Status: Complete :)

Kiss Me Tenderly

Chapter 7

“My god, Jack, what happened to your face?!”
I groaned, rubbing my cheeks awkwardly at the question I had received throughout the entire day. I had been released from the hospital a few days previously with a couple of fractured ribs and massive bruising. I had a particularly nasty one on my forehead and it attracted a lot of attention and frankly, I was tired of answering the same questions repeatedly but it would be rude if I didn’t answer them.
“Car crash,” I grunted, pulling the sign out sheet towards me, filling out the necessary information and shoving it away with a scrape and a squeal. I slumped, my forehead thudding against the counter. I felt lean fingers petting my hair down, the comforting gesture apparent.
“Sorry,” Alex said apologetically. “It was just a shock to see you with injuries.” He brushed my hair down again, letting his fingers linger a little longer than they needed to.
To be honest, I kind of liked it and slightly leaned into the touch. Ever since Ven passed, I wouldn’t let anyone get close, let alone touch me, so it was nice to have the small source of comfort.
“Do you want to talk about it?” he questioned, after a few silent moments of me just resting my head on the counter, trying to collect my thoughts.
“Am I a bad parent?” I blurted out, my cheek pressed against the wood that was slowly getting warm from my breath. “For Sassy and Missy getting hurt?” I lifted my face off the counter, resting my chin on the desk rather pathetically instead.
Alex’s face changed from an expression of confusion and sympathy to one of horror.
“Wha-No! Jack, it wasn’t your fault! I mean... you didn’t mean to do it, did you?”
I shook my head, no, my hair fluttering in my face. I knew it wasn’t my fault, but I couldn’t help but feel guilty over it. My babies, my little girls got HURT.
“Then don’t stress, Jack, they’re okay, aren’t they?” he grabbed my hand and squeezed it, almost on impulse. I stared from his fingers wrapped around mine, up to his face, bewildered.
He saw the look on my face, snatched his hand back.
“S-Sorry,” he stammered. “I-I just... Sorry. You’re just so cute, I couldn’t help myself.”
My brow wrinkled in confusion, a question wanting to fall from the tip of my tongue.
He beat me to it. “Bisexual, before you can ask. I didn’t know if you were or not, but hey, no shame in trying, yeah?”
I cleared my throat. “Hey, no it’s totally fine, same here,” I flashed him an awkwardly crooked smile. “Knew I was ever since I was in high school, went to a party with my then girlfriend, whom I was heads over heels for, was dared to kiss another guy, liked it, and ended up making out with him for the rest of the night. My then girlfriend turned out to be a lesbian so I guess it worked out okay.” I added thoughtfully and shrugged it off.
Alex dimpled, his dark brunette locks framing his smiling face.
“Cute. At least you didn’t get white girl wasted, almost get into a fight with a short Mexican, his brother, and two best friends, and then eventually end up on the back of your car, shirtless, making out with the Mexican’s cute as fuck boyfriend.”
My eyes widened, my earlier woes quite forgotten.
“No way!”
“Way.” He smirked, nodding his head in confirmation.
“Would never have pegged you for the type, Gaskarth,” I shook my head. “You seem so... Innocent, just working here.” I gestured at the cut out snwflakes strung around the room, the primary colors, the miniature clothes drying on the rack. “Around all these little kids, ya feel?”
“It was like, last weekend, so yeah, I feel you,” Alex’s laugh rang out, sweet, almost hiccuping laughter. It was endearing. Almost. I barely know the guy, you know?
We stood there for a couple minutes, just grinning at each other. I laughed again, much to Alex’s confusion.
“What?”
“We totally just shared a moment, man. Totally bonded, and all that sappy stuff.” I smiled wider at him than I have in the past two and a half years.
Alex rolled his eyes dramatically. His eyes were a shade of dark caramel, warm and inviting.
Yeah, I thought Alex Gaskarth was cute. Shut up.
“You’ve been here for fifteen minutes and all you’ve done is talk to me. Don’t you have little girls to pick up or something?” Alex laughed at me as he walked backwards down the hall.
“Yeah, I do. But I’d rather pick you up,” I winked at him, my crappy excuse for a pick up line falling completely flat and I knew it. Alex’s cheeks turned crimson before he hurriedly went through on of the doors.
I grinned to myself, barely having a moment to myself to process what just went down. I flirted with an incredibly cute guy. That’s it. So why do I feel all tingly and happy inside? I can’t like him already, jeez, we barely know each other. So we made small talk, so what.
The sound of three pairs of little feet and a twin chorus of “Daddy, Daddy!” echoed down the hall. I had a split second to react before two little bodies attached themselves to my legs.
“Daddy, Daddy! Can Owen come over, please please please?”
“Yeah, Daddy, please? Owen’s nice and doesn’t call us weird!”
Laughing, I squatted down. “Okay, first of all, who’s Owen.”
Sassy pointed at a small blonde haired boy standing off to the side, tugging on his Green Day hoodie. He looked nervous and there was something almost familiar about him...
“That’s Owen, Daddy. Please, can he come over? We promise we’ll share our legos and our dino nuggets, pleaasseeeee?” Missy joined her sister in pleading, big eyes sucking me into agreeing.
I sighed, running a hand through my hair. “Do you know when Owen’s mommy or daddy are going to get here so we can ask them?”
Owen looked up at Alex. “Can I, Dad?”
My jaw dropped, unhinged and fell completely off my body.
Alex had a kid? Was that why the kid looked familiar? I looked back up at Alex. Yeah, there was a vague resemblance there.
Alex’s eyes laughed at me as he dimpled, yet again. “Only if I’m invited too. You know how much I like dino nuggets, kiddo,” He swung the small boy up in his arms, settling him on his hip.
I shook myself out of my stupor. Okay, my daughters are friends with the cute guy's son. Not strange at all. Nope.
“Of course you’re invited, ‘Lex,” I grinned, the nickname coming completely out of nowhere. Alex raised a thick eyebrow at me, it nearly disappearing underneath his fringe. “When do you get off?”
Alex shifted his grip on Owen, peering at the silver plated watch set on his wrist. “In about ten minutes. I’ll follow you?”
I grinned. “It’s a date.”
We just stood there, smiling like idiots while children celebrated around us. In the back of my head, I could feel a distinct happiness, and a subconcious nudge with a whisper that sounded suspiciously like Ven.
It’s totally Fate.
♠ ♠ ♠
Laughs because fourth chapter has less reads than the fifth chapter.
Also laughs because cross bandom references.
THERE ARE YOU HAPPY.
JUST LOOK AT ALL THE JALEX.
LOOK AT IT.
Comments are loved and adored, just like you guys :3 <3
-VivaciousVanity