Buckshot

three

Harper had given Kimberly a lift back to the UC in Jonathan’s car and left with promises to see her at the game. Kimberly pushed the chair back down to her office and got to work on the last bit of paperwork she had to do before she could leave, when she heard a knock on the door.

“Have a nice ride?” Hjalmarsson asked.

“Yeah, tons of fun.” Kimberly said as she rolled her eyes. “What can I do for you today, Nickaroo?”

He closed the door and spoke quietly “ I want to get an engagement ring for Elina.”

Kimberly gasped, eyes wide, and grew very excited. They were unofficially engaged and had been for a while. It had been one of those deals where everyone knew they were getting married; it just wasn’t set in stone.

“Oh Nick, I’m so happy for you!” She squealed and ran around to give him a hug.

He laughed and shushed her “We have to be covert about this, she’s got eyes everywhere.”

“We?” Kimberly asked

“I need your help picking out the ring. She told me that you both wore the same size after she tried on one of yours.” He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly and looked up at her.

She laughed and nodded her head. “I tell you what, pick out some designs and email them to me. Try to get ones from somewhere local so I can go try them on. I’ll do that, and send the information to you while you’re gone next week.”

“You’re a life saver, Kimberly.” Nicklas said to her, kissing her on the forehead before leaving.

She was thrilled to help him out, and wanted so badly to start looking at rings for him, but she had to leave. The game was in two hours and it took her 30 minutes to get here and back again. She rushed home, cursing the game traffic and dressed in record time. She threw on a white Henley, a pair of skinny jeans and her black Tory Burch’s before running into the bathroom to do something with her very flat hair. Luckily, she had hot rollers, and while those were setting, she slipped in her 4 feather earrings and donned some bold red lipstick. She darkened her eyeliner and threw on some perfume before taking the curlers out and throwing them in the sink. She would straighten them up later. At that moment, however, she needed to do something with the mass of hair atop her head. Flipping it over, she sprayed it, letting the hairspray dry before flipping back up.

“The bigger the hair, the closer you are to God.” She told herself, quoting one of her favorite movies, and pinning the front pieces back. When she finally decided that she looked presentable, she left, with 4 minutes to spare and headed back to her home away from home.

She made it to the arena in enough time to beat Viktor to her office, but just barely.

She was on her computer, looking at rings for Nicklas when she heard a wolf whistle at her door.

“I’m very proud to have you wear my number tonight, Buck.” Viktor said looking her over.

“Oh, hush about it.” She blushed. “Where’s my jersey?”

He slid it across her desk and made no apologies about watching her put it on. “ I cannot wait to see Jon’s face when he sees you.”

She popped her head out of the top of the jersey, trying not to muss her hair. “You’re a bad man, Viktor Stalberg.”

He laughed and nodded. “Let me go before I’m missed.”

“I’ll see you in a few minutes, anyway.” She informed him, closing down her computer for the evening and locking her door.

She slid her expense reports under accounting’s door, and made her way to the locker room. Coach Q was outside the door, talking on the phone when he saw her.

“Stalberg, huh?” Q asked

“Well coach, there’s just so much a woman can do before she succumbs to the sexiness of him.”
Coach Q raised an eyebrow in question

“He offered me half of the pot so I caved.” She laughed when he smiled.

“Good girl. Go ahead in.” He held the door open for her.

She walked in to see some of the players in the front room, but most of them were in the back. Treading carefully, to avoid the logo, she walked closer, praying to God that they were decent.

“Thunder!” She yelled, using the WWII countersign, knowing they would respond when they were ready.

“Flash!” Patrick Sharp yelled back to her, and she turned the corner into the room.

There was a loud groan, and a laugh, amid catcalls from the rest of the team.

“Red looks good on you, Buckshot!” Hjarlmarsson said, as he was passing her.

“Thanks.” She said, patting his shoulder.

“Fucking Stalberg?” Jonathan questioned as he came closer.

“Well, no he has to buy me dinner first.” Kimberly batted her eyelashes at him, and Captain Serious cracked a smile.

Viktor chose that moment to walk over and hand her half of the winnings. “Thanks, Buck.”

The transaction made Jonathan groan again. “That smart bastard.”

“No hard feelings?” She asked hip checking him.

“No, Princess.” He laughed. “You ready?”

She nodded and covered her ears before he whistled shrilly, gaining everyone’s attention.

“Any last requests?” She asked. It was customary for her to see if the players had anything they needed before they went on the ice. If they did, they could always text her but they’d have to face the wrath of Coach Q. This tended to work out in the best ways for all of the parties involved.

“Take off Stalberg’s jersey!” Toews yelled from the next room where he tied on his skates.
There were a few laughs and Kimberly shook her head.

“Alright then, Y’all have a great game. Love ya’ll!” She said before heading for the door.

Before she made it, Kane grabbed her hand. “Thanks for looking out for my sisters, Buckshot.”

“No problem.” She said and stood on her tip toes to kiss his cheek before leaving, not noticing that she left a bit of lipstick on his cheek.

When she finally was able to make it up to the box, the Kanes were already there, proudly wearing their brother’s number on their backs. Kimberly was nervous. She was always nervous before a game, but when she walked in the door, she could feel it more than usual. There was a loud squeal and Kimberly was tackled to the ground by a lanky blonde.

“Erica, you heifer!” Kimberly giggled and squeezed Patrick’s oldest sister tightly. They had become fast friends when Kimberly joined the organization 2 years ago and had been close ever since. The younger sister Jessica was close to Kimberly as well, but instead of tackling , she helped Kimberly up and gave her a hug.

“I’ve missed you two!” Kimberly smiled, elated. “How have y’all been?”

Erica’s expression grew a little dark. “ I honestly didn’t know how much longer I could stand listening to Nicki and Elina’s discussion, there was only so much I could add after I told her about the new clothes I saw at Fashion Week.”

“Poor girls.” Kimberly shook her head and went to sit down in the seats, anxious for the game to start. And start it did, the game was so intense, that Kimberly couldn’t take her eyes off of it until the 2nd intermission.

She excused herself to the ladies room and when she was washing her hands, Nicki came in. Instead of shying away from the woman, like she knew she ought to, she decided to be friendly.

“Hey Nicki, how’s it going?” She spoke and apparently that was enough of an invitation for Nicki to speak her mind.

“I don’t know who you think you’re trying to fool, but I know what kind of woman you are, cozying up to my boyfriend’s sisters so you can get in his wallet.” Nicki scoffed “Let me make one thing perfectly clear, you little slut. Patrick is mine, and if you go near him, I will tell every single one of the player’s wives just how much of a skank you are.”

Kimberly was so taken aback that she couldn’t form words. How dare that woman even insinuate that she had done something wrong! Had she done something wrong?

“Buckshot, chill out. Nicki is just being a bitch.” Harper said, coming out from one of the stalls.

Kimberly had never been one to cry over words someone spewed out of their mouths, but that actually hurt more than a little. Patrick was her best friend. He had been her best friend for 2 years now and she had to stay away from basically the only person she could confide in?

“I can’t stay away from him, Harper. He works with me, for God’s sake.” Kimberly chuckled grimly at the absurdity of it all. “Maybe she’s right though, maybe I do need to back off a little from him so that he can work things out with Nicki.”

“That’s stupid, Kimberly and you know it. “ Harper spoke. “ He’s known you longer than her and I think she’s just all around…stupid.”

With a promise from Harper to watch out for the Kanes, Kimberly went back down stairs to her office and wrote a note to stick in Kane’s locker.

Patrick,
Great game tonight. Talked to Nicki tonight and I’ve decided to hang back a little so you two can work things out. Maybe Thursday should be yours and Nicki’s instead of ours. I’ll see you at work tomorrow.
Buck

Before they came back for overtime intermission, Kimberly left with watery eyes and a questioning heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy Cow, thank you guys so much for the comments and the subscriptions. Please let me know what you think about this chapter. Feedback is amazing.