Status: Done

Untitled

Click to Read

"Earthquakes are expected to continue in small scales for the next four to six hours..." a voice droned on a small bar television as the ground below rumbled. Not enough to make anything fall or come to harm, yet some of the drunkards were having trouble keeping their footing.

"They tell us the world isn't ending, then next thing you know it's shaking." a man in his early twenties averted his gaze from the television to the bartender as he waited out this current quake to stumble to the bathroom.

"Yeah, just be glad it's not something bigger, ne?" the bartender replied with a smirk.
"I'll show you bigger." the man joked. "Pour me another shot of rye."

The man's name was Marcus Finchely. He was getting quite drunk at this point, and the bartender wasn't stopping him. He downed three more shots of rye, then seemed to forget the ground was capsizing under his feet and tried to make his way to the bathroom. Sure, he got there after many stumbles, but once he was there, he tripped over his own laces, his head hit hard against the ceramic of the nearest urinal and he was out cold.

Don't ask him what happened. For the bathroom had suddenly became a magical place. The left wall was missing, flowers bloomed in the toilet bowls, and vines covered the remaining walls. Past where the left wall had once been, there was a vast orchard. Curious, Marcus pushed himself to his feet, finding the ground had seemed to stop rumbling. He slowly made his way into the orchard, as he found the vast amounts of fruits and berries were being collected by glowing orbs. One curiously moved close to his face, he found it had the figure of a small person with wings. Pixies.

He couldn't begin to make light of this strange place. Whether it was real or not was beyond his knowledge. Though he made his way further into the maze of trees within this orchard. That is, until he spotted a large, golden hued chair with a near human sized fairylike creature sitting in it.

"Who dares enter my garden?" she asked sternly.
"Sorry, I got lost, and---" Marcus stuttered a response, kicking his foot in the ground.

"Hm, it has indeed been some time since a man...as sturdy as yourself... has entered this place. Perhaps I could put you to great use." the fairy went on.
"Use? In which way?" he asked.
"My music box, it has been stolen from me. Take this longsword and shield, then go retrieve it from the goblins under the bridge to the north."

A longsword and shield seemed to materialize from the ground, Marcus cautiously taking these items. He had never used either in his life. However, he would do anything for a woman. He gave a small bow as he said "Yes, Milady."

"Bring it back here and I shall tell you how to return home." she told him. "Off you go."

Marcus headed the diretion he believed was North. The orchard rested only a few short miles from a town, where Marcus passed through. His eyes falling on the many peculiarities in the various stalls.
"My word, Tobuscus?" A female voice asked.

Marcus had heard that name in the past, he was an infamous gamer on youtube. He turned toward the sound of the voice, finding a longnosed woman, perhaps no older than nineteen.

"Uh, no...My name is Marcus." he replied.
"Hmph, I thought you were Toby. I have no use for you, begone." she turned up her nose and crossed her arms as she stumbled away.

Moving on, his arm was suddenly seized by an older woman. "Here son, take this apple...it will be useful to you..." she pressed a red apple into his palm and seemed to disappear. That had been peculiar.

He left the town through the opposing side now, spotting the bridge a short distance away. Though it was low to the water and the water was shallow. How could goblins live under it? He moved closer, having to climb into the muddy stream to get under the low bridge. When he was under, he seen a door. Above the door read: Begone you filthy codswallah.

Marcus pushed into the door, finding eight goblins around a fire. Three of them pointed excitedly. The other three drew bows and arrows to fire.

"Wait!" Marcus urged. "I don't want to fight."
"Aye, whatcha want then?" One spoke in a familiar accent which he couldn't place.
"The Fairy's music box. I can trade you..." Marcus paused, digging in his pockets. Where was his wallet? He had money in there! Someone in the town must have pickpocketed him! Though he did have a sword, shield, and red apple.

He pulled the red apple from his pocket, finding it had turned to stone. But such a brilliant, shiny, red stone it was. It glowed from the flames flickering in the many facets, and was faintly see through.

"I'll trade you this!" he proclaimed.

The goblins huddled, blabbering about something or other and occasionally looking at him. He swore he heard one suggest eating him. Then they broke apart, the box was held out to him.

"Give us tha' shiny thing then." one said to him, he tossed the crystal apple to the one who had spoke as he took the box and waded out. Once out from under the bridge, the fairy queen stood before him, surrounded by small sprites.

"Here's your box." he groaned.
"I really thought they would put up a bigger fight."

"The shiny, it broke! Get the box back from 'im!" the goblins were coming out with weapons ready. They gave chase several yards down the river, Marcus drawing his sword and fighting them off. Not before getting a little scuffed up himself. He held that box firmly the entire fight. Sooner than later, eight dead goblins stained the water and he was once again joined by the fairy.

"You have done well, brave knight. You are welcome in my kingdom any time you wish." she offered.
"I just want to go home, for fuck's sake." Marcus growled.
"So rude! Fine. Wind the box three times and it shall take you home."

Marcus wound the box and waited. The world faded to black. He groaned, as he sat up on the bathroom floor, touching the back of his head. Blood stained his fingertips.

"Sir, sir lie down. Don't strain yourself." a voice told him, he took note of the blurred paramedic uniforms, lying back on the stretcher as they bandaged his head and he was driven out and into a waiting ambulance.

It had all been a strange dream.
♠ ♠ ♠
strangest story I ever wrote.