Red

Four.

When Lazarus had finished skinning the beast and Red collected the teeth, they both stood up and looked at each other with a grin on their faces, the girl wiping the blood off of her face onto her shirt. She dropped the teeth into her bag and put her knife back, watching as Lazarus picked up the pelt and draped it over his shoulders, blood getting on his leather jacket. Red sighed, shaking her head because she knew she would have to wash it off later.

"That's gross, that's freshly skinned and you're using it as a fuckin' shoulder drape or whatever fancy rich people used to call those things," Red murmurs, holding her bag tightly to herself as they headed back toward the main road that lead to the suburbs. Past that was Lazarus' house, and it was nice and secluded from noisy neighbors and loud kids.

"You've got a problem with this?" Lazarus asked, chuckling quietly as they made it to his house. Laz's house was different in a sense that it wasn't actually a house at all. It was different shipping containers that were used on the old cargo ships back before the war. They were all welded together to form a square box. You wouldn't expect them to be cozy like they were, but they were. The windows for them were made out of 3 inch thick glass and situated so that they wouldn't fall out of the container. Once Laz opened up the door and set the pelt down, Red groaned and threw her bag to the floor and plopped on top of the old and ratty couch. "Uh-uh-uh, you owe me something remember?" Lazarus grinned.

"Oh, fuck, yeah you're right," the girl replied. She pulled out five teeth and handed it to the man, rolling her eyes. "There, you loser," she stuck her tongue out then.

"You're jealous because I'm better than you," Laz replied. "Also, you're forgetting dinner," he added with a smug look about his face.

"God dammit, you know I don't know how to cook that good," she sighed.

-------
Once dinner time had rolled around, Red found herself making a huge mess out of the fire pit and cold box area. She decided to make Teeth stew, packed full with broth from chickens, freshly picked carrots and peas and celery, and some nice thick potatoes. It had cooked for three hours before it was fully done, smelling up the entire place. She poured Lazarus a cup of wine and herself one as well, setting the bowl of stew down in front of the dark haired man.

"This looks really good, Red," Laz smiled at her. She shrugged then, putting a bowl of stew down in front of her spot at the hand carved wooden table. Lazarus made most of the stuff in his shipping container home; the other stuff he collected over the years.

"I tried, this is the only thing I really know how to make. It won't taste that good because pearl onions aren't blooming in the garden. I need to find out why," Red frowned then. Sitting down criss-crossed on the old arm chair, the red head brought the cup of wine up to her lips and took a sip, watching Lazarus begin to eat.

"It's so good, even without the onions," the man said with a mouth full of food. He scarfed the entire bowl down and got up to get more. Red hadn't even taken a bite before the Diamond Cloaker was done. "So, what time are you planning to get up for training tomorrow?" He asked as he wandered back over to the table.

"I was thinking before sunrise but then I thought about getting drunk tonight and going for a walk with Gram tonight, since he hasn't gotten out of the cage in a while," she replied as she looked over at the sleeping crow. "What do you say, mister trainer?" She asked; Lazarus trained her more often than the Cloakers even offered to train the Crimsons.

"I say I'd love to go on a walk with you and Gram," Lazarus replied, already face first in his second bowl of stew. It made Red smile, how sweet and considerate the man was.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW IT'S BEEN A YEAR.