Cold Stone

Dreary Cemetary

Die stared blankly at the marble headstone in front of him. Tears were streaming down his face but couldn't feel them. He was completely numb to everything. Rain pattered against his face as if torturing him more, letting him know he was alone now. The soil beneath his feet was still soft when they buried the casket not too long ago. The sweet scent of flowers filled his nostrils from the many condolences from people around her grave.

Why did this happen? Why did this have to happen to her? She had no reason to leave this world the way that she did. She didn't do anything wrong to be punished like this. She left her daughter behind. She left him behind. Die felt like his heart had been crushed when she was pronounced dead at the hospital.

He wanted to kill the thug who murdered his wife. Die could remember that night clearly. He and Amara were heading home from the bar and some guy jumped them. The goon knocked Die aside then went after Amara. He went to grab her necklace but she fought back. Before Die could get up and help her, he could see Amara's eyes were wide and she seemed to be in shock. He then noticed that the man had stabbed Amara with a switch blade he had hidden. The guy threw her aside and ran off. Die immediately ran to Amara and held her close to him. He applied pressure to her wound and looked down at her, telling her that it would be all right.

It wouldn't be all right. The thief managed to pilfer her necklace along with her wedding ring. He had wanted to stay by her side but he was forced to wait outside the room. The doctors couldn't save her since she had lost so much blood. He could feel his world shatter when they told him this.

During the whole funeral, he was completely numb and tears were streaming down his face every now and then. He looked down at his daughter to see her just looking at the casket. She was too innocent to know anything right now. She had no concept of life and death. She was only four, for god's sake.

Die could feel Ame pulling at his sleeve, making him look down at her. She stared up at him with her dark eyes and a small pout on her lip, "Why did they bury mama in dirt?"

Die frowned even more and picked her up, "Mommy is gone, hime... she is in heaven right now."

"Will we see mama again?" she asked holding Die around his neck.

Die closed his eyes and hung his head a little then looked up at him with his red rimmed eyes, "No, sweetheart. Mommy is an angel now."

Ame frowned and set her head on Die's shoulder while sniffling, "Mama makes a pretty angel..."

"Yes she does..." Die said closing his eyes as he held Ame close to him and held her head against his shoulder as more tears streamed down his cheeks.