Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Entering London

Makenzie's young mind raced with possibilities as her small college English class made their way to London. Each spring, the English department offered graduating seniors an educational holiday in London. The bright eyed, optimistic young woman had been looking forward to this trip since she had become aware of it freshman year. In her mind, it was already the greatest week of her college career.

Every group before had their fair share of partiers, troublemakers, those who mysteriously wandered off for hours at a time, those who simply loved the fast pace, and those just relieved to be away for a while. Makenzie Daniels, however, was thrilled by a number of literature related activities Dr. Sims had planned for them. Walking the streets, seeing the very sights, that had inspired Shakespeare and Dickens boggled her mind with excitement. As her peers crowded the shuttle bus' windows, she remained in her seat soaking in what little glimpses the others allowed with her favorite classical tunes filling her ears. The scenery became increasingly metropolitan which meant one thing- they were getting close.

"There's a black motor bike, girls," Caroline squealed, the other females let out their own high pitched noises while pushing the boys away from the glass.

Many of the girls had already planned a game that would last the duration of their stay in London. They were determined to find a celebrity, one in particular, in the next several days. Whoever found the idolized being first only won bragging rights but that seemed to be more than enough incentive for the daft classmates.

"We are about to enter city limits. Please return to your seats and don't move about until I say," the already stressed and tired teacher announced.

Sims was the sort of teacher that was both simple and difficult, many secret variables sending him across a wide spectrum. He was passionate about literature and full of fantastic information on his good days- those classes usually ended with a homework assignment. On his down days, he would do everything from hand out worksheets that wouldn't ever be graded to giving them the class period to finish their previous reading assignments- a catch up day more or less. While highly intelligent, and more kind than cross, Sims was known to be quite emotional. His recent divorce had made him a bit of a weekend alcoholic. Since the teachers seemed to be understanding, the majority of students simply rode the ever-changing tides known as Foundations of English Literature. This was the course students took as a prerequisite for the London trip the semester of their graduation.

"If you would all take out your blue itinerary folders," Sims began with a forced smile. Only a fraction of the group did as they were asked while the rest continued staring at the rapidly growing buildings of London. "We are staying at a hotel within walking distance of Hyde Park. The bus will come to a stop and we shall unload your belongings as quickly as possible. Keep talking at a minimum-understand, ladies?-as I get the room keys. You will have fifteen minutes to unpack, change clothes, use the toilet, get your notebooks together, or do whatever you need before we begin. Meet back in the lobby and we shall begin our learning experience."

"Our learning experience," Makenzie and Sophie mockingly repeated to eachother in hushed voices.
Sophie had been her first friend in college, an English major like herself, and the two had since remained inseparable. They knew everything about eachother and had been roommates since sophomore year. Each knew the other's secrets and they would do anything for eachother. Boys were never the subject of arguments since Sophie was practically engaged and Makenzie hadn't fancied anyone in years. College had been surprising, amusing, sometimes mentally and emotionally demanding, full of late nights, and a joyful season in their lives over all. But after next week, they would be separated by life. After graduation they would rarely see eachother- a fact that neither liked to discuss. This was to be their last adventure together and they had already decided to treat it like their personal graduation holiday, one which had been pre-planned with a few other peers involved.

"What do you think of their manhunt?" Sophie inquired in a tone more amused than curious.

"Honestly? I think they are all a bit mad," Makenzie couldn't help a dismissive laugh. "He probably won't even be in London this week. I mean, what are the chances of running into a specific celebrity in public in just a matter of days? We don't even have but a few glorious hours of freedom to spare. We'd be doing ourselves a favor to fit in as much sight-seeing and wandering around as possible."

Sophie completely agreed with the words her best friend had spoken. But she also knew that mischievous sparkle in Makenzie's eyes that was hidden behind the annoyed act. The girl was already up to something but didn't want the others to catch on. She had done her research weeks ago and already had a plan for their free day tomorrow. An unchaperoned day in London with her best friend. Life couldn't have been better at present. She had always dreamt of visiting London but hadn't the money or proper reason to spend any large amount of time there.

"You're doing the face," Sophie devilishly grinned, wanting in on whatever her clever friend was up to.

"Just a few more minutes then all will be revealed," she grinned with mysterious pride.

"No need to be more cruel than necessary," groaned the pretty blonde.

"Oh, you'll understand perfectly once I show you what I came up with last night."

"I'm so glad you're the planner and not me. You were up every night this week."

"You were too busy sleeping," taunted the leader of the two.

"I was tired! And you should have been sleeping too!"

"Sleeping? Sleeping is boring," Makenzie replied, imitating their favorite telly character perfectly- down to the voice and facial expression.

"Alright, Sherlock," Sophie giggled. "I thought you weren't part of the manhunt."

"I'm not." A sly pause. "But that doesn't mean I'm less of a fan. I'm just more rational about the present situation."

"Which is?"

"As they search the corner of every street and peer into every passing cab, they are going to completely miss the rest of this brilliant city. Their high hopes are going to be dashed when we load back into this metal heap and they will all complain about how they didn't pay close enough attention to the important parts of the trip. I'm not spending a single moment of my time here looking for someone who doesn't even live in the country anymore."

"So in short?"

"In short, I'm not looking for Benedict Cumberbatch!"
♠ ♠ ♠
It is impossible for me to work on one thing at a time. Im having so much fun writing the Sherlock story (http://www.mibba.com/Stories/Read/486578/Sherlock/) that I started this little thing =) Comments are love!