Kate

with some rusty kitchen scissors

"Kathryn Eleanor Montgomery, where the FUCK did you put my eyelash curler?"

Ah, the lovely Mrs. Montgomery. The tan, botoxed, regularly intoxicated Mrs. Jennifer Montgomery.

Jennifer's screams continued ringing through the mansion, making Kate's hands shake even more violently than they already were. She stuck her head under the running water of the bathroom sink, mainly to drown out the whines of her mother, and partly to rinse out the jet-black dye.

"We're supposed to be at Brenda's in ten minutes! Are you ready?" her mother's voice continued to screech from the first floor. Kate scrunched the ends of her hair and watched as the water transformed from black to a dull shade of grey, and then finally to it's usual natural transparency.

She could hear her mother's Louboutin heels clattering up the marble staircase as she grabbed a towel to squeeze the water out of her hair. When she finally lifted her head to look in the mirror, Kate didn't move a muscle. Not too bad, she thought as she lifted the scissors from the counter. The click of heels grew louder as Jennifer made her way down the hallway. Kate had already chopped most of her hair off when her mother entered the room.

"Seriously, we are going to be late. Let's get the show on the roa - oh dear God." And then there was silence. Silence, as the 42-year-old mother clasped her hands over her mouth and stared wide-eyed at her only child. Silence, as the 17-year-old daughter stared blankly at her own reflection in the mirror.

"What have you done?" her mother managed to gasp. Kate responded by snipping off the rest of her hair. The daughter laid the scissors back on the counter and turned to her mother.

"I'm ready."

"Carter is going to die."

Of course her mother would think about Carter at a time like this.

"I hope he does."