Status: active

Safe & Sound

one.

I’d spent most of my life running from my own problems.

The first had been the fact that my entire family, minus myself had been killed when I was ten. One of the killers had escorted me from Riverton, Wyoming to Beacon Hills, California during my comatose grief stage. I’d woken up to find Talia Hale hovering over me – my mother’s childhood best friend. I never asked how I’d gotten there, though I’d seen the man who’d dragged me to California countless times in town. Beacon Hills was home to more than one family of super naturals.

By the time I was fourteen, I was unlike most girls at Beacon Hills High School. I spent much of my time near stalking Talia's youngest son Derek. It wasn't for another year that I figured out why. Much to my dismay, Derek had little to no interest in me. His sister Laura was one of my closest friends however.

Thirteen years had passed since my arrival in Beacon Hills, and I’d long since abandoned the small town. I’d graduated early – gotten my high school diploma at fifteen after skipping middle school. I headed for college just after my sixteenth birthday on the east coast. I found myself at UCLA Medical School soon afterward, I was nineteen. To date, I was their youngest acceptance in nearly a hundred years.

I was in my final year of med school. I’d just finished my third night shift in a row and found myself walking through the parking lot in a daze. I wasn't sure if it was the lack of sleep or the fact that I’d consumed far too many caffeinated beverages to be considered healthy. Despite that, I wasn't fully prepared to find six feet of middle-aged werewolf standing in front of my car at eight in the morning. Especially given the last time I’d seen him he was in a comatose state from the house fire he’d been caught in. The last I’d heard he was residing in a long term care residence in Beacon Hills. Clearly, the werewolf healing gene hadn't gone away, only taken longer than usual.

“What the hell are you doing here Peter?” I asked.

It didn't matter how even I kept my tone of voice. My heart hammered in my chest, something which Peter’s overly sensitive ears could hear without issue. I’d likely taken him off guard not being surprised by the fact that he wasn't a vegetable, because his eyebrows rose slightly at my question.

“It’s time to come home Elizabeth,” Peter said calmly.

I snorted, “I’m not going back to Beacon Hills.”

Peter didn't move, blocking the drivers’ side door from my access. I might have been intimidated, but I was overtired, irritable and in no mood to be bossed around by another beta wolf.

“It’s not a choice Eliza. Derek’s in trouble.”

Despite trying to act like I didn't care, Peter knew better than anyone that I did.

“Derek doesn't give a shit about me, so why the hell am I going to rush to his rescue?” I asked.

“I doubt that Derek is fully aware of the trouble he’s actually in. I found this outside of the house,” Peter said. He handed me his phone. The photo made my blood run cold; the triangular symbol, lines outlining it from each corner of the triangle made in black paint. I recognized what it was painted on – the remains of the front door to the Hale house. This was no ordinary gang sign – it was the sign of a pack of Alpha wolves.

“When did you find this?” I asked evenly.

“Yesterday morning, I spent most of the day tracking you down. Derek was little to no help. He didn't want you involved.”

“That’s not a surprise, given the last time I saw him I threw a cinder block at his head,” I replied.

Peter didn't do well containing his amusement; a sharp snort erupted from his nostrils before a grin spread across his face.

“Dare I ask what idiot thing my nephew said to you to get that kind of reaction?”

“I wouldn't tell you anyway,” I grumbled, “Give me a few days; I have to notify my school I’ll be taking a leave of absence.”

“I don’t think we have that long sweetheart.”

“Call me sweetheart again and I’ll throw a cinder block at your head,” I snapped, “It’s going to be a few days or I don’t come at all. Take it or leave it.”

Peter wasn't overly impressed, but he finally moved away from the driver’s door. I unlocked the car, and much to my surprise Peter got into the passenger seat.

“What are you doing?”

“Making sure you don’t leave.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Eliza's Outfit

I know, another new story. BUT I COULDN'T HELP IT. Seriously, this story's been floating around in my brain for weeks. I had to write it down. I just had to.

Leave me some comments & subscribe :)