Status: While writing my other Sherlock story, I thought this would be fun. Heaven forbid I work on one project at a time. ENJOY AND COMMENT!

Starcrossed

Firelight

She wasn't sure what exactly Ben had whispered to Mark but she deduced that it was some sort of surprise. The two men smiled at one another as if the two of them had a secret of their own. It made Makenzie slightly nervous yet excited. Benedict, now in a simple cotton shirt and jeans, told the writer good evening, took the few paces towards her, then grabbed her hand with the sweetest of smiles. He was genuinely pleased that she had come. It was silly to think I'd make it an entire day without talking to him, Kenzie thought with her own beaming grin.

"Ready?" She blushed when his hand affectionately squeezed hers.

"If you are. Where to?"

"Well, it's still early in the evening. We finished a few hours earlier than expected so the night is ours."

Makenzie kept quiet as they walked onto the main street to catch a cab. Where did one go with their celebrity crush? He had already been so kind to take her shopping and to a posh dinner. They had found the most intoxicating comfort while simply talking on Mark's sofa. But tonight felt different than the previous nights. She knew him better now as he did her. They were friends to say the least- it happened so fast. And she didn't remember the precise moment they somehow shifted to something more. Or was that just her wishful thinking screaming louder than the logic that usually lead her path?

"What's your favorite place in all of London?"

Her question caught him off guard as he laughed, "My favorite place in London? What made you think of that?"

"Take me there, wherever it is- if it will be safe for you, of course."

He contemplated her request for a moment before a cab stopped for them. Ben held the door open for Makenzie then slid in beside her with an expression that told her he had decided where they were going.

"St. Paul's please," he told the driver with a sense of pride, holding her hand yet again. She grinned as the small circles from the other night returned soothingly against her skin.

As they were driven across London, Benedict told her a few comical stories from the set. It had been prank day and no one was safe. Moffat asked Gatiss about a "missing scene" that almost drove Mark mad with worry. Sue made a comment about a new deadline which turned out to be a joke. Some of the crew found the box of Martin's extra mustaches- that was a hysterical mess. And even Ben was viciously teased about the neutron cream from the Star Trek set- would he ever live that one down?

The cabbie was paid and thanked before they began their journey. Hand in hand, they walked down Godliman Street and crossed Queen Victoria Street onto a pedestrian walkway.

"The Globe is right across the river, yeah?"

"Yes, correct," Ben smirked, impressed of the female tourist's rare sense of direction. "But to get there, we have to cross the Millennium Bridge."

As they approached the bridge, Ben pulled his jacket hood up over his iconic hair- just to be safe. Their fingers entwined in that perfect way as they took their first steps over the Thames River. He noticed her hesitance, nothing obvious, and glanced down at her. The cautious look in her stare over the edge hinted at what was wrong.

"Don't fancy bridges?"

"Heights. They always make me a bit dizzy," she confessed.

She could tell that he immediately took it as a challenge. Benedict took her to the very center of the bridge then walked as far to the edge as possible. She made a silly comment about him trying to make her sick but he only shook his head with that handsome smile, silently promising to take care of her. Ben put her hands on the rail then moved behind her. His hands were right beside hers, his face inched up besides hers, and her back warmed from the heat of his chest leaned over her. It was all she could do to breathe between him being so close and her up against one of her greatest fears.

"This is my favorite place in London," he whispered in her ear. His low sentimental voice was the most soothing sound she could remember. "The scenery from any view on this bridge could be the perfect photo- especially at night. I love watching the London night life, hearing the boats up and down the river, the reflections in the water, the pallet of colors as the sun falls behind the skyline, and hearing the whispers of the young lovers."

Makenzie had taken notice of each aspect of the bridge as he spoke- finding a boat, truly seeing each color of the sky, and watching the lights dance on the water. It was odd how she felt herself agreeing with each of his observations. All was so serene until he mentioned lovers. The word had never stuck out to her before that very moment.

Lovers. Is that what they were becoming? Would they ever reach that point? She would only be in London these two last evenings yet his words from the other night echoed through her mind, neither could say what the future held. She didn't know what to expect from the hours to come. What she did know was that she didn't mind being so close to the edge over the Thames, now that he was practically holding her whispering the 'sweet nothings' she had heard about as a child. So this was-

"Kenzie?"

"What?"

"I asked what you were thinking," the soft voice bounced, his breath tickling her skin.

Makenzie turned in his arms, now slightly leaning back over the rail. There was something different about the way this stare made each of them feel. A single shared question filled their minds at that moment. It was the only question that seemed to matter. How much longer could they keep pretending? Her educational holiday and his filming in London were coming to quick ends. The summer was just beginning. And the way they each felt in the other's arms made them believe that they would see eachother again. Their duties and routines would continue but they had become part of eachother's lives.

"I'm not afraid of heights anymore," she whispered with a shy grin. How could she begin to tell him all the thoughts and feelings flooding through her being? The summer breeze blew a strand of her hair in her face but it only took a second for Ben to romantically slide the hair behind her ear.

---

He wouldn't tell her why but they went back to Mark's place to grab a few of his things. Makenzie was completely confused when he returned from the back room pulling his rolling luggage along.
"What are you doing?" she laughed, more nervous now than she had ever been with him.

"It's a surprise."

"Not exactly. I'm deducing that you're going to take me somewhere else for the night. You're going to try to make tonight special by taking me to a posh hotel. You'll be a gentleman but secretly be hoping for a little more," the student worked out aloud in a soft but factual tone.

"Correct on all accounts," he sighed a bit embarrassed, and a bit turned on. "When did I become rubbish at surprises?" He anxiously looked around the room while running a hand through his hair.

The blue eyed girl took a step towards him then bravely placed both hands on his shoulders. His breathing changed at her boldness and their sudden proximity.

"When you found someone who thought the same way." Her tone was strong and fearless, making it all the more difficult for him not to snog her right then and there. But that wasn't what she wanted- and he couldn't bloody figure it out.

Almost an hour later, they were walking into the hotel suite. Ben strolled right in as Makenzie took her time, noticing every detail of the spacious dwelling. He turned after noticing how far behind she was and allowed himself a small chuckle.

"Impressed now?" he teased.

"No," Makenzie replied. She was maintaining her calm expression yet her eyes hadn't stopped moving since the door opened.

"Tea?" he smirked.

"Please." The girl finally made herself comfortable on the large sofa in front of the fireplace.

This was without a doubt the most expensive room, well rooms, she had ever been in, let alone slept in. Their suite for the night made her dorm room appear third world in comparison. Once the tea was made, Benedict placed both steaming mugs onto the sofa table. He disappeared again but Makenzie didn't question him; she was too deep in thought. The lights suddenly dimmed and the fireplace came to life. Now she was curious. Makenzie watched him stride towards the sofa before taking his seat next to her.

"Shouldn't this be champagne or something?" she playfully challenged in that sweet manner he adored.

"I didn't want you to think I was-"

"Only joking," she lightly giggled. Oh, he was the gentleman.

He felt her sudden shiver then asked, "Are you cold?"

"Still a bit chilled from the rain is all." Though she meant to keep independent and tough, it tugged at her heart when he left only to return with a large soft blanket. "Thank you," she blushed as he situated them beneath the soft cover- again, more expensive than she would ever dream for herself.

They began to chat about their days, leaving no detail untold. The pair laughed, sighed, and mused at what the other had to say, both completely engaged and genuinely interested. Finally, the room fell silent. Between the beautifully glowing fire, the tea, and the blanket they were more than cozy and warm- despite the storm that had returned during their talk.

"What's your favorite love song?" he asked her. She was nestled into his side with his arm around her yet they were parted enough to see eachother's telling faces and expression.

"I'm afraid my perception of romantic love is a bit twisted. Sad love songs are my favorite. There hasn't been a reason to change my slightly dark theories on the matter… until now." Ben's gaze stayed fixed on her, still expectant and patiently waiting for a proper answer. "Poison and Wine by The Civil Wars. I think they call it bluegrass or folk music in the states."

"I've actually heard it. Beautiful tune," he answered with bright eyes.

Ben quickly pulled out his phone. Makenzie was almost hurt at his sudden disinterest. He brought her all the way up to a posh suite just to find her dull now, of all nights? She was further confused when he rose from the sofa without warning. Her heart began to race when he, standing before her looking like a prince from a dream, held out his hand for her to take.

"May I?"

She knew what she wanted to be happening but the idea was so childish and immature. It was unfair how difficult he was making her situation. Benedict Cumberbatch was even more perfect than she could accept. Her hand slid into his before he pulled her up. The second they were both vertical, the first familiar chords of the song began to play from his mobile. A shy giggle escaped her as he led her to the other side of the table in front of the fireplace.

They took the familiar ballroom dancing stance, only a more casual version, then seemed to float up from the carpet. Bashful grins and glances were exchanged several times as they eventually relaxed. Sometime during the first chorus, Ben pulled her into his chest, his favorite place for her to be. Without question or permission, Makenzie wrapped one arm around his neck and the other hand was pressed to his chest. His head tilted against hers so intimately.

Right then left. A slight turn. Repeat.

Firelight bounced from all around the room as rain tapped against the large window making this such a romantic setting. As they spun around the glowing amber room, Makenzie tried to memorize the emotions she was feeling, the way he felt pressed against her, the way their bodies slowly moved together, and the rain in the background. In a word, it was perfect.

I don't love you but I always will. No, I don't love you but I always will.

The climax of the song was approaching when Benedict moved in her arms to stare into her eyes. The light dancing on her face made her look even more like the angel she was. Her eyes were so full of mature innocence- he couldn't quite explain that mixture of emotions they made him feel. Makenzie Daniels made him feel like flying and falling all at once. He had been fighting it for days and didn't think he could last much longer. His hands moved from her waist and back to slide up to her face.

Her heart was beating so violently as it never had before. The moment she had been waiting for and dreading was here. She couldn't force her eyes closed as his lips flawlessly inched their way to hers. The music was built to its peak. Every fiber of her being felt like electric. She wanted this more than she knew how to fight. If she wasted another fraction of a second in thought, it would happen.

Without a word, she turned her head so that his lips pressed delicately against her cheek. They continued to gracefully sway despite the confusion and mild pain in his face. He stood still as the last chords of the music filled the room. Once the song had ended, both realized how close they still were to one another- their stare quite intense. Makenzie specifically noticed the way his hands were still gently at her neck.

"So tell me what happened to Makenzie Daniels that causes her to guard her emotions and heart so carefully." She didn't answer right away. "Even with her celebrity crush doing his best to make a polite move," he added to try and lift the slightly tainted mood."

"The quick version," she began, her eyes now focused beyond window behind him, "I fell completely in love with him after his several attempts. Then he took a few pieces of me and went on as if we were going to last forever- without a trace of doubt." She could hardly believe that she was being so open with him. She had never spoken about it this way to anyone. Those who knew the story had seen everything first hand. "All along, I had loved him so much more than he ever loved me. I was the only one who didn't know. That was my second year of college so afterwards, I dedicated myself entirely to family and academics believing that another serious relationship would just become an anchor."

Before she could speak another word, Ben's stare deepened as he asked with genuine curiosity, "Do you think I would become an anchor?"
His heart was now beating as hard as hers with a bit of dread. She would give him one of two answers and he couldn't bear the thought of her leaving London without knowing how she truly felt. Her hesitance made him all the more anxious.

Staring up into his wonderful pleading eyes, Makenzie whispered, "It's the wings you've given me that makes me afraid. Your ability to take me up so high-"

Benedict pressed his lips to hers with all the urgency she had been feeling all day. She wanted to be mad at him for kissing her despite their previous conversations. But as soon as she gave into him and kissed him back, she couldn't think of anything except how much she was falling in love with Benedict Cumberbatch. And for that second, she entertained the thought that he was possibly falling for her too.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had so many reviews/comments from my last chapter on both sites I post to. Aw, you all are precious! To return the love, here is another chapter! With awesome readers like you, how could I possibly make you wait? So here is my thank you... Enjoy!