Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

A Long Day in London

Her mind would not allow her more than a few minutes away from those eyes, lips, and the deep sound of his voice. Ben was everywhere to her. He was in one of the hundreds of cabs driving past, possibly on posters somewhere nearby, and there was always the chance he was trying to blend in with a crowd just blocks away. Wherever he was or whatever he was doing, she knew one thing for certain, he was thinking about her today. She was flattered knowing that he was thinking of her even a fraction of the time her thoughts had wandered to him.

The Charles Dickens and Shakespeare walking tour was interesting enough yet she couldn't force the literary concentration she had on Monday. How had this all happened so quickly? Was he seared into her mind so deeply that her educational journey had already come to its end? Certainly not.

Their tour guide had lead them from the single square mile of the City of London, near St. Paul's, to a church Shakespeare used to claim sanctuary, then to locations Dickens wrote about in books like Great Expectations, and finally they found themselves ooing and ahing outside of St. Bartholomew's cathedral. The group left there and were walking towards the church that inspired a scene in Oliver Twist when Makenzie's feet suddenly failed to keep the pace of her peers. She grabbed onto Sophie's arm with a small gasp.

"What?" The blonde looked from her frozen mate then followed the object of her attention. "Bugger me," she whispered, eyes bouncing between the sky and the piece of walkway beside them. "Reichenbach feels," the fangirl giggled.

They were on the precise corner of the hospital that Sherlock took his great fall. The benches and bus stop was all right there. Even the building John ran around was in plain sight. Just being there gave them excited chills. Meeting Benedict was fine and all but they couldn't deny how special this moment was. And the two fangirls got to experience it together.

"We are actually here, Soph. We are seeing the sights and-"

"Well, the sights I have seen are significantly dull compared to the ones you have experienced."

Makenzie gave her best friend a loving squeeze as they walked towards their group several paces ahead. It was because of her daft best friend that she had been allowed to sneak away with Benedict. When Sophie had arrived to the hotel the previous night, she texted Professor Thick and told him that both she and Makenzie were in the room. When their friendship had been put to the test, Sophie made it perfectly clear that she cared equally for the intelligent girl who had always been there for her.

With her arm still around her best mate, Makenzie happily sighed, "It's only because of you Sophie. And the memories we make with him are all your doing. So thank you, my dearest girl." She took special care to include Sophie in the adventures with Benedict.

"What's your bloke doing today anyways? I figured he would have kidnapped you again by now."
Not even Sophie would allow her thoughts to travel elsewhere. Part of her felt a bit embarrassed to be missing him already. It was still morning yet she longed for another night like the one she had already experienced.

The tour guide rattled off a few facts before it began raining. One moment, it was sunny and warm. Then, without warning, clouds from above poured buckets onto them. A few of the girls screamed, the boys remained emotionless, and Mr. Thick acted as if the occurrence happened every day- and symbolically speaking it probably did.

"Everyone jog over here. It'll pass in a few minutes. Does anyone have any questions?"

On the opposite end of St. Bart's hospital was an overhang of sorts, one they had seen on Sherlock many times, where the wall turned into a hall that lead to a large door. They would stay dry here until their first of London showers passed.

"Blimey! Take a look at this girls!" Caroline yelled after a gasp. The females crowded around in seconds flat. "Who is Makenzie?"

At the sound of her name, the clever girl's heart raced and her hopes soared. What message had been left for a Makenzie? Or was it left for her? And if so, who would have known to do such a thing? She pushed through the gapping classmates and took a look of the post-it note herself.

On the bright yellow square was a hand drawn picture of a stickman Sherlock jumping off the roof of Bart's, well a single vertical and horizontal line. Under the drawing, there was a little note in some handwriting that was familiar to most of the girls.

"Makenzie, I am falling for you. -Ben"

"Do you think it's him?" Caroline asked the group of girls with a controlled squeal in her voice.

"Is it who?" The unimpressed Chase interrupted the girls' rather passionate chatter.

"Only the greatest actor of the century, you twit. This is St. Bart's, the hospital Sherlock uses in the series. It's also the place he faked his death- depicted here on this post-it. It's obviously a play on words but who is this for? We need to find her and ask her a few questions."

"I never pegged you for the intellectual type," Makenzie complimented with false praise and a sly grin, not that Caroline knew the difference.

"What a kind thing to say, Maken- Say, you don't know Benedict, do you?"

"Personally? Do be rational. It may not even be him. I'm sure London has thousands of blokes named Ben," the clever girl smiled, walking away from the post-it.

"Alright, all. The rain has stopped so let us continue," their guide laughed, amused with the young hormonal students.

The group started making their way back to the street but one smiling girl lagged behind. Just for safe keeping, Makenzie thought to herself as she ripped the note off the wall. She put it her jacket pocket where it wouldn't get wet or crinkled- treating it a treasure all of her own. Sophie grinned at the sight of her mate catching up with them. She was excited for her friend who more than deserved such a special holiday. They linked arms then continued on their way.

Almost an hour later, Dr. Thick was shaking their guide's hand thanking him for the wonderful tour. The class found the nearest underground station and got there just in time to catch a ride without waiting. Everyone was seated when the doors closed, bored expressions on all but two faces.

-Got your note. Clever you. -MD

-Hope it didn't cause a scene. Break ends in a few minutes but please do your very best to sneak away. I'd love for you to meet everyone. -BC

-I'll try. BTW, can't stop thinking about last night. -MD

-It's all I've thought about since last night. I'm begging you. Gotta go. -BC

"Next is our tour of The Globe, the theatre Shakespeare's works were first performed. This isn't the actual building but a replica built in 1997. We'll grab lunch after his tour, you will have some free time, then we will return here to see one of his pieces performed tonight. St. Paul's cathedral is across the river along with several restaurants. Any questions?"

His dry unenthused tone brought either grins or rolling of eyes to everyone. Of all the English department staff, why did they choose this intolerable man to take students on this literary trip of a lifetime? It was simply unfathomable.

"Was that…?"

"Yeah, he wants me to meet him at setlock."

"You have to go, Kenzie. I'll cover for you."

"I'll make my escape after this. But thanks."

Their whispered conversation caught the attention of both a curious Caroline and the worried Dr. Sims.

"Something you ladies would like to share with the rest of the class?" he asked with a great deal of suspicion.

The two froze for a few seconds, unsure of what lie to use. As expected, Makenzie found the perfect solution.

"Yes, Sophia and I were trying to remember what was on the schedule for tomorrow."

"Tomorrow we will bask in the glories of the Westminster Abbey, marvel at ancient artifacts in the British Museum, and then tour the Kensington Palace." The man's lack of excitement couldn't have been less if he had been sleeping.

While getting off the tube, Sophie whispered, "Tomorrow would be the day to fall ill."
"Hm. Perhaps. But I would like to see Westminster."

"You only have a few more days," she reminded her already torn friend. "Then what?"

"You mean after we return to real life?"

"Yeah." It came out more sad than Sophie had intended but they each knew the truths of their holiday quickly coming to an end. And three days was not very long for a budding romance- especially with a famous actor.

"Then we move on," Makenzie stated, a different kind of sadness in her eyes accompanied by an optimistic smile and shrug.

"Is there such a thing after going through something like this?"

"We'll find out together, I suppose. Just as we do everything else."

"Ladies," Dr. Thick called upon realizing the suspicious two still whispering in the back.

---

The professor and students congregated in the bookstore, full of trinkets and books. Sophie gave Makenzie a nudge when they passed a clock hanging on the wall. Almost noon.

"You better get going."

"Now or never I suppose."

"I'll see you later! Send me a photo of the two of you on set," the blonde gave a playful wink to her already giddy mate.

"See you later, Soph." They hugged then the mission began. "Dr. Sims," the young miss addressed the man still in masked awe. His attention was pulled from the shops' book shelves to the rather pale sickly looking student. "I think I've come down with something." A faked cough and wheeze. "Would you mind terribly if I went back to the hotel."

"But Ms. Daniels, you'll miss everything. The play! You came all this way to spend your holiday in bed?"

"It kills me. Truly it does but-" Another forced cough and cold shiver. "I won't make it through the rest of the week if I don't rest now. Besides, I've seen Twelfth Night several times."

"But not at the Globe, child!"

It was going to take much more than some faked coughs and a warm face to make this man crack into submission. An odd expression filled her face just before she sneezed all over the disgusted teacher.

"For heaven's sake, go back to the hotel. But I expect you to interview one of your classmates about their experience. I want a report before we are back on campus."

"Thank you, sir. I appreciate it."

"We won't see you again until about ten, Ms. Daniels. I trust you'll be there when we arrive."

"Unless I'm out for food or medicine, sir. You have my word."

"On your way," he all but shooed her out the door.

Makenzie's eyes met Sophie's as they mirrored eachother's small grins of mischief. Yes, things were going rather well. If only the rest of the night went as smoothly.

- On my way! -MD

- Brilliant. Get a cab and I'll pay your faire when you arrive. Do you know the address? -BC

- How could I forget? ;) -MD

"187 North Gower Street, please!"

The cab took her back to the street where it all began.
♠ ♠ ♠
Having so much fun writing this! Posts will be very sporadic since school as begun (which means lots of reading for HW). Thank you guys so much for reading and commenting! You guys are seriously the best.
Shout outs to : Certified!Potterhead GabbieRobertson and CartoonBanshee