow he would go to Lunette’s for her first lesson. He spent his night studying as usual and then wrapping and observing each of her new art supplies including the perfectly bristled brushes. 



++++++++++




The day was here. Lunette had gotten up and was brushing her hair over and over again. Today she wore some skinny jeans that used to be her favorite in high school. She had one some peach ballet flats. She wore a pale yellow button up shirt with a collar. After the brush fell through her hair one last time she slid a peach colored bow into the side of her brown curls. She looked in the mirror and smiled. She felt so dressed up. She heard a knock on her door. She turned a little surprised and relaxed when she saw it was Will.



“How long have you been standing there?” She blushed. He smiled and walked in with his hands behind his back.

“What is the longest I can say without it being creepy?” He replied and moved past her to sit on the bed. “I got you something….come sit down.” He smiled and then bit his lip excitedly. She sat down and crossed her legs with her small delicate pale hands crossed in her lap. She smiled up at him excitedly as he pulled out a bag and then two wrapped presents. She opened the bag and found paints. 



“Hmm…I could paint everything with these. Thanks, love. I can’t wait to try them. Oh and pencils? Already sharpened? You shouldn’t have!” She giggled and leaned over kissing him softly against his lips before picking up a long rectangular package. She pulled away the wrapping and then revealed the box. She pulled back the rest of the wrapping and slid the top off the box. He was so nervous as he thought back to getting those drugs from Jared or being pressed up against the wall by another woman. She opened the box and pulled out the brushes slowly and looked over them and felt over the bristles. 



“They aren’t new, but they are very special. They were used to paint the three last portraits of the presidents of Princeton. They are pushing 25 years old. I was hoping their experience and wisdom could help you.” He watched as she listened with a smile and pretended to paint on his hand and on the leg of the jeans. They looked older than 25. She pretended they were found in attic in Ancient Rome. She examined them and then looked closer.



“Camel hair…..and……horse hair?” 



“Not horse. Ox hair.” He corrected her and then smiled. She looked up at him and hugged him tightly kissing over his lips and then sat back and picked up the last package. 



“Baby, you are too kind.” She whispered and then peeled back the wrapping until she saw the name plate. Lunette’s mouth dropped as she opened up the sketch pad and felt over the large, rough pages. She bit her lip and then traced the engraving with her finger. She felt tears fall silently. She wiped at them and then slid into Will’s lap and kissed him deeply before laying her head on his shoulder, “Thank you for always making my dreams come true. Whether it be love, helping me graduate, or some silly art supplies.” She sniffled and held tighter “It all is perfect. Even if I wasn’t getting lessons, I could play and pretend I’m making my own Mona Lisa” She whispered and closed her eyes as he began to rub her back. 



“I would do anything for you. Follow you wherever. Experience every emotion. Nothing will ever make me stop loving you.” He brushed the back of her hair down as he whispered into her hear. He believed in her when her girlfriends didn’t. He was there when her teachers said she would never be able to finish high school because she was so behind on her work from all the hospital visits. He knew that she realized how much he did for her. He just never wanted her to doubt his continued faithfulness to her. He kissed her shoulder when the door opened. Mr. Copernicus smiled seeing the presents laying out and wrapping paper littering the floor. 



“I see we had an artists’ Christmas!” he laughed. “Gerard should be here any minute. Will, can you help me serve drinks?” The two nodded back and Lunette stood up and cleaned up her room before walking downstairs. Her hand was firmly gripping her boyfriend’s. She smiled and then sat down in her padded chair and watched them with pure love in her heart for the two men. They were making her dream a reality in the most beautiful way. She watched as Will was quick about pouring some tea and water. Her father was putting the final touches on a beautiful pasta dish. She smiled and looked at the spoon sitting on the table. She picked it up and examined it as she waited. It was a symbol of strength; a symbol of energy. No one would know unless they had Lupus as well as to how much it meant to her. Will came back and set a glass in front of her and her father’s spot and smiled kissing her head, “You ok, spoonie?? Are you running out?” 



“No.” She looked up at him and smiled, “I’ve been saving them all day.” She smiled and sipped her tea as Will laid out the rest of the drinks. Right as Will was actually going to sit down and wait there was a knock at the door. Lunette’s eyes and ears pricked in the direction of the door like a doe. She looked back at her father and smiled as he gingerly headed towards the door. Will stood next to his girlfriend with a hand on her shoulder. Will would be lying if he said the idea of the next few moments didn’t startle him. Mr. Copernicus happily shook hands with the artist before he was even in Will’s sight. Then stepped in a pale looking man. His chin length black hair fell parted over one eye until he shook his head so now both eyes were visible. He worked a black leather coat and smiled. He stood close to the older man as they walked back towards the kitchen. Will raised his eye brows and was quick to walk forward and extend his hand.



“Welcome. I am Will Benedict. The boyfriend” Will said as he watched the pale hand grasp his. A slight crooked smile came across the artist as he shook it. 



“I hope you don’t introduce yourself like that every time.” He smiled and took his hand off the other's shoulder. “Gerard Thompson. The tutor” Lunette had been watching him like her biggest idol had just walked into the room. Gerard’s attention turned to her when he heard the faint giggle. He smiled widely and kneeled in front of the younger girl. “I’ve heard a lot about you, Lunette. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.” He offered out his hand. Moments later she rested her small hand in his. Her skin almost as equally pale. He turned it and kissed the back. She blushed and looked to the side. Gerard stood up and looked at Mr. Copernicus. “All of the rumors you spread were true about your daughter. Very kind and very gentle.” Gerard looked down at Lunette. 



“Thank you. Now, would you care for some dinner?” Mr. Copernicus called out. Gerard nodded and in a matter of moments they were all sitting down to a simple but beautiful meal. The conversation was simple at start but then once everyone felt comfortable it was quite an engaging conversation.



“How did you end up at Ithaca?” Lunette asked, “It’s in New York….I’ve always wanted to travel there. Maybe one day.” She whispered softly. 



“Scholarships. I started illustrating things in high school. Someone caught on to me quick and I entered several competitions. Prize money went to a college fund. I entered contests for scholarships too. I even sculpted a pig out of clay once and got a $500 scholarship.” Gerard laughed. “College wasn’t a big deal in my family, but I knew I could never chase my dream without it. So I was desperate to find help.”



“Will goes to school on scholarships too. He applied and got them all! Has all of his schooling paid off.” Lunette reached under the table for his hand and smiled widely at him. Will shook his head and moved a carrot to the side of his plate not even bothering to look up. 



“Not all of it, but I was blessed.” Will responded. 



“Where do you go to school, Benedict?” Gerard’s relaxed conversation made Will a little uneasy at times, but he tried not to respond to his feelings so much. He looked up and shook his head wishing he could avoid the conversation. It was always awkward to compare collegiate level schools. Mostly because Will always won.



“Princeton. I’m a biology/chemistry major. Wanting to go into the medical field” He said and then finished eating. Gerard leaned back in his chair and nodded and smiled looking back at Lunette. 



“That’s impressive! Congratulations. Don’t be ashamed of it. You must have worked really hard.” Gerard smiled and then looked up at Lunette. “I’m sure you are very excited for your boyfriend’s future.” Gerard replied setting down his fork. Lunette looked at Will with a smile and gave his hand a squeeze. 



“Everyday.” She whispered and then closed her eyes as Will leaned over and kissed her forehead quickly as a thank you. She smiled and let go of his hand. She looked up at Gerard and then started to get up, “Here…..let me take your plate and I can…..” Will jumped up quickly and did the job for Lunette without a word. Mr. Copernicus and Will were used to jumping in when Lunette got a crazy idea like wasting her energy on cleaning or doing something Will and Mr. Copernicus were fully capable of doing.



“Thanks?” Gerard smiled and was a little confused as to why Will so rudely interrupted her kind gesture. Lunette didn’t seem offended. She smiled at Will and her father who had now gotten up to help Will as well. Lunette smiled at Gerard. 



“Do you care for black berries? Will makes a good cobbler. We pick them during the summer and then freeze them.” Lunette said almost giddy. Her happiness was contagious. Gerard smiled just as brightly and looked at her.



“I’d love a piece.” He nodded. Lunette smiled even brighter and then looked at her father and requested dessert for their guest all through her eyes and smile. Her father smiled back and was thrilled with how well things were going. In a matter of moments cobbler was served. 



“Will, man, this is fantastic.” Gerard smiled. “Mr. Copernicus, do you have a special dessert yourself?”



“My speciality lies in the main course. I leave the dessert to Will. One day, we are hoping the little girl’s speciality will be decorating and designing.” Mr. Copernicus said looking at his daughter with all of the love in the world. 



“Right now my speciality is sleeping.” Lunette said with a smile. Will couldn’t help but giggle at the reality of the statement. Gerard watched their reactions. Her father explained parts of Lupus but not all of it, he didn’t want to offend anyone so he smiled and politely nodded. She was so happy and open with her life. He thought of himself dumb as to expect her to be shy and very introverted. Instead she seemed to be thirsty for social interactions. He smiled and took the last final bites of his cobbler.



“Without sleepers….we wouldn’t have dreamers.” Gerard replied offering a smile. The girl looked up and paused and a smile grew. She sighed happily and then looked back at him shaking her head. 



“I….I guess you are right.” Lunette thought about more and then bit her lip blushing. “My speciality is dreaming.” She smiled and looked up at him. 



“Indeed it is.” Will responded and rubbed her back looking down at her happily. The moment was sweet but all the insecurities that Will had in high school were back. He never thought about it until now, but there was a sense of security with Lunette always being home. He knew that males couldn’t get to her there. Well now there was a new male in the house. Some of those feelings crept back. Will kept them in check as often as possible. Dessert was cleaned up and then soon Lunette and Gerard were sitting alone at the table. Lunette had opened her sketch pad and took out one of her pencils and smiled as she watched Gerard jumble through his bag. Will sat not far from the table in an arm chair. By just turning his head to the left he could see the back of Gerard. He could also see Mr. Copernicus cleaning off the dishes. He tried to read, but he caught himself staring at the pictures so he could focus on the conversation exchanged back and forth. 



“Finally…..that damn pencil.” He whispered and looked up at Lunette who was staring into the blank page like it was an abyss. “Is that dreamer imagining designs already?” Gerard smiled, “That isn’t until the 5 lesson” He added, but soon their eyes caught each other. She shook her head and looked back at the page. Gerard showed her how to form shapes to capture the overall shape of an object. For a piano draw a rectangle, for a face draw a circle, for a glass draw a pillar. 



“Does the box stay there the whole time?” She asked as she looked at the random shapes on her sketchpad.” 



“For now. Let the details come to life on the inside of your boundaries. Helps with planning your masterpiece” Gerard smiled and then shook his head, “Eventually you will get to the point where you don’t need that stuff. Let’s just focus on one item at a time. Just cut down the box little by little by forming little shapes. So go back to our piano. Draw two big pillars to form the legs. Draw another rectangle to form the body. Yah….” He said as he watched her follow his instructions. This carried on for about two hours. Mr. Copernicus would come over to watch every few minutes and smiled as he watched her try so hard to please her new tutor.



“Hey, that might actually pass for a piano!” She said putting the pencil down and then tucking some hair behind her ear. She smiled and looked for Gerard’s approval. “What do you think? Will I be ready for shading soon?” Gerard laughed and looked between his sketchbook and hers. He nodded. Her angles weren’t as tight as his, but without a doubt she’d get there. After all, the sketch did indeed look like the piano they were aiming for.



“I think that lesson is right around the corner.” he smiled. “Now, though, there are a couple of things I want you to do the next couple days. I want you to do 5 more drawing of a variety of objects, no people yet.” he paused and turned to talk to her, “Do it at different times of the day. Everyone has a time of the day that suits them much better. I don’t draw well in the mornings at all.” He smiled and shrugged. “I will be back soon to finish up the sketching lesson. The more you practice the more we will get to in the next lesson. Be ready.” He smiled and began to pack up his stuff. Lunette looked at her drawings and then watched as he put things away. She almost felt a disappointment that the lesson didn’t last 3 or 4 hours. She smiled though and sat quietly. By this time Will stood up and watched the other man pack up. He looked to the left of him and saw a very tired Lunette who was smiling from ear to ear. “If you need me, have your dad give you my number. I’m always accessible.” Gerard smiled and stepped back from the table. Lunette stood up and used the table for assistance as her legs grew tired. 



“Thank you, I will take advantage of it at some point” She walked forward and without thinking threw her arms around the black haired man and hugged him tightly. Gerard was surprised but smiled and rubbed her back as they hugged. 



“I hope you do.” he whispered and then the hug broke and he smiled down at her. Gerard smiled and started to back up, “I will see you in a couple of days, Lunette. Nice work today.” he smiled and then turned to Will and shook his hand. “It was nice to meet you. What an honor to be apart of such a sweet family. The sketchbook you picked out is perfect by the way.” Gerard smiled as he shook Will’s hand. Will smiled and then nodded.



“Thanks. I tried my best. I know Lunette is very excited about these lessons. I appreciate your willingness to work under these circumstances.” Will smiled and nodded. Gerard shrugged. 



“I can’t wait to come over again.” Gerard smiled, “It’s my pleasure, seriously” Gerard’s New Jersey accent slipped out a bit as he then pressed forward to Mr. Copernicus at the door. Gerard shook his hand. “Wonderful dinner, wonderful daughter.” He whispered. “This has been a real joy. Please. I don’t need payment for today.” Gerard whispered and then shook hands with Lunette’s father and then smiled one last time, “I will see you in a few days.” He smiled and then turned one last time to wave before stepping out to his car. 



Mr. Copernicus shut the door and looked back at his daughter. She was smiling but leaning against the table. She called for Will. Mr. Copernicus walked closer and smiled as the almost 6 foot man picked her up in his arms and carried her up to her bedroom. Her father busied himself with putting her supplies away until tomorrow morning. 



“I loved it, Will.” Lunette whispered as she was laid down onto the bed. He smiled and sat on the edge and leaned down kissing her softly. 



“I’m glad. You did wonderful. It was nice to see you so immersed, and so happy” He smiled and took out her hair bow and placed it next to the bed. He helped her slip her shoes off and smiled as he looked back at her. “I’m proud of you. Now, I’m sure all of your spoons are gone and maybe part of tomorrow’s knowing you. Do you need to get undressed spoonie?” Will asked softly. 



“I’m too tired….maybe just my jeans.” Will helped her slip out of her jeans and into some shorts. He smiled and then brushed her hair back. “Sleep, Lunette. I will spend the night tonight.” He whispered. “I don’t have class until noon so I can make breakfast.” Lunette smiled back at him and soon her eyes were closed but not before she could reach out and take her boyfriend’s hand. Lunette fell into dreamland in record time. Will stayed and held her hand and soothingly stroked it with his thumb before finally laying down next to her and drifting off into dreamland himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this chapter is so delayed!!! Let me know what you think!!!! We meet another new character in the next chapter! Very excited. Your feedback keeps this story going!