Status: active

Safe & Sound

six.

It seemed so strange to me that I’d found a friend in Isaac. He was the first person I’d let in since I cut off communication with Laura after I left for Columbia. Derek seemed irritated by the fact that Isaac was almost constantly around. Quite frankly, if it irritated Derek, that was only another bonus in my books.

I’d dragged Isaac grocery shopping with me, because he spent most of his time at Derek’s anyway, plus I didn’t need to be ambushed alone by the alpha twins, only to end up killing one of them.

“Has Derek met with the Alphas yet?” Isaac asked.

I shook my head, “Peter’s trying to help strategize, and I’m shutting down about every plan they come up with.”

“It’s going to have to happen sooner or later Liza,” Isaac reminded me.

I rolled my eyes, “I’m aware.”

I turned away from Isaac to grab a box of cereal from the shelf across from me only to slam into another person.

“Jesus,” the man groaned.

I was sure he’d bruise.

“I’m so sorry!” I said quickly, “I wasn’t- Chris?”

It was Chris Argent alright. I’d recognize him anywhere. His light brown hair was beginning to grey in spots but his blue eyes were unmistakable.

“You’re back in town,” Chris’ voice held a hint of surprise.

I’d avoided Beacon Hills like the plague – especially after the fire but even during my residency, I took almost every opportunity to spend as little time in the town as I could. I’d run off into the forest for days to get myself away from Derek, whom I constantly fought with in my younger years. Not much had changed in that regard, but at least I’d sooner throw a punch him than run off.

“Peter didn’t give me much of a choice,” I replied bitterly.

“The Alpha Pack’s still hanging around?”

“Like a bad case of head lice,” I replied, “I take it you’ve been keeping tabs on them.”

Chris nodded but didn’t elaborate more. I didn’t expect him to. He may have spared my life, but that didn’t mean he actually liked werewolves. He did belong to the Argent family after all.

My phone began ringing, interrupting the lingering awkwardness. I’d never been so relieved to hear from Peter Hale in my life.

“What’s wrong now?” I asked

“Derek wants you and Isaac back at his apartment. He found Erica, Boyd and...Cora”

“Cora’s dead Peter,” I replied.

“Yeah, that’s what we all thought too,” Peter said.

“We’ll be there as soon as we can.”

Isaac and I abandoned the groceries and left the store without an explanation to Chris Argent. Derek’s Camaro was parked in front of his apartment building instead of in the building’s lot like it normally was. He’d been in a hurry to get the two of them into the house.

“Do you think they’re alright?” Isaac asked.

I shook my head, “Not if I’m the one Peter called.”

“What the hell took you so long?” Derek yelled as soon as we walked into the door.

“I can turn around you know,” I snapped, “What the hell’s going on?”

“They were locked in a bank vault, made of hecatolite.”

I stood there for several minutes trying to absorb what Derek had just told me. This wasn’t good, and given that the full moon was tomorrow I wasn’t sure we’d find a place secure enough to hold them.

“What’s that mean?” Isaac asked.

“The Alphas want Derek to eliminate them, cut the ties between himself and his pack. It’s initiation,” I replied, “Moonstone scatters the moon’s rays. They’ve been depriving Boyd and Erica of changing for four months.”

“They’re not the only ones I found in the vault,” Derek said. His eyes moved toward a brunette on the couch. I recognized her, only because she was the spitting image of Talia.

“I don’t see why you don’t tell them about Eliza,” Peter said tiredly, “They’d leave if they knew you have a mate.”

I could hear Derek’s teeth grind together as he turned to look at Peter. I couldn’t see the look Derek was giving him, but I was sure it wasn’t pleasant. Peter left the room immediately.

“Why do you let him get to you?” I asked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eliza's Outfit

Seriously you guys, where in the hell did I acquire 91 subscribers? That's insane because this story hasn't even really gotten started yet. ;)