Status: “They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself” -Andy Warhol.

The Warhol Complex

Better than Voss


“I’m here to collect my princess” Hunter called in as he shut the door behind him walking further into the Copernicus house. He searched the space in front of him as he closed the door. Soon a girl with soft dark curls descended down the steps. She wore a peach colored shirt with yellow accents. Her jeans were well fitting and she had a glow about her. 



“I only used 3 spoons on my outfit. You have roughly about 25 spoons left. Let’s make it happen.” She smiled and strolled next to his side. He kissed her forehead and soon they were in the car and down at the pier. To the right was a huge ship yard. Lunette took a deep breath trying to harness her excitement. So many people walked and skipped around the salty boardwalk. She sighed and leaned back and watch in envy. Hunter looked over at her, but had no words for her at the moment. He knew what she was thinking. He found the closest parking spot and then jumped out of the car. He helped her out of the car. They perambulated through the people. Lunette stayed close and commented about a few of the stores and ships. Finally they disappeared through the sails of nearby boats and they headed toward a small dark restaurant. It was lit up with small lights and glowing tiki lights. Hunter and Lunette snuck in to the potential thievery happening place. They were guided to their seats. Lunette looked out the window and sat very still as she looked over the menu and then focused her eyes out of the window.



“What are you thinking about, Lunie?” Hunter whispered sipping his water and placing his chin on his index finger and leaning against it slightly.



“I’d like to travel over there sometime. Over to England or France.” 



“Maybe you will. After you and Will get married you could have a honeymoon over there. Don’t limit yourself so much.”



“I’ve heard travel is exhausting. Easily 10 spoons for just a plane ride. Another 20 trying to get through the airport and to your hotel.” Lunette laughed and looked at Hunter. “I would have to be carried everywhere.”



“Have Will get a wheelchair and a pillow. That should solve everything.” Hunter teased. 



“If only it could.” She smiled, “Until then I will have Gerard teach me how to draw the Eiffel tower”



“I can’t wait to meet him. He sounds delicious.” Hunter smiled wiggled his brow. 



“He’s nice looking. He will be back in a few days. You should come over and meet him. Will and dad made dinner for us the last time he was over. You should come for dinner too. Lunette’s eyes lit up as she shut her menu. Hunter contemplated the idea and nodded. 



“I think I might. As long as I will be able to find something on the plate that I can eat. None of the deep fried stuff.” Hunter smiled watching Lunette laugh. She shook her head and reached out and took his hand.



“We will un-country-fy anything we cook for your sake.” He smiled and nodded.



“Perfect, count me in” After they exchanged conversation the waitress came out. Lunette got her favorite salmon dish and Hunter ordered his beloved shrimp and rice platter. They shared light conversation until the food arrived. Lunette looked up as she took a bite of her food.



“Hunter, so tell me what you have really been up to. It sounds silly, but I miss those crazy things you would put on twitter or the selfies on instagram. What is going on under all that perfect hair.” Hunter stopped eating and looked up at her and shrugged trying to play it off, but he knew Lunette would see through it. So he paused and then put his fork down.



“As much as I like this guy, I’m just hesitant, Lunie. I mean the man is better than Voss. You know me….that is really saying something.” he paused and watched a smile come to her lips. “What if I’m not ready for a real relationship yet. I keep waiting and waiting thinking that I will mature and I will know it’s the right time, that I’m brave enough now.” He paused. “I keep questioning it so much, I don’t think I’m ready yet.” He looked at her with suspicion. 



“Hunter, you always have had a more reserved side when it came to sharing yourself with people. You are scared of being hurt. You are scared of being left out. You only like to put yourself out there when you know that you will be safe. Right now, you don’t know if this is safe. So you are scared.” Lunette whispered. “I can’t imagine being in your shoes. You are already 10 times of a braver person than I am.” Lunette smiled and moved a piece of hair out of her own eyes. “Your heart is telling you something about this….Derek?”



“Declan.” He politely corrected her. 



“Declan, guy…Give him a chance. If things don’t work you better believe that Will and I will be right here for you. Obviously your heart is saying something to you about him. Take a chance.” Lunette whispered and then smiled as their food was soon delivered. She sat back and kindly thanked the waiter before switching her glances up at Hunter.



“I know. I will do my best. I know you keep telling me to put myself out there. I want you to know I am trying my damn best. Maybe Declan is the one. Maybe I am freaking out over nothing. Being a gay boy is hard. Especially when you have no family left to support you.” Lunette shook her head as she picked up her knife. 



“You have my whole family. Myself, Will, my father.” She whispered. "My dad will give you way I will be your maid of honor. Will will….well… he will probably just be in the front row.” Lunette laughed and loved seeing Hunter’s face glow. “Promise me you will lighten up a bit?” she smiled and then popped a bite of food in her mouth. She smiled confidently as he nodded and stared at his food. He looked up at her and his eyes were shining. They had a new light as if to announce that he had confidence and he was ready to enter this world all over again and partake in all it’s glory. They finished their meal and talked about people from high school and all sorts of small town New Jersey gossip. 



Shortly after, the two left and Hunter took Lunette straight home. He hated for her to stay out longer than her body requested. He made sure she was back safely inside of the house. As soon as Hunter opened the door, Will was there to greet them. Will and Hunter talked briefly about the restaurant and Will’s schooling. Hunter had dropped out of college and was just working. He was being bullied too much at the local college, and he just decided it wasn’t worth it. He could make it by without the education. Soon Hunter was on his way home. He drove to his apartment’s parking lot. He got out of his car and sighed happily as his boat style shoes touched the concrete. Immediately, a list of things he would like to get done before he showered tonight floated through his head. He stretched his long legs before closing his door. He pressed the lock button creating a beeping noise. As soon as Hunter went to blindly reach for the door another hand beat him to it. 



“I’m sorry I didn’t see……” he turned around to thank the person when he froze. “Oh, I umm…didn’t see you there. Thank you.” Hunter blushed and walked inside as the other held open the door. Hunter paused and waited for the other male to follow in behind him. “Did you have a nice day?” Hunter said a little panicked. His palms were sweaty as he held his phone tightly and focused on each step his feet were taking. 



“Yah, I worked out a lot. Ran some errands. Nothing too exciting.” The other man said plainly as they both scaled the stairs. “You?” Hunter froze up again. This was a conversation. His eyes got big with excitement as soon as he was sure the other couldn’t see them. He turned his head calmly as they walked.



“I had lunch with a good high school friend. She has Lupus and can’t get out much so we try to have special lunch dates as often as possible. She doesn’t get out much you know. She can get very tired, quickly. It was very nice.” Hunter felt dumb. The other man spoke of working out and important other everyday activities. Hunter brought up the topic of food. “I saw your dad’s billboard again.” Hunter said stupidly. He kicked himself for it. “I know it hasn’t moved, but it is kind of fun to see him up there. It’s like running into you.” Hunter paused and thought about how weird it sounded. “I’m so sorry. I just meant….It’s like I know a celebrity.”


“Yah, well being a lawyer’s kid isn’t as fun as it seems. I’m glad you get a chuckle out of it.” the man followed Hunter up one more staircase and then again down a hallway. “It’s like you are always being watched. Even better, you get to raise yourself.” the other man shrugged. Hunter nodded and stopped outside his door and then looked back.



“At least you have a father who just pretends to be there.” Hunter paused and leaned against his door looking at the attractive male that was well built. He had amazing arms and a full chest. His shirt was tight around each well formed muscle. His hair was styled similar to Hunter’s but it was shorter and darker. . “My father… didn’t handle news well about me being…you know.” Hunter paused and looked up to see if the man knew how he was going to finish. The other nodded.



“My father doesn’t even know.” He nodded sliding his key into his door before looking back at Hunter. “My mother was the only one who stuck up for me. We decided telling dad would come at a later time, but she passed before we could find that perfect time to tell him together.” He paused. 



“I’m sorry, Declan.” Hunter whispered. Declan- such a strong name, but it had this elegant sound to it in Hunter’s ear. He looked over the man and then at the floor. Just as if it had been assigned to him, his last name, Wolfe, described the man perfectly. Declan appeared as a well fit, young, trained stunt double for the Wolverine...minus the copious amounts of costume hair. 



“Nah, bro, don’t worry. I am ok now. ” Declan reassured him and then opened his door. “Come over sometime next week and maybe we can finish this talk?” Declan offered before pushing through inside the rest of his apartment. Hunter stood there not really believing the invitation he just got. He smiled and nodded.



“I will. Thanks!” Hunter smiled and watched Declan disappear behind the door. Soon Hunter was inside as well. He paced as he thought about the invitation. Next week? That’s 5 to 7 days. Hunter’s head exploded and then instantly called Will and Lunette to share the news. 



After Declan disappeared behind the door. He set his backpack down and put some things away. He then reached down into his backpack. He felt the brown paper sack and smiled. He pulled it out. ‘A few doses for next week. On me.- J’ Declan read the note and then sighed as he looked back at the door where Hunter was standing just a few moments ago. He shook his head and then bit his lip. He opened the bag and pulled out several small bottles. He walked with them in his hands and lined them up in his bathroom. He observed his little display and then left the bathroom. As he walked by the mirror he paused and stared over his arms. They were his pride and joy, but slowly they became smaller. He tried not to think about it as he forced himself out the bathroom door. He took a seat on the couch and then looked at the television turning it on hesitantly. As if waiting for him, a commercial of his father flashed across the screen. Declan turned off the television and threw his head back. 



“Can I not just escape you for 10 minutes?” He said to his ceiling. He bit his lip and then rubbed the back of his neck and picked up the phone and called Jared. He waited until a scruffy voice picked up the other line. “Yah, it’s me. “ he paused as Jared greeted him. “So….how many can I take at one time?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for sticking with me!!! I hope you enjoy our new character.
Note: This story focuses on many different people and their ability to deal with change. I know it may seem to skip around, but that is the point. The point is to follow multiple characters.
Please help me better this story! Subscribe, comment or recommend!! It helps me focus my energy!

Thanks for reading!