‹ Prequel: So Far Away.
Status: SEQUEL TIME!

Thick and Thin

a day away from good bye.

I helped Eli pack his stuff to leave the next day, on top of trying to help Sara pack everything up in her room, on top of me trying to study the notes so I don't go back to work rusty. I was a little stress, to say the least.

"You think I should take this?" Sara asked, holding up an old piggy bank. She was really trying to limit her packing due to Adam's smaller apartment.

"I think you should. It'll be good to save up change."

She nodded and wrapped it in bubble wrap before setting it in a box labeled "Fragile". We paused and laughed when we heard Eli snoring in my room across the hall.

"Poor boy," I muttered. We had gotten up early to pack his stuff just to make sure we had everything. Sara and I continued to pack some of her stuff. She held up a giant bear. I scrunched my nose and shook my head.

"You're married now, I don't think Adam would like you cuddling with stuffed animals and not him. Plus, your ex boyfriend gave you that."

"Did he?" She asked and shrugged setting it to the side.

"We can just keep it here in case you visit or if you have kids. Speaking of kids, are you two...?"

"We aren't sure yet. Future, yes, but we don't know when."

"Are you planning on adopting?"

"Actually, no. I want to have to full experience, so I'm just going to get a sperm donation."

"That's gross," I mumbled. "You better do research."

"I promise." She held up three fingers. "Girl scouts honor."

We heard a light knock on the door. Eli stood against the door frame, yawning, and holding my phone up. Shit, I thought.

"Phone call," He mumbled.

"I'm sorry, go back to sleep." He kissed my cheek and he went back to my room and not five minutes later, the room was filled with his snoring.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Alex?" A familiar voice asked.

"Hey, how are you?" I asked Laura.

"I'm doing a lot better. I'm actually going to live with my aunt once she found out my mom got in contact with my dad. They caught him in time before he boarded the plane and he's in jail again for trying to flee the state and breaking his parole."

"That's always great to hear," I said smiling.

"Yeah. I just thought I'd let you know."

"Well, thank you. Will you be continuing our sessions?" I wondered.

"My aunt wants me to keep seeing you so yes. She thinks it's good for me to talk to someone, she understands she's old and I'd rather talk to someone younger."

I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Well I'm happy, I'll see you next Wednesday then?"

"Yeah. And Alex? Thank you."

"Anytime," I said barely a whisper. I could feel myself starting to get choked up. We got off the phone and Sara had a curious expression on her face.

"One of your people?" She asked and I nodded. She smiled and continued onto piling her clothes into an empty box. I stood up and stretched my legs out.

"Hungry?" I asked her and she answered with a nod.

"Peanut butter and jelly please."

I walked into the kitchen and made two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, both cut into a triangle, two cans of cold coke and a handful of potato chips on each plate. Sara came in and sat at the counter.

"This takes me back," I sighed after taking my first bite. "It reminds me of when we were kids on field trips. This was all my mom would pack me."

"Who can blame her? It's a genius food! You got your sweet and your semi sweet salty, and with the chips, salty! It's perfect. Now we just need little juice boxes," She joked.

"That does sound good," I whispered. It was quiet for a few minutes. The only sounds were us chewing or drinking our soda, occasionally letting out a burp and laughing.

One more week of this, I thought. A week from today and she'll be gone. No more pointless conversations like peanut butter and jelly, no more burping contests. A feeling of sadness swept over, but I shrugged it off.

'Don't get sad now,' I thought to myself. 'Wait until the day comes, as for now, make the best of it.'

After we ate we decided to relax on the couch and watch TV, flipping through every show and paused on the Spanish channel. We used to do this all the time as kids. We would mute it and say what they should be speaking, like improve kind of. The soap operas were the best.

"I wonder why he's mad?" Sara asked. I shrugged.

"Don't know. I should've paid attention in Spanish."

We heard someone shuffle in an hour later. Eli came in scratching his messy hair. He went to the fridge and grabbed some orange juice and came and sat next to me, drinking from the carton.

"You are so lucky I hate orange juice," I spoke. "I'd beat the shit out of you for drinking out of the carton."

"What's so different from that and you kissing me?"

"It's different because I think it's different. Plus, that's Sara's. Technically, she makes out with you every time she drinks that." He shrugged and kept drinking from the carton.

"Get some packing done?" He asked. Sara and I both nodded our heads, eyes glued to the TV.

"We put a little dent in it," Sara said.

"That's good, that's good," he mumbled. He reached over and squeezed my hand. "I'm going to miss you," he whispered. Sara made a gag noise.

"Can you at least wait for the mushy talk when I'm not in the room?" She complained. I rolled my eyes.

"I had to listen for YEARS about you and Adam," I pointed. She glared and me and went back into her room, shutting her door. I turned back to Eli who was grinning.

"It's my last night here," he mentioned.

"It is?" I asked being a smart ass.

"Yep. We need to do something memorable," he smirked. My whole body felt like it was melting. I nodded.

"What's in mind?"

"Well," He paused and wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer. "Maybe a nice walk on the beach tonight, some champagne?" He raised his eye brows.

"That sounds beautiful," I smiled and kissed him on the lips. "One condition, though. Skinny dipping."

"No?" He said looking disappointed. I laughed.

"Yes."

"Yes to the no skinny dipping or yes to the yes skinny dipping."

"Yes to the yes," I grinned and he laughed.

**

"Eli, let's go!" I shouted. I didn't understand how everyone says girls are always late because they take too long getting ready and anytime Eli and I went anywhere I was the one waiting on him.

"Okay, babe, I'm coming." He opened the door wearing a black button up shirt and dark blue jeans with black converse sneakers. I was wearing jean shorts and a over sized hot pink tank and pink sandals. I looked down at myself feeling very underdressed.

"Did I forget your memo?" I asked. He cocked his head to the side. "To dress nice?" I pointed at his clothing.

"I just felt like dressing nice. Is that okay?" He asked. I smiled and held out my hand.

"Let's roll," I laughed and grabbed my back pack with towels and a blanket.

We started walking to the beach around nine. It was already dark and the only thing that lit the streets were the street lamps and occasional headlights of cars passing by. After a few minutes we made it to the beach.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to see but the moon filled the beach and the ocean with light. I set my backpack down and whipped the blanket out. I stood up and saw Eli taking his shirt off.

"What? You said skinny dipping?" He held his hands up.

"I didn't think.."

"You scared?" He asked, pulling his pants off.

"Of what?" I scoffed, crossing my arms.

"Getting caught." I gave him a daring grin and took my shirt and shorts off. When I saw him take his last article of clothing off, his boxers, I took off my bra and underwear and ran to the ocean.

It was a cool shock for a second, but my body quickly got used to the temperature. I started laughing uncontrollably, like I was in a high. I swam over to Eli and wrapped my hands around his neck. He rested his forehead on mine and stared into my eyes, and I wasn't sure if his gaze was the reason why I had a shock up my spine or if that was from being in the water.

"I love you," He whispered. I felt my cheeks flushed and I smiled uncontrollably.

"I love you too."

"Prove it." He dared.

"How?" I asked, raising my voice. He pulled away from me and started going back to the shore. I could tell my face was just screaming confusion. I followed him back and wrapped a towel around me, slightly shivering from the cool air hitting my wet skin.

He wrapped his towel around and laid down on the blanket, grabbing my wrist and pulling me with him. I felt instant relief feeling his warm body against my freezing one.

"I don't want you to leave," I admitted. His eyes turned sad.

"I really don't have much longer to go, and I can visit or you can visit."

"It's not the same," I whispered, resting my head on his chest. I loved hearing his breathing, his heart beat. He pulled his free arm and rested it under his head.

"Look," he said pointing to the sky. "Big dipper."

"Little dipper," I pointed just a little bit away from where he was pointing.

"I didn't know you were a thief," he said.

"What?"

"You stole those stars and put them in your eyes."

I never laughed so hard at this cheesy line.

"Ok Eli, one, I don't think that's how it even goes and two, what the hell?"

"I thought I would try," He smirked. I sat up and kissed him. I leaned over to my bag and grabbed my camera and took a quick picture.

"So it can last forever," I smiled. He kissed my forehead and we laid there until two a.m. watching the sky. Ok, there was some sexy time, but mainly star gazing. I wasn't looking forward to the next day. I didn't want to say good bye again.