Kate

til the neighbors called the cops

Carter could hear her footsteps following him down the hallway. They were strong, they were determined, they were getting faster and faster and faster. He could feel the heat from her eyes burning his back and he could hear her teeth gritting together in the back of her mouth.

"Turn around already!" She yelled at the back of his head, but he ignored her. He made it out one of the side doors of the school before she caught up to him. She shoved him in the side and then shoved him against the brick. "You can't run from me forever, asshole."

Kate wore vengeance like she wore out-of-season clothing. She still looked good in it, but she just wasn't herself. Nothing about her frightened Carter, and he wanted to smile at her attempt to be menacing.

"Have you lost weight?" He asked as he took in her bony legs.

"That's what you have to say to me? You break up with me out of the blue, avoid me for a week, and then that is all you have to say to me?" she continued to yell, "you're disgusting. You're unbelievable, you make me sick."

"You look sick."

"This is you. You did this to me!" she shrieked as she raked her fingers forcefully through her tangled hair.

"I didn't do shit to you. Look at yourself. What the fuck are you even wearing? Is this you begging for attention? Begging people to notice you now that you're irrelevant?" he held her cold stare until she laughed manically and spit in his face. She grabbed his collar and pulled him down to eye level.

"Oh I haven't even started yet. Maybe this is all an act, but it's one that you won't be able to escape. I'll be the talk of the town baby, and you will hear my name over, and over, and over again," Kate whispered in his ear as she let go of him. "Now I'll do you one last favor and go home so you can peacefully sit in your seat for one more day, because we both know you would never skip class," she smirked condescendingly, "but just know that I'll be there in front of you every single day, reminding you that everything you touch turns to shit."

Carter watched her as she walked away. He watched her walk through the tall grass, across the parking lot, and up to her Range Rover. There were some things she wouldn't be able to change, including her fancy house and her fancy car. She had mentioned to him multiple times how fake she thought her friends were, how fake she thought her mother was, and now he knew she had added him to that list. Carter wiped the spit off of his face with his sleeve before getting in his own car and driving away.