Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Rainy Day in London

Jane Austen, Charles Darwin, Handel, King Richard II, and the Bronte sisters' graves were in the beautiful abbey. So many royal members of English history and brilliant people all under one spectacular ceiling of carved stone. The stained glass was Makenzie's favorite while Sophie fancied the young bloke walking around asking if anyone needed assistance. The age and beauty of the spectacle almost completed its charm- a bit like someone else she knew.

Bollocks, she thought with a silent groan to herself. Even in the midst of all this, her thoughts continued to drift to him. Their farewells were a bit solemn last night. It was obvious that he wanted her to stay, even knowing nothing would happen, but she couldn't do it. Was she regretting it now? He had changed her world in the most wonderful and terrible of ways. Makenzie promised herself not to talk to him today, even if he texted or rang. She somehow felt it her duty to prepare him for days when she couldn't, more like wouldn’t, answer his calls. Pushing him from her mind, she continued following her group from a few paces behind when possible, catching Sophie up on a few of the more comical events of setlock. It was all very spectacular until Dr. Sims asked everyone to gather near the entrance.

Mr. Thick had eyed her rather hard at breakfast earlier, trying to decide if she looked as ill as she claimed to be yesterday. Then again, what would his most bright student be doing in London alone? He didn't think on the matter very long and she realized that she was in the clear when he didn't approach her before they left the hotel. She was there and ready to leave for the day so he assumed all would be well the remainder of the trip.

"We are now going to the British Museum. Keep your oyster cards in a safe reachable place to hurry the process."

Everyone groaned when Caroline announced with a whine that hers had been lost.

"I swear she bloody does it for attention," Sophie growled under her breath. "You've missed a lot of her and Mr. Biceps-for-brains' little stunts. They have been ridiculous. When one hasn’t done something wrong, the other is flirting. It's sickening!"

"Some are just meant to be- plain and simple," Makenzie sighed feeling rather guilty to have left Sophie to pull through the week's many annoyances on her own. She should have been there much more for her. Yet her best friend never uttered a harsh word or glance.

"Yeah," Soph agreed with a sweet sassy smile. "Some are meant to be, aren't they?" She gently bumped her shoulder against her now blushing friend's.

"Don't start that. I'm not talking to him today."

"You’re what!"

Dr. Simms looked over his shoulder glaring at the two trouble makers in the back. One look was all it took to get them quiet. The group entered back onto the streets, the rain coming down in buckets- not helping Makenzie's already melancholy mood. She continued in a hushed tone telling Sophie how difficult the situation was becoming. Who would have ever guessed that a celebrity would so diligently fight for her most tender affections? She and Sophie both were a bit surprised that no one had suspected anything, all failing to see what was right in front of them.

The museum was dreadfully dull and Kensington felt more of a tourist attraction than anywhere else they had been. The animated voice that took them through their tour lost its charm after the third room. Everyone, with the exception of Mr. Thick, was ready to leave when the middle of the tour came around. Afterwards, they were in yet another shop, little trinkets to bring home to prove that they had been to a specific place in London.

"You could slip away again, you know. Play more sick than before. I looked up some little tricks online- ways to fake the flu from anywhere."

"No," Makenzie half laughed. "I'm not bailing on you again. It's out of the question."

"Bailing on me? I wouldn't exactly call it that, Kenz." She grabbed her dearest friend by the shoulders until their eyes met. "You won't be able to visit long tomorrow night and we leave on Saturday. These are you last chances to live out your most wild dream. You've fancied the bloke since you were fourteen! Now is your chance, Kenzie. You always say you want to make the most of life- be a bit reckless when you can. If now isn't your most rare opportunity then when?"

"But you-"

"Forget me. Let this week be about you for a change." A different sort of expression filled Sophie's face before she whispered, "I don't know if you've even noticed but… he's falling for you."

"Don't say that," Makenzie ordered in a dark tone.

"But he is. No celebrity in their right mind would sneak a student all around London if they didn't. I could tell even that first night that there was something between the two of you."

"Sophie, please stop," the other girl begged with large sad eyes. "You know my situation."

"Yeah," she finally nodded, the same sadness in her tone. "But allow yourself one absolutely mad night of life. You don't have to do anything you'll regret but do something that will always make your heart speed just at the thought of it."

The conversation ended but the day was far from over. They left Kensington Palace a few minutes later. Dr. Simms had made reservations for afternoon tea so they took the tube deeper into the city. Once everyone was seated in the tea room, the dreaded event happened.

- Thinking about you. Everyone is asking about you today. -BC

A sweet waitress took everyone's drink order before dashing back to the kitchen. The room was full of soft chatter and excitement to be away from the dreadful palace. Caroline and Chase sat too closely together, her giggle was noticeable several times. But her male peer's deep chuckle didn't come close to-

- What was on today's schedule? Anything fun? -BC

Sophie heard the aggravated sigh across the small table for two.

"Talk to him," she coaxed. Makenzie only shook her head, as stubborn as ever. "If you don't I'll steal your phone and do it myself."

"You'll do nothing of the sort." Her smile was brief but restored faith in her loyal friend.

"Go. To. Him."

"Go to who?" one of the other girls asked.

Both friends completely froze in their seats.

"The… the uh… bloke at the counter. My fork is slightly bent and a bit dirty," Kenzie lied with a forced grin.

"Oh. Goodness, Makenzie. Are you turning posh? One trip to London and the girl thinks she owns the bloody city," their classmate rambled off as she went off in search of the loo.

"And it's becoming risky. We’ve done so well with everything and I'm not sure how much longer-"

"I know, I know," Sophie whispered in return. "We have the rest of the night free, you know."

"Yes, what would you like to do?"

"I’d like you to hop into a cab and go see your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend!" It came out a bit louder and more harsh than intended but thankfully didn't draw anyone's attention away from Chase balancing a spoon on his nose.

"I'm finding a theatre and seeing a proper production of a musical-purposefully one you loathe and I adore-then going to bed so we can spend our last day together. Then we'll leave tomorrow night up to fate."

"As if fate cares," Makenzie lowly hissed, her gaze finding the window. The rain was lightening up but still added to her feelings of dread and indecision.

"Someone out there cares. I can't think of another reason for all this to be happening to you of all people."

It was a good argument but one Makenzie didn't want to hear. She had questioned religion far too long to believe in any one thing now. What she truly believed in was becoming more hazy as the years flew by, all too quickly for someone her age. Another buzz from her pocket forced her thoughts elsewhere.

- Is everything alright? You always answer so quickly. Sorry, don't mean to pry. Just concerned for your safety. -BC

"My show begins in three hours. We can walk around for an hour or two, then I'm going to the Novello Theatre."

"Which show?"

"Momma Mia," Sophie announced with pride, hiding a giggle when her friend released yet another hissing sound.

"We'll see. I wouldn’t mind a solo tour of the city to clear my head."

"You've always been such a social loner, you know that?"

"It's who I am."

"Yeah, but you're also a hopeless romantic." Their eyes met, not challengingly but with understanding.

Their tea and small sandwiches were placed on the tables by several smiling staff members. Perhaps they didn't know it had been raining all day. They surely didn't know that it had been raining in her heart since his first text today. A perfect "good morning, beautiful".

---

He was losing all hope. Had he done something to offend her? Had he been misreading all the signs he thought she was giving him? Didn't she know how much he-

"Last take everyone. Then we can all go home. Ben and Martin, once more, gents."

The last take went without a hitch. The set was full of smiles and the fangirl crowd had been ordered off Gower Street a few minutes ago, giving the actors the "all clear" they needed to go home. While taking their costumes off, Martin continued eying his mate. Ben hadn't said anything but the hobbit could read his dragon all too well.

"What is it then?"

"What is what?" Ben sighed, doing his best to appear chipper while inside he was worried and anxious.

"You. You've been a bit off between takes all day."

"Just concentrating is all," Cumberbatch laughed the suggestion off as if his thoughts hadn't been on her all day.

Martin mumbled a curse beneath his breath before getting to the point, "Have you talked to her today?"

"What does that mat-"

"Have you?"

Ben took a few seconds to muster a soft, "I've tried but she didn't reply."

"And that is because…?"

He didn't know why he was suddenly smiling but the thought of her all fiery and torn with herself last night gave him emotions he thought he had lost long ago.

"She's different. She's like a spontaneous summer day and skipping stones while discussing poetry and music. She lets me get so close but stays just mysterious enough to keep me on my toes. A clever pretty thing, that one." Turning to his friend, he concluded, "I care for her and can't even tell you the one thing it is the most. I don't know what makes her so…" He sighed while running his hands through his sprayed hair to separate the curls of his Sherlock hair.

The back door opened yet everyone was in the front preparing to leave for the night. Ben and Martin exchanged fearful glances. If a single fangirl found the secret route from the street to the backdoor, they would have to increase security to an uncomfortable level. Slowly, the door opened to reveal a feminine silhouette. Both men stared with anticipation.

Benedict couldn't explain the relief he felt as she walked into the light. Her tan raincoat suited her perfectly, those wet curls bouncing as she silently, confidently, walked towards him. Without a single glance towards Martin, Makenzie Daniels wrapped her arms around Ben as she had done her first time on set. He held onto her for dear life resting his cheek on the top of her head, cradling her in his arms.

Ever so gently, he pulled her face from his chest to stare into those bright mischievous eyes.

"Is it too late to take you up on your offer for that note, Mr. McCarthy?"

Without reply, Ben pulled her back into his chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this chapter is a bit long. I didn't want to make it two smaller chapters. For those who don't understand the "Pretty in Pink" reference, Andrew McCarthy asks Molly Ringwald to a party. While everyone else is partying and making out (to say the least) he promises not to lay a finger on Molly. In the context of the story, Makenzie is more or less letting Ben know that she isn't willing to have sex just because they are hanging out. Hope that was helpful. Enjoy and please comment!