Status: Complete :)

Kiss Me Tenderly

Chapter 1

The bright, blocky colors of the daycare splashed my retinas, nearly bowling me over. I let the glass door click shut behind me, shutting out the flurries of snow and keeping in the warmth exhaled by the creaking heating system. The squeals of joyous children echoed down the hall covered in little cut out hands in all three primary colors.
I stepped up to the currently unoccupied reception desk, pulling off my gloves and setting them on the counter. I looked about for the usual receptionist, confused at the empty desk and the absence of the usual sign out sheet. Quickly melting snowflakes were brushed out of my black hair, as I called out a quick “Hello?” to anyone who might have been listening. I leaned against the counter, waiting for somebody to show up.
No one did, not for a few minutes at least.
I was tapping my fingers, calloused by years of guitar playing, against the counter, worn old by the bottoms of children sat with swinging feet while their parents signed them in or out, when I heard footsteps.
“Oh my god, I’m so sorry, one of the kids flushed all the pink legos down the toilet and another threw all the lunches outside into the snow-” a male’s voice apologized profusely from behind me, scurrying behind the desk. A mop of blonde hair flopped into the rolling chair (yes, body and head included, not just the hair), the wheels squawking in protest across the linoleum tiles before it ducked under the counter.
I heard slight clattering as he rummaged through what I imagined to me a Mount Everest sized pile of clipboards before I heard the slick scrape of one being withdrawn. A short, muffled bang slightly shook the desk and an “Ow..” was muttered before the blonde male reappeared. He handed the clipboard the me, rubbing the back of his head, letting the pen attached to the clipboard swing between our hands.
I scribbled down the necessary information and scrawled a Jack Barakat on the line next to it.
“Mr. Barakat?” the blonde guy asked, reaching for the clipboard and checking the paper.
“That’s me,” I replied, finally getting to get a good look at the flustered guy in front of me.
He shuffled papers around on the desk, his pink tongue peeking out from between his teeth. His blonde streaked hair poked out of his gray beanie the way straw poked out of a scarecrow’s hat. He finally shoved all the loose papers and the clipboard underneath the counter and looked up at me with huge caramel eyes, smiling.
Oh my god, he has dimples. I have a weakness for dimples.
“-right back,” was all I heard before he walked back down the hall. I didn't have to wait so long this time for footsteps to return but this time, it was his slower, longer steps accompanied by two pairs of pattering steps, like rain.
“Daddy!” “Daddy!” Two little black haired blurs jumped on me, skinny arms and legs wrapping around every part of me they could reach. I laughed and patted the two heads gently, feathery hair brushing against my palms.
“Hi sweeties,” I grinned, squatting down. I was face to face with two identical little girls, wearing identical smiles, and sporting identical Fall Out Boy hoodies. They jumped on me at the same time, throwing their arms around my neck simultaneously, probably bumping heads but the poor things did it so often, they were used to it by now. I wrapped my own arms around them both, squeezing them tight, kissing them each on the cheek.
I loved these two little girls. They were my daughters, identical twins, exactly the same, down to the very last freckle. Sassy, short for Sassacaia, was the older and more outspoken of the pair. She was tomboyish, bouncy, and just plain loud. She was, however, one of the sweetest, kindest, five year olds you could find anywhere. Missy, was quiet and sweet but adventurous. She almost always would want to go into the backyard in the dead of night and catch fireflies. She played in the dirt and on her red tricycle in the backyard with her sister. The two never separated, nearly attached at the hip. It was endearing to see the two so close but who knows, maybe things will change as they get older. I hope not. I don’t want either of them to lose each other.
I looked up to see the dimple guy grinning at me. He was leaning against the wall, arms folded across his chest.
“They’re adorable. I was wondering who gave them the Fall Out Boy sweaters.”
I smiled up at him. “Thanks,” I laughed, giving my girls another squeeze before releasing them. They shriek with laughter and cling to my legs as I stand up.
I held out my hand to him. “My name’s Jack,” I introduced myself as he shook my hand. “And these little beauties are Sassacaia and Elliot, or, Sassy and Missy, respectively.”
Sassy gave a snort before giggling. “We knows Mister Gaskarf, Daddy, he works here, ‘member?” she slipped a small hand in mine before beaming up at the two of us. “Yeah, he teached us how to play the hopscotch game, d’ya ‘member that, Mister Gaskarf?” Missy tugged on my sweater, wanting to hold my hand too.
I looked at the now blushing man, cocking an eyebrow. “So your name is ‘Gaskarf’ is it? So you’re the one who taught my girls to cover the driveway with chalk,” I teased, smiling.
He blushed harder.
“It’s actually Gaskarth. With a t and an h. My first name is Alex, though,” he dimpled again. “Sorry about the chalk thing though.”
“It’s totally fine, Alex. As long as my two favorite daughters are happy, right?” I looked down at their adorable little faces, squeezing their hands lightly.
I opened my mouth to say something else and was in the process of turning my head when I felt a tug on my right hand. “Yes, Missy?” I looked down again.
“Daddy, I gotta ask you somefin’”, Missy stage whispered, waving my down to her height so she could properly whisper in my ear.
I crouched down and offered her my ear. “What is it, sweetie?” I whispered back. She cupped a tiny hand around my ear and whispered, “Can we go home and watch Blue’s Clues, please, Daddy?” Sassy, who had leaned on my shoulder to try and eavesdrop, whispered, “Yeah, please, Daddy? It’s our favorite. ‘Sides hot choc’late. That stuff’s yummy.”
“Tell you what, Missy, Sassy,” I said in a hushed tone. “If you go get your snow jackets, mittens, and boots on right now, we can go to IHOP as a special treat tonight and get hot chocolate and watch Blue’s Clues when we get home. Deal?” I gripped their hands slightly, knowing they’d agree.
They smiled widely at each other, quickly shaking my hands. “Deal.” They scampered off to the coat rack and the small cubbies where their boots and mittens were as I stood up slowly and watched them with what I imagined to be fondness in my eyes.
“You’re a great dad, Mr. Barakat.” Alex’s smooth voice reached my ears. I had almost forgotten he was there. I thanked him just as the two loves of my life ran back to me, colliding with each other. Missy’s purple down coat covered her little mittened hand, just as Sassy’s icy blue coat covered hers, but they both reached for my hand anyways.
“Well, goodbye, Mr. Gaskarth, it’s been a pleasure,” I added, tugging a hand out of Sassy’s grasp for a quick second to shake his hand goodbye. “Thanks for taking good care of my girls.”
Alex looked pleased. “I’ll see you next time, Mr. Barakat. Goodbye little ladies, be good to your daddy and don’t get sick!”
A little chorus of “Bye Mister Gaskarf, we won’t!” went up as I held the door open to the cold icy wind.
“Alex?”
Alex looked up from where he was returning to his seat behind the desk. “Yes, Mr. Barakat?”
“Call me Jack.” I winked at him before I walked out into the light snowfall after my enthusiastic girls.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm bacckkkk :) Sorry this is so weird. Had to set the scene yo. But yeah. Hopefully you guys like this one :3
- VivaciousVanity
Edit: WOW REREADING THIS AND I USE A LOT OF I IN THIS LIKE OMFG