Status: Short!!!

Dear Love

Only Chapter

My dear love,

My darling I hope you are enjoying your travels. I wish I could be joining you to tour the fabulous Cu Chi tunnels of Vietnam, but sadly this stomach bug I have contracted seems to be restricting me from such travels. But do not worry about me; exploring the underground city of Cappadocia together was quite adequate.
My love there is something that I must tell you, something you may find dismal. I do wish with all my heart that I could tell you this in person, but the distance put between us stops that from happening.
I remember when we were in love. We spent days together and never got tired of each other. We did everything that there was together. Now that we have done everything together, we seem to have gotten bored of each other. Our minds are quite alike; always looking for a new adventure. We have drifted apart, searching for something new. Our jaunting ways do not go together anymore. This is hard to say, but it’s for the best.
I remember falling in love with you when you held my hand at the top of Vesuvius. The tour guide couldn’t speak a lick of English and we had to navigate foreign maps ourselves. We ended up not having any meals and I was almost reluctant to climb that steaming mountain. We peered into the deep crater but all I could do was sigh. When I felt the warmth of your hand, I knew that you were special.
We travelled around the world and took every risk. We rented a studio apartment in London we could barely spend three consecutive nights in. We weren’t young, but it felt like we were.
I guess I do miss being young with you. Every moment with you I was euphoric. But the euphoria faded not too long after it had begun. When I asked you one night, “Where to next?” you were silent. When I asked myself the same question, I found myself hesitating. Together we have done everything, and now it’s time for us to do it all over again with someone different.
With the last of my love for you,
Samantha

Samantha,

What can I say? I am not one bit surprised. To be fully honest, I knew that we would not last from the beginning. Thank you dearly for all the memories though, they will stay with me forever. Your face though, will not.
It is also not surprising that you sent this letter the moment distance is put between us. You were always afraid of confrontation. Perhaps if you weren’t you would have enjoyed your time in Pompeii, for all you needed to do was ask the director for an English speaking tour guide. You have never been quite gutsy enough to do things like that, or anything for that matter. In fact I doubt you were anything more than reluctant to stand on top of tall, scary hill.
I remember almost falling in love with you many times. Like the time you dug your head into my shoulder at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, you were so afraid of those wax displays. I was sad, of course, for those who had suffered from the bombing but never had I met someone whimpering so much as you were. It was almost endearing.
Also like the time we went bungee jumping at Europabrücke Bridge in Austria. The terror on your face was delightful! That sounds terrible, but the mirth, my love. I remember you making some excuse, like you had stomach pain, but I didn’t mind. You spent the rest of the evening calling your friends, and telling them how scary it was to jump off the fifth highest bungee jump in the world.
I never minded you being unwilling to take those risks with me, since you were paying for most of the airfares. My goal was never to find love, but rather to experience all that there was. Our aspirations didn’t really match, and I am surprised you never saw that.
Perhaps the moment I felt the most affection for you was the time I held your hand at Pompeii. Maybe I did it to silence your whining, or maybe it was because I felt some pity for you. Had you not any idea what I was doing to you all this time? I never loved you, and you hadn’t a clue. Perhaps it wasn’t either! Perhaps it was the fumes emitting from the volcano.
Needless to say, I can assure you that I will enjoy the rest of my tour in Vietnam, with or without you (though it would have been nice to get my paws on the couple discount they offer).
With formal regard,
Your once “lover”